How to install windows in thinkpad x31 (IBM THINKPAD X31 PM-1.4G)

[qanda]This thread is about the IBM THINKPAD X31 PM-1.4G. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]as ibm x31 doesnt come wid a cd or dvd drive… so how can we use external optical drives … some one told me of takinf out hard drive and copying windows from another computer as a slave drive … is there any other way… any simple way…

[QUOTE=syedsarosh;2215779][qanda]This thread is about the IBM THINKPAD X31 PM-1.4G. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]as ibm x31 doesnt come wid a cd or dvd drive… so how can we use external optical drives … some one told me of takinf out hard drive and copying windows from another computer as a slave drive … is there any other way… any simple way…[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t use another copy of windows to format for your laptop isn’t the way to go. You will either need a external cd/dvd drive and then get the recovery cds to restore your thinkpad back to factory settings. This is the only way to get back your thinkpad in working order. Doing anything besides a complete Recovery cds from IBM isn’t advised as each computer and hardware isn’t the same. You should contact IBM and see what they tell you and what option they can give you.

Does this computer work at all now? Can you boot into the operating system? What version of Windows do you want to install?
Do you have access to an external CD rom drive?

This is from the IBM/Lenovo description of this model:

“The IBM ThinkPad X31 also offers the Access IBM button, a “portal to IBM support” that taps into a rich set of onboard resources, diagnostic tools, automated solutions, and links to updates and service on-line. Another ThinkVantage technology, RapidRestore PC, provides one-button disaster recovery that can restore previously saved data, settings and applications after a software failure.”

If I install from a USB CD Rom drive. I will run the system BIOS setup utility and will choose the First Boot Device to be that USB port. Will this work? Has any body tried it?

[QUOTE=syedsarosh;2216361]\ Has any body tried it?[/QUOTE]

Not on the thinkpad x31. Just try it yourself, what have you got to lose?