How to recognize a bootleg?

vbimport

Is there a way to recognize a bootleg according to the dvd disc surface?
Or something else, besides the covers?

How hard is to make a good bootleg? is bootlegs now days becoming more and more difficult to discover?

I want to make a purchas on e-bay, im buying from e-bay a lot of times and now i want to try to buy a few original dvd’s.

If i see that the seller has a tons of original dvd’s, is there a chance they might be a bootlegs even if he got a huge amount of them?

A wholesaler, can make bootlegs as well?

Thank you.

Original commercially manufactured DVDs and Cd’s are pressed which is silver colored and is noticeably different.

wow… thats nice… i looked now on original dvd and a blank one and the surface in the original is silver while on the blank one is much brighter and weird color.

is it always like that 100%? there is no way bootlegs can be silvers also?

Yes. Writable DVDs are purple or green. Writable CDs are also colored, but often that color is real close to silver. Also many bootleg labels are printed using an inkjet and will dissolve with a little alcohol. And another clue is the information printed around the hub. You can often Google that number and find the manufacturer.

labels you mean the picture on the dvd itself?
Can i try it carefully?

As for the numbers, i have on both the original & the blank.
On the original its much longer.

[QUOTE=tan21;2545353]labels you mean the picture on the dvd itself?
Can i try it carefully?

As for the numbers, i have on both the original & the blank.
On the original its much longer.[/QUOTE]

Contact the software vendor or the software manufacture and they can tell you how to spot bootleg media. That should be the first thing you do cause they will have more experience in that field.

But i wont do it with each dvd ill buy… i have no idea who is the vendor, im just buying from e-bay seller.
And its pointless asking the seller, cause he wont tell you “amm yeah its a bootleg” so naturally… :confused:

They say “Princo” on them. :wink:

Couldn’t resist, sorry :slight_smile:

Along with the advice given, if the underside is a purpley colour, load up DVDIdentifier (free software, Google should throw up a link), and see if it gives any “Manufacturer” or “MID” info. :wink:

Considering from Ebay I would have hesitant unless you buy from Amazon would be a better choice and more reputable online seller. I never said check each media you buy but they should give you a idea how to check the media for proof that it is a legitimate media purchase not a bootleg purchase.

Thanks !
I will try the DVDIdentifier.
Can someone use the pressed method to make bootlegs?

It is possible for a large scale piracy outfit to make pressed counterfeit disks, but the machinery is much more expensive, and takes some expertise not normally seen in such ventures. It does happen. I found an old article talking about piracy rates in 2001, in which there were estimated to be 1.9 billion pirate copies of music cds released worldwide, of which 500 million were pressed versions.

wow… 1.9b…
I really dont know what to do, honestly…
I cant buy from amazon, they wont sell to my country.
I dont want to buy in my country the games i want because my country selling them for a very [VERY, sometimes 50% more] expensive price…
And in my country you cant find all the classics, only the new games, were not so developed when it comes to gaming.

Maybe i just buy from ebay and thats all.
Ill check my dvd’s with the methods you told me and i guess it will be enough, its not like i have another choice…:frowning:

And… i also found an artical and its been written that sometimes bootlegs can be found in retial stores though its the store fault.

Bootleg pressed discs are quite common in China. Like the official discs, they are silver on the bottom. For the few DVDs I’ve seen from someone who visited China, the discs did experience a rather odd issue - they would not read in any DVD writer (out of five) I’ve tried, yet would read in a DVD-ROM drive and play in standalone DVD player. If I placed a disc in any DVD writer or set-top DVD recorder, it would act as if no disc was loaded.

Quite a common tell-tale sign of a bootleg is to look at the inlet. Many official discs come with a multi-page inlet, while the bootleg only has a single sheet, usually printed on one-side only, i.e. nothing printed inside the cover. This is especially true for most Audio CDs, where the majority of official discs have a multi-page jewel-case inlet.

guess i just buy my games with online distribution and then just burn them.
I did it once from games.co.uk

But then there is this worry that my dvd disc might betray me one day so ill need to make enough copies.

Why ho WHY everything is so complicated this days.:sad:

[QUOTE=tan21;2545422]guess i just buy my games with online distribution and then just burn them.
I did it once from games.co.uk

But then there is this worry that my dvd disc might betray me one day so ill need to make enough copies.

Why ho WHY everything is so complicated this days.:sad:[/QUOTE]

Huh??? Ebay is only in the US and your saying you can’t get it from Amazon which is located in the US as Ebay is - that I know of? That part doesn’t make sense…makes one wonder what is really being asked here??? Sounds like the response doesn’t match what was being asked?? IMO

When I’m in Philippines visiting family I find the Bootleg DVDs that my family buy have gold on the DVD side and as well silver and they are pressed DVDs. What you should do is look on the recordable side of a DVD you suspect as bootleg and take a close look at the outer edges of it. If you see any burn marks then it a bootlegged DVD. If they sell on Ebay then the seller may have images of the recordable side for you to look at. If they not ask them to submit them for you to look at them before you buy

[QUOTE=tan21;2545410]
I cant buy from amazon, they wont sell to my country.[/QUOTE]

What Country you live in as amazon has website for China, France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, Canada and United States

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2545452]Huh??? Ebay is only in the US [/QUOTE]

Actually Ebay is all over the world! Go to Ebay home page scroll to bottom and check out the Ebay sites

Ebay got sellers that ships world wide.
Amazon not.
i tried both amazon us & uk.

As for my country, israel

Is it possible to copy a whole booklet if the game supposed to come with one?
Because if i got a booklet there is less chances that its a bootleg…no?
Or people now days can copy EVERYTHING?

i took an original dvd game i bought inside my country and there is NEXPAK word on it in the inside on the dvd case.

I did google search and:

http://www.clear-vu.com/

Is this dvd bootleg? i bough it from one of the biggest stores in my country. :\ [retial]

[QUOTE=AGJ;2545454]
Actually Ebay is all over the world! Go to Ebay home page scroll to bottom and check out the Ebay sites[/QUOTE]

That can’t be cheap on the S&H to be sent from the US to where ever even if you get it cheap from Ebay… Also did you make sure to check the Region code as well that would make a difference as well…So are we talking about movie dvd or game cd/dvd??? Cause it sounds like your asking about Movie dvd first and now game cd/dvd?? I not clear as what your asking about now? If you just buying for yourself why are you making so many copies I can see one or two for use so the original doesn’t get damaged also games are have pretty high protection which prevents copying them.

I dont know how you got the idea im talking about movies.
I talked only about games.
And who said im making a lot of copies?
I think that your a little bit confused. I only wanted to know how to avoid bootlegs, that all

Anyway, im not gonna buy from e-bay, im not gonna buy dvd’s at all, ill stick up with Steam even if i dont like it so much, its better than having a bootleg.

Thanks to everyone who helped me !