How to get totally rid of iTunes?

vbimport

Hi,

a friend of mine has some issues with his computer that seem to be related with iTunes. (The description I was given wasn’t really precise :wink: ).

To rule that out, I need to know how to get rid of iTunes and all that stuff it installs without any leftovers. Fortunately, there is no need to deal with DRM-infected media files :smiley:

Is it enough to just klick <uninstall> in “Add/Remove Programs”?
Any hints?

Michael

iTunes sometimes still leaves stuff in the autoplay box, i would recommend using revo uninstaller, or a similar one to get rid of it.

Or use my way

Format C:\ :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=RCM;2488435]iTunes sometimes still leaves stuff in the autoplay box, i would recommend using revo uninstaller, or a similar one to get rid of it.

Or use my way

Format C:\ :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I would choose the later as this will surely guarantee there be no trace of the DRM tracks on ones computer. Or do the recovery cd path if the computer is factory built thus wiping cleaning unwanted programs to start fresh again.

Formart C:/Restore to factory state is/are the most effective but at the same time the most painful method(s) as lot of useful data can be lost.

Taking into account the above mentined, I would:

1. Use Windows uninstaller.
  2. Use Total Commander (or similar software) and manually clean the whole PC of iTunes leftovers.
  3. Use Regedit and manually clean the Registry.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Run a Registry Cleaner for final check.

QUOTE=RCM;2488435
Or use my way

Format C:\ :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2488514]I would choose the later as this will surely guarantee there be no trace of the DRM tracks on ones computer. Or do the recovery cd path if the computer is factory built thus wiping cleaning unwanted programs to start fresh again.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Illuminatus;2488528]Formart C:/Restore to factory state is/are the most effective (…)[/quote]:eek: How much do they pay to Symantec, McAffee etc to have this <censored> not in their Virus database? :eek:

Okay, thanks guys.

At the moment I only used “add/remove programs” in order to get rid of the most stuff (Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, iTunes, Apple Updater, Quicktime).
Seems I’d have to check manually if there is additional trash left.

Michael

The only way to avoid problems removing any of that ‘i’ crap is to not install it in the first place.

a friend of mine has some issues with his computer that seem to be related with iTunes. (The description I was given wasn’t really precise

Would’ve been nice to have known( precisely)…I’m no iTunes fanboy, but I do have it installed w/o issues(knock on wood)…:wink:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2488783]Would’ve been nice to have known( precisely)…I’m no iTunes fanboy, but I do have it installed w/o issues(knock on wood)…;)[/QUOTE]Hehe, well, most of the issues I was asked to resolve, where in the PEBCAK category. :doh: Indeed not iTunes related.
Another issue (not discovered by her) is more severe, and I guess, this isn’t iTunes related either: Windows thinks, all drivers (inlcluding Windows internal standard drivers) are unsigned :eek:
Had some similar issue on my 100% certified iTunes-free W2k-box.

I hope, I can fix this remote (using Teamviewer for such jobs).

Michael

Uninstall with Add/Remove or third party tool, then do a system restore point to a date previuos to installing Itunes.

I thought I had gotten rid of all iTune stuff long ago…but recently noticed ITunes was trying to play all my music. This sort of thing could give Steve Jobs a bad name eh…so I ran PC Decrapifier, and then CCleaner.
Check this out…

Or you could try pipemanid’s favorite tool…http://club.myce.com/f1/win-brand-new-memorex-clock-radio-306042/#post2474994

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2489333]Or you could try pipemanid’s favorite tool…http://club.myce.com/f1/win-brand-new-memorex-clock-radio-306042/#post2474994[/QUOTE]
Erhm, this tool is intended to get rid of iHardware only …

You could always just give in…let them take over, infiltrate everything, until you become one of “them” :eek:
…after that you will be happy…birds will sing, women will fall for you…you will become rich, goodlooking…live forever.

[B]BLESSED ARE THEY WHO TAKE iTUNES INTO THEIR HEARTS AND REGISTRIES, FOR THEY WILL BE SYNCHED FOREVER[/B] [I]iBible. Book of iPod, Chapter 1, verse 26[/I]

[QUOTE=deanimator;2489458][B]BLESSED ARE THEY WHO TAKE iTUNES INTO THEIR HEARTS AND REGISTRIES, FOR THEY WILL BE SYNCHED FOREVER[/B] [I]iBible. Book of iPod, Chapter 1, verse 26[/I][/QUOTE]

Who wouldn’t want to be one of these archetypes?