How to reformat my harddrive?

vbimport

Hello

I have a compaq PC that came with windows XP home pre-installed. I do not have a CD with the windows XP (never got one with the PC). I think the windows/system files reside on the “D” drive partition.

I want to format the hard drive and re-install the windows XP. Not sure if this is possible without the CD…Please advise.

Thanks

If you have restore partition then there should be an option at boot up that will run the restore program. This will reset your computer to the state it was in when you first got it. If you don’t have an option at boot up, check your owner’s manual, there should be a section on how to restore your computer. If you don’t have the manual, there may be some user docs on you pc, if not there, check the manufacturer’s website. They will most likey have an online or downloadable manual.

Thanks…there is an option at boot to restore the PC to an earlier date or original state. But is this the same as formatting the HD? I mean will this erase all personal information from my computer? I am giving my PC away so wanted to ensure all personal data is deleted.

Thanks again.

If you choose the “original state” then yes, anything you’ve added since you got the pc will be lost. Be sure to backup whatever data you might want to save.

[QUOTE=bob2000;2187433]Hello

I have a compaq PC that came with windows XP home pre-installed. I do not have a CD with the windows XP (never got one with the PC). I think the windows/system files reside on the “D” drive partition.

I want to format the hard drive and re-install the windows XP. Not sure if this is possible without the CD…Please advise.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If this is a store bought pc then you should have partition on the HDD that contains the image to make recover cd/dvd for you compaq. If not contact HP/Compaq to order your recover cd/dvd. That way you will restore it to factory settings and then after that customize it and make a Acronis image of the HDD to restore your new settings. You program if from HP should have the Sonic or Roxio express burning program that will create the cd/dvd from the image on the D: partitons.