How to make a backup of firmware?

vbimport

Hi, I have a TSST Corp L-532A dvdwriter with a TC51 firmware, my problem is that I want to try another firmware to see if I get any improvement (I have the typical problem, bad burns of dvds).

My question is: How can I make a Backup of my current firmware, I want to have it before do any changes in the device to come back if I need it.

Thanks and sorry if I don’t explain me well. Greetings. :flower:

Hi and Welcome!

I can’t find that drive on Samung global website. Your drive might be an OEM drive (notebook?), so the only reliable source should be the support site of your computer’s manufacturer.
You may also check http://www.toshibaer.com/firmware/ and http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba/. Be aware, that Samsung drives with the same name, but made for different computer manufacturers, are very different. The two letter OEM code (yours is TC) must be the same for flawless flashing.

My question is: How can I make a Backup of my current firmware, I want to have it before do any changes in the device to come back if I need it.
I am not aware of a tool that is able to retrieve the firmware from the drive. But it is possible to reflash an older firmware (if you have some) using Samsung’s flash utility (sfdnwin.exe).

Michael

Thanks.

Yes it is a Notebook, an Asus A6K with a Samsung/Toshiba. I have been looking for a firmware that tell TC51, but I don’t see anyone.

I have a lot of problems with the drive, also my current drive is new, Asus change the old with new one when I call them.

Really I am frustrated, what I can do? :doh: :confused:

Thnks for ur time

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Yes it is a Notebook, an Asus A6K with a Samsung/Toshiba. I have been looking for a firmware that tell TC51, but I don’t see anyone.
Okay. Then you are lost there. Is a newer TCxx firmware from Asus available?

I have a lot of problems with the drive,
Could you describe further?
also my current drive is new, Asus change the old with new one when I call them.
So you are still under warranty, I suppose. Complain again if possible.

Really I am frustrated, what I can do?
It depends on the problems you have. Perhaps it is media related, so trying good quality media like Verbatim is an idea.
I personally consider DVD writers in notebooks as provisionary solution. They are too fragile. In case the drive shall be used frequently, installing an external writer might be a better solution - and there is normally better firmware support than with notebook drives.

Michael

Ok, thanks.

My problems are the same that have other people, the writer don’t burn dvds. Until now, I have burn in Sony DVD-R at 60 or 70% of success, but now I think that it is only 1% … to say something. The dvds are the same media.

In spain, the dvd medias are expensive :a

Greetings

Hi,

Ouch! This is really bad.
You may check, if DMA is enabled for your drives, see http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616 but I am running out of more ideas now, apart from complaining to the notebook manufacturer again :frowning:

Michael

In your first post you wrote: “(I have the typical problem, bad burns of dvds).”

So, what is true now??

I don’t explain me so well, I wanted to say the same thing, the dvd writer tell me that the dvd have been write successfully but in the verify test (I use Nero) I obtain read errors from sector X to Y.

This is the problem explain well.

P.D.: If u don’t understand my english say it, I’m not perfect. Thanks

Try Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media. Sounds like a media problem to me.

Your main problem is bad burns, right?
So, if burning DVDs using a laptop burner is not very successful…

1. get an external burner
  2. use quality media
  3. experiment with the settings (speed of burn etc.)

and can you tell us…What kind of problems are you seeing with your burns?
Playback on the computer?
or
Playback on a stand-alone (tv) player?

What software are you using to scan and burn?

I’ve tried but wa confused by the opposite info given. :wink:
Now its clear, thanks.

I wouldnt rely on some verify functions to judge about the data integrity, I would use Nero cd dvd speed or dvdinfopro and scan the content/disc.