How to reduce the cost of printing each DVD cover / photo?

Currently have a Canon MP210 - happy with the quality of the prints but the cost of each print seems prohibitive

If my calculations are correct you get at best about a dozen or so A4 sized prints per colour cartridge and each cartridge costs circa £15 (27 dollars)

The printheads come inbuilt into the ink cartridges so its not cheap to replace them even with “compatible” cartridges which are not much cheaper than originals

I have been told that with printers such as the Canon IP4000 the printheads are not built into the cartridges & so do not have to be replaced meaing a compatible refill is MUCH cheaper (circa £1 / 1.8 dollars) i.e. all you are buying is some ink in a plastic tank

As such does anybody have any recommendations with regards to a new printer where the cost of repacement ink is really cheap ike with the Canon IP4000

I use cartridges (BCI-6) in my Canon printers (iP4000, i960, MP780 & S520) that cost $1.59 each. Using quality third party inks is the only way you are going to print economically with ANY ink jet printer. Search on ebay and buy a decent Canon ink jet printer that uses BCI-6 cartridges. These cartridges don’t have chips and can be bought cheap from third party ink sellers and if you refill at home (very easy to do) the cost is under $1 per cartridge.

The Canon printers using CLI-8 cartridges can also be easily refilled for less than $1 per cartridge and you can still buy new printers that use them for very good prices. You can also get a chip resetter for the CLI-8 cartridges if you want to maintain ink level monitoring capability. Either way you can still refill and run these printers.

thanks for the info

does anybody have any recommendations of specific printer models ?

As an alternative to buying a new printer I could try a continuous ink system i.e.
http://cityinkexpress.co.uk/MP_210-Continuous_ink_system_for_Canon_MP210.html

Quite expensive at £50 (90 dollars) coonsidering I only paid £15 for my printer

Does anybody have any opinion / advice as to whether I should buy a new printer or opt for the CISS ?

Look for an Epson R285, can be found for around £60, with compatible carts about £1.35 each, or a Canon ip4500 also for around £60, with carts about £1.25.

There are CISS systems for the epsons for about £25ish.

It probably depends how much you are going to use it. I use my Epson (R220 - old model with carts about 75p) a fair amount, but still use carts as I don’t have any space suitable to run a CISS system

Have a look at svp.co.uk for carts and CISS systems.

If you do buy a new printer, consider selling the original carts that come with the printer on ebay, and just use the compatible ones from the start, you’d probably get a third of the costs of the printer back straight away.

[QUOTE=Inigo_Montoya;2146660]thanks for the info

does anybody have any recommendations of specific printer models ?

As an alternative to buying a new printer I could try a continuous ink system i.e.
http://cityinkexpress.co.uk/MP_210-Continuous_ink_system_for_Canon_MP210.html

Quite expensive at £50 (90 dollars) coonsidering I only paid £15 for my printer

Does anybody have any opinion / advice as to whether I should buy a new printer or opt for the CISS ?[/QUOTE]

New printer will save you money in the long run, over using what you have. If you want to stay with a multi-function, the MP600, MP610 and MP620 are the best value-vs-features models. If you want just a printer, the IP4000, IP4300, IP4500 or IP4600 are all pretty much the same machine. Compatible tanks are available for all except the IP4600 and MP620. The IP3000, IP3500 and IP3600 are a lesser quality printer, but still quite acceptable for many folks.

Any of the above choices will cut your ink costs in half.