How to make a copy of Nintendo GamCube games?

How to make a copy of Nintendo GamCube games?
Please help!
I got a game “Mario Sunshine” with a GameCube, and I cannot read this disk neither in CD nor DVD. I want to make a backup copy as my son neglects caution completely while handling this disk, so I suppose it’ll get scratched pretty soon :slight_smile:

Thank you!

You can do this only if the disc is of CD standard and the CloneCD reading engine can cope with whatever format is on the original. PSX discs, for example, are not exactly CD standard but they can be copied. I’ve never seen a GC disc and can only say “try it”.

I used Nero and WinISO though, not CloneCD, but it seems to make little difference as cd or dvd just doesn’t start to spin :frowning:
So software complains that nothing is in CD

Game cube miniDVDs are too difficult to copy, or at least i think that it’s impossible by now. This is because the implemented bar code reading into the miniDVD. If you look close to your game you will see a prolongation of the track after the bar code and a “free” space between this bar code. I know todays readers cannot read bar code…so u cannot read then correctly…and i do not know a recorder that allows to write bar code!!!

By now i consider it imposible with standart recoorders…

Good luck!

There will probably be a data cable for the GC real soon like there is for the DC and you will have to connect the cable to the pc to get the game data using the GC as a reader. try www.lik-sang.com as that is where the data cable for the DC comes from.

Thank you, guys, for replies!
So it seems to me that until we get a way to connect a GC to a PC there’s no way to make a copy, right?

Sux :frowning:

Hrm…seems to be the way it is at the moment.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the inherit issue with the GCN discs not reading in our standard DVD and CD ROM drives is that the media of the GCN is not simply a smaller DVD but a proprietry development invented by Matsushita that actually has a different sector space, width and density to that of a normal DVD…long story short…just like a DC GD-ROM was all those years ago…we now have to play the waiting game…:frowning:

Piracy was the main reason that GC discs were designed the way they are. It is a fundamental part of the GC’s design and they are impossible / near impossible to copy. Not even the pro copying groups have produced a working GC disc, despite the fact that you can buy XBox / PS2 discs copied / pirated that work in any XBox/PS2, with or without a modchip.

There is no way to make backups of NGC games currently.

The Panasonic Q which is the special Gamecube with DVD playback has a disc tray for 12cm size discs so perhaps you could burn the data onto a normal dvd then run it on that (doesn’t help people who already have a Gamecube i know :p)

Over here the Panasonic costs £400. The GameCube costs £130. I really don’t think I want to may £270 more so that I can backup GC games.

Just beat the little snot-nosed punk to teach him to not take his stuff for granted

Sorry guys, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to make a backup of the Gamecube mini DV. It does have nothing to do with the fact that it is smaller or has a bar code or whatsoever. The ONLY reason is that with normal CD’s and DVD’s the lens of the device starts reading the disc from the middle part, so inside out.
Whit the Gamecube, the mini DV’s are written starting from the outside to the inside, and thus also read starting on the outside of the disc.
You shouldn 't believe all this crap talk you can find on some forums out there, it is JUST NOT POSSIBLE to copy or playback a copied game, and it has been this way already for about 2 years now. this guys at Nintendo are just really clever.
Just tell the kid you 're not going to buy him any other game if he destroys this one, or buy a PSII or Xbox.

Cheers.

Not true, the GC games are out there on the net, I dunno how to do it cause I just don’t care enough. :slight_smile:
The GC reads the discs the same way the Xbox reads its DVDs; outside to inside. The way the Xbox games are copied are basically connecting to the Xbox via your network and FTP’ing to the console. All this requires a mod chip with the right software on the Xbox, obviously. My guess is the GC games are done in a similar fashion. You would need the broadband adapter for the GC obviously.

Originally posted by kill_007
[B]Sorry guys, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to make a backup of the Gamecube mini DV. It does have nothing to do with the fact that it is smaller or has a bar code or whatsoever. The ONLY reason is that with normal CD’s and DVD’s the lens of the device starts reading the disc from the middle part, so inside out.
Whit the Gamecube, the mini DV’s are written starting from the outside to the inside, and thus also read starting on the outside of the disc.
You shouldn 't believe all this crap talk you can find on some forums out there, it is JUST NOT POSSIBLE to copy or playback a copied game, and it has been this way already for about 2 years now. this guys at Nintendo are just really clever.
Just tell the kid you 're not going to buy him any other game if he destroys this one, or buy a PSII or Xbox.

Cheers. [/B]

It shouldnt matter if the original GC mini DVD are read outside to inside on the GC because if read opposite way, they would still be written in reverse, had they been recognizable. Nonetheless, current blank media does not exist to have compressed Full lenght DVD on a mini DVD. Its similar to the intent new securom was aimed at when it first came out… special media proprietary to that console. Maybe there will be a way around it in the rundown.

Originally posted by xtacydima
It shouldnt matter if the original GC mini DVD are read outside to inside on the GC because if read opposite way, they would still be written in reverse, had they been recognizable.
Yep. An image is an image whether the game read backwards, forwards or sideways, doesn’t matter.

@kill_007 Where have you read this or have you done the tests yourself?

That’s the whole point, the discs are not recognizable in standard DVD drives because the PC reads the first descriptor, and on Xbox discs, that’s a little video saying that this is an Xbox game, put it in your Xbox. :slight_smile: If it could read the other way, the first descriptor it would hit is the real Xbox game data.

@xtacydima:
So is it possible to burn (a downloaded) gc-image on a mini dvd and just put it in your gamecube?? Just burn&play?

I remember here at Spain, that entered a lot of original copies of Phantasy Star online 2 to gameshops that had some type of bug that become the GC crazy and using the broad band adapter of the console you could transfer the content of original mini-dvd to the computer.
After that simply, you bought a minidvd that sell here for digital camera (ver expensive media) and the game worked.

This history was told to me from a game shop here called Centromail; Nintendo Europe contacted with them and told to retire all “defective” phantasy star online 2 items.
Someone can confirm this? I am not interested in piracy of GC, so if the admin. do not want to see this here; I will remove it.
Sincerely I prefer XBOX and PS2 :wink:

This ‘hack’ has been known for some while, and i suppose it works coz there are still gc iso’s being released. But thats not what i meant. Im saying would burning those images to a mini dvd (1,5gb) work?? Becasue lot of people say it does, but havent met one yet that can actually confirm it.
So cant some1 with a dvd burner try and find out plz?

Thnx.