How to kill your 708A (again)

vbimport

My 1st 708A I bought almost a year ago, then one day it stops reading CDR/CDRW and then oddly it stops reading blank DVD media and start reading blank CDs again. I RMA’d that drive about 2 months ago and they sent me a refurbed drive with 1.07 bios. All was working fine and dandy until I fired up Nero (5.5.10.20) to erase a CDRW, this is when all hell breaks loose. Supposedly Nero erased the disc just fine, so I try to burn some new data, the disc fails to write. I pop in some blank CD media… not recognized. Pressed DVD, DVD+RW, and blank DVD media is read fine, but now CD/CDRW/Pressed CDs aren’t recognized. Now… I vaguely remember this same thing happening in the past with my previous 708A, so perhaps Nero killed my drive while trying to erase a CDRW? Oh well, I’m done with Plextor drives… they used to be good. I think I’ll try out LiteOn next. Anyone else having problems with their 708A reading CDR/CDRW? Maybe you accidentally killed your drive like I did. :frowning:

The whole refurb replacement is bs If they’re gonna pull that crap then the warranty should begin again with the refurb drive. Sorry to hear but it’s not too surprising that the refurb would fail; it was a refurb for a reason and they only slapped enough glue together to get it back out the door and fail soon enough. I had the same thing happen to me and my refurb held up but I now buy my drives from Newegg and use their RMA for the time period allowed (I think up to 1 yr) as getting a refurb is not on my list of acceptable solutions to a dead drive. After 1 yr I would just RMA and sell the refurb drive and use the money to get something new.

I had the same thing happen to me and my refurb held up but I now buy my drives from Newegg and use their RMA for the time period allowed (I think up to 1 yr) as getting a refurb is not on my list of acceptable solutions to a dead drive. After 1 yr I would just RMA and sell the refurb drive and use the money to get something new.

Newegg doesn’t RMA optical drives up to ONE YEAR!!! RMA to Newegg is only 30 days or a MANUFACTURER RMA is done but you submit it on your own. As for getting a REFURBISH DRIVE when you RMA, it’s standard practice among computer companies that the drive is marked REFURBISHED.

so perhaps Nero killed my drive while trying to erase a CDRW?

I see you used NERO version 5.5.10.20. If you read in this forum regarding the 708A the best versions of NERO BURN to use is version 5.5.10.42 or 50. Some even use the latest version 6 ultra. I would suggest you upgrade your 708A to one of those versions before RMA the drive. I’ve used 5.5.10.42 and firmware 1.04 and have had no problems with burning dvd/cd media.

I would try the newer versions of nero, but the fact remains that now blank CDs or pressed CDs won’t initialize in any program. I get the all too familiar double blinking amber light when I pop those disc in now. Shame on plextor.

https://secure.newegg.com/app/ExtendedWarrantyForHelp.asp

I’d never purchase a extended warranty from any computer store online or not. It’s like walking into a COMPUSA and purchasing a extended warranty then only to find out once you’ve used the extended warranty, it can’t be used again unless you purchase another extended warranty plan. In my opinion all it does is make more money for the company. As long as there is a standard warranty with a computer component that’s all I need. I tend to think that a company that offers a long warranty on a product is not confident with their product. But that’s just my opinion. By the way I purchase alot of computer components from Newegg and don’t purchase any extended warranty. :wink:

DVD_Addict, you need to try it by yourself. Newegg DOES RMA optical drives more than 30 days. I bought my 712A on 7/14 and filed RMA (repair) on 9/6. I sent the drive the next day via priority mail ($12), they sent a brand new one (not refurb) on 9/10. All RMA was done online. That’s the best part from newegg. :iagree:

Exactly. I wasn’t pointing out the extended warranty as an option but rather how if you READ the terms it reveals that there is a ONE YEAR RMA period on optical drives WITHOUT the extended warranty. I’ve RMA’d things to Newegg 8 months later with no problems and ALWAYS receive a NEW replacement.

thanks for that info zevia and bar81! hmmms perhaps i should purchase a 712A from newegg now. another excuse for me to purchase another optical drive! LOL!