How to get translation subtitles from a Blu Ray

vbimport

Hello all, Im new here and have looked around but cant seem to find a answer in the guides/threads. And its about to drive me crazy.

I have been succesfuly backing up my BluRay collection for a couple weeks now until I came across a movie that had subtitles during non english speach during the movie. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make my programs put the subtitles on the screen.
Example=Kill Bill Vol 1, during the part of the movie where tha actors are speaking Japanese, no words come up on my movie.
Im currently using MakeMKV to rip movie to hard drive then BDRebuilder to retrieve the movie only and to compress. If someone can show me where are the settings in either of these programs OR if I need a different program it would be much apreciated…thanx for any help

[QUOTE=katpeeler;2579314]Hello all, Im new here and have looked around but cant seem to find a answer in the guides/threads. And its about to drive me crazy.

I have been succesfuly backing up my BluRay collection for a couple weeks now until I came across a movie that had subtitles during non english speach during the movie. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make my programs put the subtitles on the screen.
Example=Kill Bill Vol 1, during the part of the movie where tha actors are speaking Japanese, no words come up on my movie.
Im currently using MakeMKV to rip movie to hard drive then BDRebuilder to retrieve the movie only and to compress. If someone can show me where are the settings in either of these programs OR if I need a different program it would be much apreciated…thanx for any help[/QUOTE]

MakeMKV is a converter not a ripper/copying program AFAIK anyway, what program did you use to do the actual riip ? and was the ripping program set to retain the subtitles ?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2579332]MakeMKV is a converter not a ripper/copying program AFAIK anyway, what program did you use to do the actual riip ? and was the ripping program set to retain the subtitles ?[/QUOTE]

MakeMKV is a ripper and as long as it’s in beta it’s free. As for subtitles in MakeMKV check this, http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10/catid/7. I don’t know BDRebuilder so can’t help with that.

Yo Whappo

Thanks for the info I didn’t know it was a ripper and a converter :cool:

[QUOTE=Whappo;2579402]MakeMKV is a ripper and as long as it’s in beta it’s free. As for subtitles in MakeMKV check this, http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10/catid/7. I don’t know BDRebuilder so can’t help with that.[/QUOTE]

Thank You, that was very helpful. BUT…I think I might have issues with that process since BDRebuilder doesn’t recognize MKV files and since I use BDRebuilder to shrink the main movie down to 5G’s. Maybe I will start back using Handbrake, but wasnt a big fan.

Why not use DVDFab HD Decrypter (free) to rip the movie, then compress with BD Rebuilder?

BD Rebuilder can output as mkv, but not take it as input.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2579433]Why not use DVDFab HD Decrypter (free) to rip the movie, then compress with BD Rebuilder?

BD Rebuilder can output as mkv, but not take it as input.[/QUOTE]
I have went back and forth between DVDFab a MakeMKV and just stuck with MakeMKV, but will DVDFab show me my subtitle information??..If so how will I change this or does in recognize it automaticly??

I only mentioned DVDFab since it has a free section, and if you’ve paid for MakeMKV’s blu ray ripping functions, you probably don’t want to invest in another. (I much prefer AnyDVD HD + BD Rebuilder).

I do have DVDFab installed, got it for free from GiveAwayoftheDay a while back, but it doesn’t seem to show much detail on the subtitles. It lets you select the subtitle stream by language, but forced subtitles are not mentioned on the movies I examined.

I always rip the full movie to the hard drive first, before trying to work with the video. Does MakeMKV have this option? Or will it only decrypt and convert to mkv files? Edit: Looks like it can: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2579447]I only mentioned DVDFab since it has a free section, and if you’ve paid for MakeMKV’s blu ray ripping functions, you probably don’t want to invest in another. (I much prefer AnyDVD HD + BD Rebuilder).

I do have DVDFab installed, got it for free from GiveAwayoftheDay a while back, but it doesn’t seem to show much detail on the subtitles. It lets you select the subtitle stream by language, but forced subtitles are not mentioned on the movies I examined.

I always rip the full movie to the hard drive first, before trying to work with the video. Does MakeMKV have this option? Or will it only decrypt and convert to mkv files? Edit: Looks like it can: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4[/QUOTE]
Im all about “free”…I was using DVDFab for a while and honestly I cant remember why I quit. Im still using the free version of MakeMKV. It seems its always in beta so its always been free. And yes it does decrypt. That is the way I use it, then I load it in BDRebuilder. If I remember correctly MakeMKV seemed a little faster that DVDFab.
But the down side of using that method is I cant figure out how to get my subtitles. If you never tried MakeMKV before give it a shot…pretty straight forward and quick.

I guees I might have to retreive my subs with MakeMKV but use another program (besides BDRebuilder) to compress movie…

Just a little clarification about MakeMKV: It is really more of a ripper/decrypter because there is no “conversion” taking place (no codecs are involved), it simply ouputs the content into a MKV container, that’s why it will rip as fast as your drive can read the disk. I’m not a BDRebuilder user but don’t you have to load the mkv into Tsmuxer first and then use Rebuilder to compress, then run that ouput back through MakeMKV to change the container again? It seems a bit convoluted, maybe you can try Ripbot to compress the mkv by setting the “Lock Size” to whatever you want?

I was under the impression that MakeMKV uses a temporary file, then builds the mkv file…not straight ripping in other words.

And considering BD Rebuilder, you can use the ripped disk as input, then output straight to mkv, compressed or not. If you want uncompressed mkv using BD Rebuilder, you’d have to adjust the settings in the alternate.txt file found in the Misc folder. It would be simpler to use a different tool though, like Blurip. BD Rebuilder isn’t really set up for uncompressed output.

You can also work from the original disk if you have DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD HD running in the background, but I don’t like working from the optical disk…slows things down.

On MakeMkv under File, click “backup” and it will back up the entire disc to AVCHD. Then I use BDRebuilder to retreive “Movie Only” at a 5G size…and thats it. I have a AVCHD movie only file. No need to run it back thru MakeMKV. But I still cant get my forced subs this way

O.K., I get it now. You don’t say what software you are using for playback, maybe that has something to do with the way your subtitles are displayed or not?

I dont know…Is there an easier way??..Been looking at other programs…Handbrake maybe??..Im on my work computer right now so I dont know if Handbrake has the capabilties

Had a odd thing happen yesterday. I backup “Inglorious Bastards” with I BELEIVE the exact same settings I have been using and it came out with all my subtitles for the German speech…Dont know why it worked on that movie and not another…

[QUOTE=katpeeler;2579314]Hello all, Im new here and have looked around but cant seem to find a answer in the guides/threads. And its about to drive me crazy.

[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend DVDFab, the paid version for Blu-ray. It has everything you need to do Back-ups. It will even Back-up to DVD Single Layer or Dual Layer, or 25Gb BD. The Sub-Titles are just a check box. It’s a fabulous software, I don’t use anything else. Maybe just IMGBurn. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2580636]I highly recommend DVDFab, the paid version for Blu-ray. It has everything you need to do Back-ups. It will even Back-up to DVD Single Layer or Dual Layer, or 25Gb BD. The Sub-Titles are just a check box. It’s a fabulous software, I don’t use anything else. Maybe just IMGBurn. :cool:[/QUOTE]
I did try DVDFab but my trial version ran out…But I didnt get a chance to try the sub option before it ran out…I might have to buy it and give it a shot

Ok…I have DVDFab…ripped a couple of movies (with out subs) and everything is going well…Until I tried Gran Torino…The subs didnt come up when they were speaking another language…And I checked the Subpicture box…Anyone have any ideas??

On this movie the audio was out of sync…Ive deleted the file and going to try it again tomorroo

[QUOTE=katpeeler;2581689]Ok…I have DVDFab…ripped a couple of movies (with out subs) and everything is going well…Until I tried Gran Torino…The subs didnt come up when they were speaking another language…And I checked the Subpicture box…Anyone have any ideas??

On this movie the audio was out of sync…Ive deleted the file and going to try it again tomorroo[/QUOTE]

Try a different movie.

I watched ‘Gran Torino’ recently and there were no subtitles specific to the foreign language bits.

[B]Wombler[/B]

My mind must be sliping…I swore there were subs in this movie…thanx for the info