How to play VOBs via computer to TV?

Hi all. I am very technical but have yet to figure out how to solve this simple question:

How do I play VOBs (for example 4 1GB VOBs that make up 1 movie) in a software player on Windows XP (not Media Center) that will play all 4 vobs without any interruptions?

First, I already backup my existing dvds into standard VOB files within the VIDEO_TS folder. I am using DVDFab for this.

Second, the VOBs play individually just fine in Media Player Classic and VLC 1.0.2. Also, if I rename the VOBs to MPG file extensions, they will play in Windows Media Player.

My problem is…when I load up 3-4 VOBs which make up 1 complete movie, when VLC or MediaPlayer Classic is use, there is a 0.5 second delay when the software player switches from one vob to the next…it’s not seamless…it’s not perfect. This is kinda annoying.

So maybe my real question is…what software (free) program would you recommend to play multiple vob files back to back without any interruption?

I know (and don’t think many people in the world know this) that I can simply copy the vob files together in a DOS box using the COPY command with the /b switch (which is the Binary switch)…and that will generate me 1 big 4GB vob file…that’s fine and makes a perfect, seamless movie file. However, I really don’t feel like doing that for the dozens of dvd-rips I already have on my drive. Moreover, large files over 4GB in size are not happy on FAT file systems (I use NTFS but I’m just pointing that out).

So…any advice? I do not want to use Windows Media Center…I want to continue with XP Home. On a side note, I don’t necessarily need all sorts of crazy sound support…but would be great if the software player did support it and thus pushed it out via my HDMI connection.

Lastly, maybe I am just asking too much…I know within VLC I can drag the parent folder (containing the AUDIO and VIDEO folders) and that will work exactly the way I want…but I do have some random VOBs every now and then that do not have parent folders and/or the IFOs and the BUPs and other goodies. Regardless, I would still like to know if it’s possible to drag and drop VOBs into a player and have the player play them back seamlessly. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much in advance!

-Eric

Don’t load the vobs individually into VLC. Play the Video_TS folder. Just right click on the Video_TS folder and you should have the option to play the movie with VLC. The other alternative is to start VLC, then hit Open Folder and navigate to the Video_TS folder of your movie.

Thanks…right…any suggestion on a freeware app that will allow me to navigate all my dvd folders?..rather than me navigating via Windows Explorer and right clicking? So I can kind of have a jukebox full of movies? That’s really my ultimate goal…a jukebox software app pointing at folders/directories.

-Eric

The only thing I can think of off hand (if you don’t want to use Media Center) is J. River Media Center: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/ Not freeware though.

There are probably others, and you should wait to see what other suggestions come in.

If you can handle a Scripting Language, Ant Movie Catalog might work for you. It can catalog, comes with scripts to get all the data about a movie and you could add a script to play the movie in your choice of player.

I’ve been experimenting with GBPVR The one thing that i really like is the fact that people can create plugins for it, giving it a little more versatility. It also seems to not use as many resources as the Windows Media Center.

Go into VLC & create a playlist…

So maybe my real question is…what software (free) program would you recommend to play multiple vob files back to back without any interruption?

If you mean seamlessly… no. You’ll have to fix the rips you messed up by either joining or creating new IFO’s.

[QUOTE=ericinboston;2452641]Thanks…right…any suggestion on a freeware app that will allow me to navigate all my dvd folders?..rather than me navigating via Windows Explorer and right clicking? So I can kind of have a jukebox full of movies? That’s really my ultimate goal…a jukebox software app pointing at folders/directories.

-Eric[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, VLC with a playlist or try something like KMPlayer or XBMC…

http://xbmc.org/

Or use Geexbox to turn your pc into a HTPC.