How to make a SINGLE VOB file into a playable DVD

vbimport

So I record several individual surgical cases on a single DVD using a standard samsung DVD RECORDER. Each procedure is represented on the DVD
by a VOB, BUP and IFO file, and all of these files are contained in a dingle VIDEO_TS folder. Occasionally a patient will ask for a video of their procedure. So how do i use a single procedure’s VOB/BUP/IFO files to create a DVD playable on any DVD player. From what I understand I can’t use image burn because that require burning the whole VIDEO_Ts folder, but I only want the VOB/BUP/IFO files for one case. Thanks for any help

Welcome to the forums Eyeopr8r.

First of all, when using a dvd made with a dvd-recorder you will need to close (also known as finalize) the dvd in that machine before you can edit it on a computer.

You may have some misunderstanding about the structure of dvd-video however. Individual titles within a dvd, or chapters [B]can[/B] span more than one vob file. DVD video is arbitrarily broken into 1gb segments in order to meet the playback requirements of stand alone hardware players. The vob files are contiguous, and the 1gb sections are artificial in other words.

It is possible that one entire operation would be contained in one vob file, but if there is more than one case included on the dvd, you won’t be able to select cases by the vob file divisions.

If you have organized the dvd into chapters, and you have each case in a separate chapter it is possible to use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode to select which chapter to remove from the dvd.

If you haven’t done that, then you could use DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode and manually select the start and end points that you want to save using the Set Start/End Frames tool. The output would be a small dvd-video with only the section you want removed. Make certain to use No Compression when doing this procedure.

DVDShrink is not a frame accurate tool, but you should be able to get close enough with your cuts for most purposes. If not, you can use a commercial program like VideoReDo, which is frame accurate. I would suggest using VideoReDo TV Suite, since it can make a complete dvd-video from the area cut out.

Thanks for the reply. The discs are finalized. You are correct, i did not unferstand a out the vob files being arbitrary, but it seems as though each vob file contains just one case–possibly because we stop and restart recording between each case???
Adding to the problem is that one patient has a case on two different discs. How do I extract the procedure from one DVD, then extract the second procedure from the second DVD, then combine theses two extracted clips into one dingle playable DVD using either of the two programs you mentioned??

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2696833] Use DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode and manually select the start and end points that you want to save using the Set Start/End Frames tool. The output would be a small dvd-video with only the section you want removed. Make certain to use No Compression when doing this procedure. [/QUOTE]

Adding to that you need to do this to the hard drive.
Then burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn.

That should work for the one procedure .
It would work for the two or more if they were on one DVD disc.

The two procedures each from a different disc is more complicated.

I will need to work you up a short guide for that.

I build “Best Of” videos from home-vacation DVDs and here’s what I do.

1. Using the free DVDFab Decrypter, I copy the DVDs to my hard-drive.

2. Using the free DVD SHRINK, I use its RE-AUTHOR button and browse out to Step 1’s DVD file-set (the VIDEO_TS folder contents) and I select wanted clips or videos from Disk 1.

Then, I ‘browse’ out to Disk 2’s FileSet and repeat this process, then to Disk 3’s, and so on. DVD Shrink displays a “Capacity Gauge” as I select videos, so I can see when I fill or over-fill a standard DVD-R’s 4.3Gb limitation. (DVD SHRINK’s main function is to allow that and then ‘shrink it to fit’. But usually, I just built a second Best-Of DVD so I preserve Video Quality at 100%.)

With each “run”, DVD builds a new DVD-File-Set. If I make mistakes or want to re-sequence, add or delete videos, I often will delete one set, and re-run Step 2, over and over, until I generate a “DVD File-Set” that’s perfect for my purposes.

1. Then I use some DVD Burning Software (Nero, ImgBurn, Roxio, whatever) and burn my DVD-Fileset as a “Video DVD”.

[B]KERRY - can you provide the link to that wonderful little animated How To clip for this?[/B]

@ ChristineBCW , Since these DVDs are not encrypted . I would just do the rips to the hard-drive with DVDShrink. That way just the Start/End clip could be ripped to its’ own folder .
The same would be done for the Start/End clip from the second DVD.
This way only what is wanted would be ripped to the hard-drive.

Then using “Open Files” you would add these back into DVDShrink like your instructions . Then you would rip that to its’ own folder . That should give the results wanted.

Is the animated “How to” clip the one from the old DVDShrink site ?

This is the link to the old animated guide. If it’s not the one Christine wanted then maybe Kerry has a link to another one.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

Many thanks for your respective posts, expertise, and time. I will try the above and see how we go. If I need more detailed instructions I’ll post back. Thanks again.

Back to Cholla for a brief…

Yes, I could re-set my DVD SHRINK options to copy the DVD’s file-set as “DVD9” or even a custom size, thus eliminating DVD SHRINK’s “shrink” function initially. But I just leave DVD SHIRNK at a Preference of 4.3Gb and use DVDFab for ‘raw copying’ because of it has the extraneous benefits on so many other disks.

So, in this case, a person could download and install DVD SHRINK and use it entirely, switching Preference Settings for Output Size, if needed.

We’ve outlined one way of doing this using DVDShrink and the clipping tool it has.

Here is a second way, but this one requires that your individual vob files actually [B]do[/B] contain each case in its entirety. Since I do not work with dvd recorders, it may be that the way you’ve been using the recorder has put each case in a separate vob file. I’m not so sure about that. Anyway, for this method we will begin with that assumption.

Vob files are a specialized type of container format that holds both the video and audio streams. You can take each individual vob file and import it into a program called AVStoDVD. Each vob file will become a separate title in a new dvd-video. So you could import a vob file from one dvd and another from a second, and so on. You can also make a simple menu to select each title. Here is a guide for using AVStoDVD: http://club.myce.com/f32/avstodvd-guide-331620/

AVStoDVD will let dvd-compliant audio and video pass through without re-encoding them, so this process will be quick and cause no loss of quality.

I also might try AVStoDVD if the single Vob files do contain the complete procedure & no other procedure.
It would also have the benefit of creating a menu if one is wanted.
AVStoDVD would still require “ripping” at least the Vob files wanted to the hard-drive.
I want to note I don’t like to use Windows to copy & paste a .Vob file from a DVD disc.
I have had this corrupt the file & it worked poorly or not at all.
So you would still need to rip each DVD to your hard-drive with ImgBurn.
Then “add” the wanted Vobs to AVStoDVD. IMO that will produce the best result with AVStoDVD.
Then just follow Kerry’s guide.

I did this guide for DVDShrink.

1. Open Disc on DVD1 .
  2. Select Re-author .
    3.Drag the wanted Title to the left window.
    a. You can select & Preview any title before you do this . & after also.
    b. If the Title is already what you want skip 4 ,5 , & 6 .
  3. Select “No compression” in the pulldown in “Compression Settings”.
  4. Highlight the selected Title & right click on it. Select " Set Start/End Frames " .
    a. Make the desired cuts .
    b. The keyboard cursor arrows let you contro the cuts a lot better than the mouse.
    6.Select “OK” .
    7.Make any setting you need in “Preferences” .
    8.Select “Backup!” & make settings you need in it .
  5. Select “OK” & DVDShrink will begin the “Backup”.
    10.Repeat for DVD with procedure two.
  6. Open Files for DVD1 . Select Re-Author.
    a.Drag Title 1 into the left window.
  7. Use “DVD Browser” to select DVD2 .
    a. Double click it to add it.
    b. Drag DVD2s Title 1 to the left window .
  8. Select “Backup” & make necessary settings.
    For example new seperate folder for this backup.
  9. Select “OK” .
  10. When this finishes burn the new DVD folder to a DVD with ImgBurn.
    If you like you can Preview it in a media player first.
    Here are some images to help.

This is what DVDShrink should look like after step 12.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2696881]Back to Cholla for a brief…

Yes, I could re-set my DVD SHRINK options to copy the DVD’s file-set as “DVD9” or even a custom size, thus eliminating DVD SHRINK’s “shrink” function initially. But I just leave DVD SHIRNK at a Preference of 4.3Gb and use DVDFab for ‘raw copying’ because of it has the extraneous benefits on so many other disks.

So, in this case, a person could download and install DVD SHRINK and use it entirely, switching Preference Settings for Output Size, if needed.[/QUOTE]

Of course with commercial encrypted movies DVDFab would be what to use . Especially if someone was trying to do this with “freeware” .

Even on a writable DVD if there are items you want removed.
Other language Audio tracks for example.

Although I have DVDFab platinum I usually use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 instead.

In this case I don’t think the size setting would matter because I doubt even both procedures will be over the 4.3GB .
I could be if the procedure was several hours or the best quality setting was used on the camera or video recorder.
Since I almost never use DVDShrink to compress (any more . I did at one time.) I set the “Preferences” to DVD9 .
I also usually uncheck “Run analysis and backup in low priority mode to improve multi­tasking”
& " Enable burning with Nero." Unless I plan to burn with Nero.

So I used to DVD shrink to first rip to hard drive the appropriate chapters from each separate DVD, then I used DVD shrink and build mode combine the two files. Then finally I used image burn to create a DVD that appears to be working. Wow, what an incredibly complex process to just get two small files from two separate DVDs onto a third DVD so they can be played on a stand alone DVD player! Especially when you consider that I could pull the appropriate chapter from each separate original DVD onto the desktop of my laptop, and double-click the file and it would play just fine using VLC media player. I don’t get why it’s so complex, and why I couldn’t somehow just drag those DOB files from my desktop onto a DVD and have it work. I’m fairly geeky for a non-computer major, but obviously not an expert on video files. Thanks again for all your help and expertise guys and gals.

Glad you got things working.

From your description of playing the dvds in VLC, you have each case on the dvd as a separate chapter. As I said before, if you have the dvds organized in this fashion, you could extract each chapter separately by using a tool called DVDDecrypter in IFO mode. You would need to set file splitting by chapter in DVDDecrypter, select the chapter you wanted then rip from the disc to the hard drive. Unfortunately, this would only be part of the process, as these would come in the form of vob files, which you would then need to author to dvd-video in AVStoDVD (or some other, similar dvd authoring tool).

As you can see, there are lots of different ways to approach the problem. None are dirt simple.

Again I just wanna say how impressed I am not only at the knowledge you all have, but also at the amazing willingness to help–way above and beyond what one might expect, what with step by step as well as video-picture instructions. It’s REALLY very kind if you all and I’m VERY APPRECIATIVE. THANKS!!
BTW how does one know when the files are encrypted or not. And I have an old unused copy of an old program called “DVD X COPY”. Would this program be helpful to me in any of this stuff?
Finally, I’m excited to try the more abbreviated method described by Kerry above. Thanks all

Consider instead that you could skip the DVD-Video authoring issues and simply convert your titles into media files for playback on any device. MOV and various MP4 formats, MKV, etc. You can do the conversion losslessly if you wish or with minor equal-quality compression. There are lots of fairly simple encoding tools that can offer editing and and an assortment of output formats. Your VOB files can be opened by the encoding tool directly. Most TVs and players support direct playback of common file types, as do pads, phones and what-not. DVD is not dead, but its a restrictive format both in terms of playback and authoring.

You should also consider this type conversion to media files for the purpose of archiving your video. Recorded DVDs are not particularly secure for archival purposes.

Will stand alone dvd players play MP4 files? I have anyvideoconverter that I could use for this.

You won’t run into encrypted dvds unless you try to rip commercially made movies. Some software also has protection on it, but neither of these are pertinent to your home made dvds from your recorder.

Some dvd players will support mp4 or mkv formats. Not all. But support for those two types of files is becoming more and more common. The problem you run into when converting to these formats is that there is no universally accepted set of encoding parameters that will work across all players.

DVD-video may be slightly harder to make, but it is done to fairly strict specifications.

If you decide to try AVStoDVD . Which I also reccomend . To see which one you prefer.
Take another look at post#10 . If your vob files fit that description AVStoDVD may be easier.
There are Preferrences & Settings you need to make.
The quality may also be better if that is a concern.

Since the procedure videos are for patients the DVD format is still a lot more universally playable . I would consider that before using other formats.

For yourself find a standalone player that will play the format you like .

Great info, helpful in proceeding in The future. Thanks again