How to optimize the burn process

Hi everyone,
I’m new to computers and burning and I got some stupid questions but hey that’s why the newbies section is for!
These questions are fairly generic and they are about how to burn a cd-r in the best way possible.I am using nero 7 and I want to create a data cd.I am using Verbatim cd-r’s 700MB x52 double layered (azo,crystal).Windows 98 or better.(I am using windows xp but maybe i want to use my cdr’s with another computer that uses for example windows 98)
1 Do I use the default “layer 1 +joliet” concerning filename characters or do I use level 2 If I have long file names? Does the use of layer 2 affects in anyway the quality of the burn? Because if it does I will sacrifice filename length!
2 If I intend to burn more than 600MB in one session and never burn the cd-r again, do i use the default multissesion and just don’t burn it again or it is better to choose one session.And If I choose one session should I finalize?Using “one session” and “finalize” equals a better burn?
3 What is the ideal writting speed for these Verbatims for data and audio?I use x16 for both.Does the speed on the writting method?(See question below)
4 Finally when I want to create a data cd which burn method should I use?disc at once or track at once?Does it make any diffirence If it is a “multissesion” ,“one session” or “one session+finalized” CD?
Hope that you can help and sorry if this all seems just stupid questions to you.Thanks.Looking forawrd to your answers.

Hi rakanon :slight_smile:

The quality of the burn is entirely dependent on the drives firmware, media used and write speed and it dosen’t have anything to do with what filesystem(s) you decide upon, or if the disc has been closed or not. When writing audio CD-Rs, then it’s important to use DAO(actually there isn’t a writing mode called DAO and the correct name of the writing mode is SAO and then the DAO term only describes that the SAO burn also has gotten the disc closed, as also described in the SCSI-3/MMCx specs), but when data CD-Rs is concerned, then it dosen’t matter if using TAO or DAO as only one track is written anyhow. Of course if wanting to write a multi-session disc, then TAO should be used and not DAO, but other than that, then it’s entirely up to you what to use, and there are no quality differences whatsoever. I would personally recommend to write audio CD-Rs at 16x to have the lowest amount of jitter possible, to extend compatibility with the most stand-alone CD players, but as data CD-Rs have a third layer of error correction besides the two C1 and C2 layers of the Reed-Solomon CIRC error-correction system, then data CD-Rs can safely be burned alittle faster, as the error correction is much better, so i would recommend 32x for those. About which filesystem to choose from, then i personally just always use UDF(v1.02) when writing data CD-Rs. UDF(v1.02) is supported for reading natively from Windows 98 and forwards and also supported by GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X etc. Also many people use ISO9660 + Joliet, but personally, i don’t see the reason as to not just use UDF, as it’s so well supported, and as it’s more relaxed in terms of filename and path lengths etc.

If there are anything more that you are wondering about, then just say the word :slight_smile:

CU, Martin.

Another couple of suggestions for ya, to ensure good burns

Keep the HD clean and neat from fragmented files ( Defrag )
Dedicate your resources for the burn only.

:cool: :cool: