How to know if my Cd Writer/Reader supports subcode reading/writing

Hi people,
I’ve recently bought a new computer and I want to know if the Cd-writer/reader, are able to read/write subcodes, that seem to be necesary to backup SecuROM protected games.
Is there anyway to know that, without trying to copy a protected game?

I posted here, but if you think it should be on newbies i wouldn’t be offended :bigsmile:

Hello Shibby and welcome to the forum. Perhaps if you told us what type of reader/writer you’ve got on your system we could help you out. :wink: :slight_smile:

so, if you don’t want to copy a game what do you need subchannel data reading / writing for??? :stuck_out_tongue:
and how do you want to test it if not copying something???
but maybe you could post here what model your burner is, so maybe the freax here can tell you, if they know your drive?!?
greetz,
Raz

Although we have the sheep test for “weak sectors” there is no known test I am aware of for correct sub-code reading.
I guess the best test is when trying to copy Securom protection titles and seeing if it works.

Most Lite-on and Toshiba drives read it fine. Lite-on writes it fine too. Don’t have experience with other burners except an old samsung which also reads/writes it fine.

Plextor and Asus cdrws also read and write subs well. So far as Lite-on drives are concerned, the dvds all read them well but the cdrws can be a bit iffy as subs readers (write them ok though).

Thanks for your answers:
I don’t know witch type of write/reader they are so I’ll put here what appears on the device administrator:

Hl-dt-st cd-rw gce-8483b
Hl-dt-st Dvd-rom gdr8162b

With those names, I can’t recognize what model they are so if you, masters of the back-up can do that, I would be very pleased :wink:

Also i’ll try copying a securom game too. Let’s see what happens…

((Sorry for my english ):confused: ))

Originally posted by Shibby
[B]Thanks for your answers:
I don’t know witch type of write/reader they are so I’ll put here what appears on the device administrator:

Hl-dt-st cd-rw gce-8483b
Hl-dt-st Dvd-rom gdr8162b

With those names, I can’t recognize what model they are so if you, masters of the back-up can do that, I would be very pleased :wink:

Also i’ll try copying a securom game too. Let’s see what happens…

((Sorry for my english ):confused: )) [/B]

The are both lg drives… lg are normally pretty good so give them a try. If it doesn’t work then you know they are no good

Thanks again for your answers,

Now that I know witch devices I have, it would be easier to find firmware updates, and as I said before when I have a little time I’ll try to back-up one Securom protected game that I bought recently.