How to remove a computer password

vbimport

How do you bypass a password on the computer so you can logon? .I bought it at a yardsale and don’t know the password. It’s a compaq.

Is this password in the bios or is it one for a Windows user account? Which operating system is it?

If it is in the bios, the password won’t let you change bios settings.

If it is in the operating system you need the password to run the system and use programs.

To remove the password in the bios you can try clearing cmos (put a jumper across the clear cmos pins). This doesn’t always work.

To remove the password in Windows you can try booting into Safe Mode by hitting F8 as you start the computer. Login as Administrator. Go to Start–>Control Panel–>User Accounts. Look up the account with the password and reset it.

[QUOTE=hakingston;2529173]How do you bypass a password on the computer so you can logon? .I bought it at a yardsale and don’t know the password. It’s a compaq.[/QUOTE]

Why not go back to the person(yard sale) and ask them for the password, also there are software that can recover lost passwords :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=hakingston;2529173]It’s a compaq.[/QUOTE] Would you happen to know which particular compaq model and type number?

[QUOTE=hakingston;2529173]How do you bypass a password on the computer so you can logon? .I bought it at a yardsale and don’t know the password. It’s a compaq.[/QUOTE]
I literally did this the other day as I had to fix a friend’s computer who forgot her password. I have 2 options: you can find a copy of ERD Commander somewhere online and burn it to disc and use the Locksmith program within it or you can go to this link (which I used), download this small file to to create a bootable disc and boot to it to remove it. It does work!

Good luck!

Wyman

If the password is requested on a plain text screen (e.g. no mouse on the screen) and is requested just a few seconds of powering on, then it’s most likely a BIOS password. From my experience, the simplest way of clearing this is by unplugging the PC and removing the battery from the motherboard. Most motherboards use a CR2032 battery, which is about the size of a Euro or Quarter coin. Leave the battery out for a few minutes, then put it back in and power up the PC. Usually this is simpler than trying to find the CMOS reset jumper and works with most motherboards.

For a Windows password, use the Windows password reset boot CD as in the above link or here. This works in pretty much all Windows OS’s, including Vista and Windows 7. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2529454]If the password is requested on a plain text screen (e.g. no mouse on the screen) and is requested just a few seconds of powering on, then it’s most likely a BIOS password. From my experience, the simplest way of clearing this is by unplugging the PC and removing the battery from the motherboard. Most motherboards use a CR2032 battery, [/QUOTE]If this is a (former) business line computer, this procedure will often fail. In that case, the only option is to ask the customer support of the computer manufacturer for assistance.

Michael

Which Windows Version do you use?
Make sure that you do the following on your computer or another computer with the owners permission only.

for XP:
1 >> Log into safe mode
2 >> Log in as the computer Administrator, “Administrator” for the username
3 >> Leave the password blank
4 >> Control panel and change the password for your account

[QUOTE=Jesuswu;2529871]Which Windows Version do you use?
Make sure that you do the following on your computer or another computer with the owners permission only.

for XP:
1 >> Log into safe mode
2 >> Log in as the computer Administrator, “Administrator” for the username
3 >> Leave the password blank
4 >> Control panel and change the password for your account[/QUOTE]

That would work if it just windows login password. Once it’s a Bios password you going to need to take it to the seller and have them remove the Bios or go to the local dealer and have them reset the Bios or another if there is a battery remove the battery and disconnect from the PS and see if that resets the Bios or do a CMOS clear jumper.