How to leave a session open?

vbimport

I want to write different session which I don't want to close. Unfortunately this is impossible with Nero... (According to the help-files Nero always closes a session) (Actually, there is a way... write the session(s) on a CD-RW and choose 'format rewritable', there you have the option to 'open a closed session')

Does anybody knows of a program which is able to do this?

Other question: what happens when a session is closed/finalized/fixated? (Note: I am not talking about closing an entire cd!)

:smiley:

Does anybody knows of a program which is able to do this?

i’d use adaptec easy cd creator4 for it…but use it b4 it became Roxio

you can do what you ask with it.

down with Roxio i say :cool:

Data sessions are always closed at the time of writing, i.e., a lead-in and lead-out is always written for the session. Nero and other burning software behave the same way with data sessions. The following is Roxio’s definition of a session:

Session: A recorded segment of a compact disc which may contain one or more tracks of any type (data or audio). In data recording, there is usually only one track per session, but there may be multiple sessions on a disc. In audio recording, all audio tracks should be in a single session. A lead-in and lead-out are recorded for every session on a disc.

When a session is recorded to a CD-RW and the Erase ReWritable | “Unclose the last session” option is selected, it erases the lead-in and lead-out from the last session. An additional track can then be added to the session.

This is not recommended. Although extra tracks can be written to a session in this manner, normally only the first track will be accessible in a CD-ROM or burner. Even if the Nero multi-mounter is used, the multiple tracks in a session will not be accessed in a reliable and consistently successful manner.

Audio CDR’s may be recorded in TAO without closing the session. When this is done, the lead-out isn’t written until the session is closed. An audio CDR with an unclosed session is playable only on the burner, not on a CD-ROM drive or an external CD player.

It is not recommend to record multiple data tracks in a single session. Burning software is generally designed to not allow this error prone mode because of the problem of unreadable tracks.

When a session is closed, the lead out is written.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]When a session is recorded to a CD-RW and the Erase ReWritable | “Unclose the last session” option is selected, it erases the lead-in and lead-out from the last session. An additional track can then be added to the session.

This is not recommended. Although extra tracks can be written to a session in this manner, normally only the first track will be accessible in a CD-ROM or burner.

Audio CDR’s may be recorded in TAO without closing the session. When this is done, the lead-out isn’t written until the session is closed. An audio CDR with an unclosed session is playable only on the burner, not on a CD-ROM drive or an external CD player.

When a session is closed, the lead out is written. [/B]

First: I am only talking mainly about audio-tracks. I understand a data session has only one track.

Now your comment:

Why aren’t the extra (audio) tracks not recognized when you have reopened a session and closed it after adding the extra audio-tracks? And reopening a session removes the lead-in AND the lead-out? And this will only be possible for the last session, isn’t it?

Summary to check if I understand: when writing an additional session the previous session is automatically closed (this must be true, isn’t it?). When writing an open session, only the data-track or audio-tracks are written. When closing this session, the lead-in and lead-out for that session are written. Are these assumptions correct?

New questions:

if writing a lead-in and lead-out is what happens when closing a session, what happens when you fixate/finalize/close an entire cd???
How can you check if a cd has been finalized/closed?
How can you check if the last session is closed/finalized? (assuming that writing a next session, automatically closes the previous session)

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G

Why aren’t the extra (audio) tracks not recognized when you have reopened a session and closed it after adding the extra audio-tracks? And reopening a session removes the lead-in AND the lead-out? And this will only be possible for the last session, isn’t it?

My earlier comments were regarding data disks, not audio. Reopening a session is only possible with a CD-RW disk. Most audio players won’t play a CD-RW disk, so this is not an issue with much practical application.

First: I am only talking mainly about audio-tracks… Summary to check if I understand: when writing an additional session the previous session is automatically closed (this must be true, isn’t it?).

Only one audio session can be recorded. If a second audio session is recorded only the first session will be recognized by an audio player. When an audio CDR has been created with an open session, the session is closed manually by choosing “Finalize CD”. Audio CD’s can’t have extra sessions.

When writing an open session, only the data-track or audio-tracks are written. When closing this session, the lead-in and lead-out for that session are written. Are these assumptions correct?

Yes

if writing a lead-in and lead-out is what happens when closing a session, what happens when you fixate/finalize/close an entire cd???

The TOC is written.

How can you check if a cd has been finalized/closed?

In Nero from the menu choose Recorder | Medium Info. If the CDR is open, Disc-Info will give the option to close it. A closed disk will also be playable on a CD-ROM.

How can you check if the last session is closed/finalized? (assuming that writing a next session, automatically closes the previous session)

Same answer as above.

Thanx! I really appreciate the fact you take the time to answer all my questions!

But again other questions arise…

First let me make clear what I am doing:

I am ‘recreating’ the audioprotections nowaday used (that is: CDS200 and Key2audio). These protections rely heavily on multi-session tricks (that is illegal multi-sessions). So I want to burn a session with audio and after that a second session with data (where the mp3’s of CDS200 are stored). But to understand all the tricks used I need to know what is possible with open sessions and open/not finalized disc’s.

I have some knowledge on the Redbook specifications, so I know about the fact that an audio-cd should have only one session (unless it is cd-extra). And my discman plays cd-rw, so I am also trying CD-RW’s.

Question1: opening a closed session removes the lead-in + lead-out? (No matter if data or audio tracks are inside the session.)
Question2: writing an additional session will automatically close the previous session (if it is not closed already)? (No matter if data or audio tracks are inside the session.)
Question3: you state that while closing a session the lead-in and leat-out is written. Besides that you state that the TOC is written when finalizing the cd. I don’t understand… the TOC is in the lead-in! Or is a final TOC written which summarizes/links all the previous TOC’s of the different sessions together?

I think that if I understand the answer to the 3 questions above I know all I need to know about open/closed sessions/discs!

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G

Question1: opening a closed session removes the lead-in + lead-out? (No matter if data or audio tracks are inside the session.)

In Nero’s Erase CD-RW window when “Unclose the last session” is selected the following explanation is given:

“Session-Information (lead-in and lead-out) will be erased to be able to add some more tracks in Track-At-Once burning mode. (Does not work on every drive)”

Question2: writing an additional session will automatically close the previous session (if it is not closed already)? (No matter if data or audio tracks are inside the session.)

Consumer software closes a session before another session can be written.

Question3: you state that while closing a session the lead-in and leat-out is written. Besides that you state that the TOC is written when finalizing the cd. I don’t understand… the TOC is in the lead-in! Or is a final TOC written which summarizes/links all the previous TOC’s of the different sessions together?

The TOC in the lead-in contains track locations for that session only. When a linked multisession disk is finalized, the last TOC records information for all sessions stored in a PMA (Program Memory Area). A CD-ROM drive must be multisession capable to access all of the linked data sessions. Lacking that capability, only the first session will be readable.

Yes! Now I understand! Thank you very much!