How to install Optiarc DVD RW AD-7630A on a Apple G5 iMac

vbimport

Hi There,

I have recently purchased a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7630A and installed it in to my G5 iMac. However I am unable to burn media with this drive and I am sure there is more to do then just place it in the G5 iMac.

Here is the current system profile:

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7630A:

Manufacturer: Optiarc
Model: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7630A
Revision: 1.00
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Not Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

I have searched and searched for installation instructions but have been unable to find any. If anyone can help that would be great as I have come lost as to what to do next.

I’m not a Mac user, the same as most people here. But some ideas. I guess the problem is that the drive is recognized but not as a writer? Assuming some Mac users will read this thread, info that may be needed is: what software are you using to write discs with and what is the OS version?

I found something that may be related/helpful: http://www.patchburn.de
Not sure what exactly it does or how safe it is.

(On a second thought, maybe it’s best to ask in Mac forums or wait for someone running a Mac. :slight_smile:

Finally the seller got in touch and provided me with the exact information you did! Thanks so much for your time though and well done for providing the solution!

What, it was Patchburn? :slight_smile:

Yes it was. Also when you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 the drive is automatically recognised. This is because of a change of Apple’s policy with regards to thrid party hardware being installed.

An OS that prevents on purpose using all the features. Unbelievable.