How to reformat DVD-RAMI had a bad writing session (not unusual) and lost the ability to write further in the RAM disc, only read. Is there a way to reformat it back to normal DVD-RAM? Windows does no

vbimport

I had a bad writing session (not unusual) and lost the ability to write further in the RAM disc, only read. Is there a way to reformat it back to normal DVD-RAM? Windows does not present me a Format option for it.
I know it can be reused with other formats, but I mean RAM.

Nero Incd?

I have the BD-RE disk that came with my GGW-20L that has gone bad, wish there was a way to recover that disk. I used it to test whether something I was trying to do worked without wasting a expensive write once blank and after about 10 burns it’s no good.
Apparently that’s very typical for that disk that came with the drive so you had something to actually use if you didn’t have any blanks or couldn’t afford them.
At first I thought the burner had packed it in but then I googled the disk and saw most users got a very short life out of them before they went bad.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2543783]Nero Incd?[/QUOTE]:iagree: Or Panasonic’s DVD-RAM software. :slight_smile:

In case the disc is reported as “Write Protected”, this might help: http://club.myce.com/f105/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-188143/index5.html#post2476330

Michael

I have a Pioneer BD drive, and still W2000. Tried to look up some of the suggestions but haven’t latched on to anything. It needs to be back to actual DVD-RAM.
(Had trouble logging back in. I guess it needs the user name, which is NOT the email address.)

[QUOTE=gsv;2544210]I have a Pioneer BD drive, and still W2000. [/quote]Ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers. You need to edit the DVDRAM.inf file before installation to get your drive supported. Somewhat tricky.
The other option would be InCD, but I don’t know if their latest version supports W2k.

(Had trouble logging back in. I guess it needs the user name, which is NOT the email address.)
:iagree: you need to enter the username you had chosen during registration.

Michael

I tried some things and we might have some interesting comments now.
Did not try the Toshiba suggestion. Found nothing regarding Panasonic application.
I am able to install XP in addition to 2000, which I did. Tried the DVD format. It uses the FAT32 system. This is not DVD-RAM.
I’ve seen the same discussion and suggestions elsewhere too. People should at least say their suggestion is for something DIFFERENT.
I’m also trying to use this as an alternative to InCD.

Does ImgBurn format DVD RAM

I suggest that you use DVDForm
with the box “[B]fomat physically” ENABLED[/B]

[QUOTE=franz99;2549998]I suggest that you use DVDForm
with the box “[B]fomat physically” ENABLED[/B][/QUOTE]

More information? That seems to be proprietary Panasonic material.

Dartman - Can’t you erase it?

This post should be deleted.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2543829]I have the BD-RE disk that came with my GGW-20L that has gone bad, wish there was a way to recover that disk. I used it to test whether something I was trying to do worked without wasting a expensive write once blank and after about 10 burns it’s no good.
Apparently that’s very typical for that disk that came with the drive so you had something to actually use if you didn’t have any blanks or couldn’t afford them.
At first I thought the burner had packed it in but then I googled the disk and saw most users got a very short life out of them before they went bad.[/QUOTE]
Can’t you erase it?

[QUOTE=gsv;2549138]Did not try the Toshiba suggestion. Found nothing regarding Panasonic application.[/quote]The DVD-RAM drivers from Toshiba are in fact the Panasonic drivers. Or check Panasonic support website for their Toughbooks.

I am able to install XP in addition to 2000, which I did. Tried the DVD format. It uses the FAT32 system. This is not DVD-RAM.

Of course not. UDF write support has been added with Vista. On NT5.x you need 3rd party software like InCD or the Panasonic drivers.

Michael

[QUOTE=gsv;2550023]More information? That seems to be proprietary Panasonic material.[/QUOTE]
DVD Form is part of what people call the “Panasonic DVD RAM driver”

I have used it successfully with an LG branded burner supporting DVD-RAM

With the box [B]“format physically” ENABLED[/B] I have been able to recover as new every DVD RAM with problems (disc “badly formated” ?)

I have questions and doubts about these suggestions. Assuming I can get and install the Panasonic driver. I found it in a search but it sounds like only for Panasonic.
I’m not inclined to fiddle with the Toshiba software.
What would happen to my existing drivers. What would work or not work? Obviously my W2000 has a DVD-RAM driver because it can write and read.
By the way I’ve seen other discussions where guys are trying to format a brand new DVD-RAM disc. This is completely wrong.

[QUOTE=gsv;2550267]I found it in a search but it sounds like only for Panasonic.[/QUOTE]

Try this version: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0gx73i

[QUOTE=gsv;2550267]I have questions and doubts about these suggestions. Assuming I can get and install the Panasonic driver. I found it in a search but it sounds like only for Panasonic.[/quote]If this is from Panasonic Toughbook support website, then you need to unzip it (twice?) with 7zip until you have the complete folder structure.

I’m not inclined to fiddle with the Toshiba software.
These are original Panasonic drivers minus Panasonic drive requirement.

What would happen to my existing drivers. What would work or not work?
Depends. If there is an older version of the Panasonic drivers installed, then you will be asked if you want to update them. Assuming you have different software like InCD or Roxio’s equivalent (Drag-to-Disc etc) installed, then it is better to get rid of that before you install the Panasonic drivers.

Obviously my W2000 has a DVD-RAM driver because it can write and read.
Then there is 3rd party software installed.

Michael

[QUOTE=franz99;2550158]DVD Form is part of what people call the “Panasonic DVD RAM driver”

I have used it successfully with an LG branded burner supporting DVD-RAM

With the box [B]“format physically” ENABLED[/B] I have been able to recover as new every DVD RAM with problems (disc “badly formated” ?)[/QUOTE]
[B]In order [U]to only re-format[/U] a DVD-RAM disc [/B]
the file [B]DVDForm.exe [/B]can be used separetly [U]without [/U]ianstalling anything to the system

Just look what DVDForm indicates
when you have your problematic DVD-RAM disc in your burner …

[B]Example:[/B]

After successfully re-formating physically a DVD-RAM with the [B][U]file[/U][/B] DVDForm :

1°) Under XP nude (i.e with no third party software installed) it is only possible to write (using drag & drop) on the disc if you have formated the disc in [B]FAT32[/B]

2°) To be able to write (using drag & drop) to a DVD-RAM disc formated in UDF you need to install the “DVD-RAM driver” [B]on your system[/B]

Hello again. I wasn’t notified of those last answers.
I don’t know why my W2000 can handle DVD-RAM. I assumed it’s built that way.
But I was [B]surprised to find that XP cannot support it[/B]. And my INCD installation in XP doesn’t work now.
You say Vista and W7 support DVD-RAM. What surprise would I find there? Will they format to the ACTUAL DVD-RAM format, no tricky errors or misunderstandings?
But I hope to stay with W2000 for quite some time. I’ve had enuf complications, and these suggestions are quite formidable.