How to get the best from a Lite On 5239v

vbimport

Just got this drive as it seems the sony/liteon cd writers have the lowest C1 errors when used with TY media. Purchased the TY watershield media and burned an audio CD, I’m getting an average of 0.30 C1 errors where I see other Sony/liteon cdwriters such as the CRX230EE get 0.05 average C1 errors?

Am I doing something wrong, is it something else in my system or should I be running a hacked firmware? I believe its the 2$0E, which appears to be the latest.

Maybe I purchased the crappest version of the liteon drive and should go get the Sony CRX230EE as its only 15quid? ;p

Hi,

:disagree: If you want, then have a look at this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182063
Firmware 2$0E isn’t better.

Purchased the TY watershield media and burned an audio CD, I’m getting an average of 0.30 C1 errors where I see other Sony/liteon cdwriters such as the CRX230EE get 0.05 average C1 errors?
These figures depend on the drive that is used for scanning. Also, media variation has to be taken into consideration.

Maybe I purchased the crappest version of the liteon drive and should go get the Sony CRX230EE as its only 15quid? ;p
If you want top quality with your TY CD-R, then get a LG 4163 or 4167 DVD RW drive (if you still can get one). Not even low error figures, but also very low jitter (Liteon drives are known for high jitter).

Michael

Hmm, found the LG, is it good at doing DVD’s as well? ;p :-

http://www.rivierapublishing.co.uk/acatalog/MEMORY_STICKS_DVD_WRITERS.html

In that link you showed me, the liton 5239 with 2$0C seems to come out pretty well? The reason I said about the sony was this post :-

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1532439&postcount=103

Shows a 0.05 C1 error average rate!

Moved to the LiteOn/Sony forum. :wink:

Through reading more of the threads on this forum, it appears that the liteon 5239 is basically what a CRX230EE is, only it has an S on the end instead of a V. There is talk of cross flashing, can I convert my drive to be a sony CRX230EE? Or maybe I can convert to be a 5239S?

Hi,

It is, but the drive does not support newer media, unfortunately. It is very good with MCC004 and 8x rated TY media.

In that link you showed me, the liton 5239 with 2$0C seems to come out pretty well?
Error figures are indeed rather low, but the jitter is high. Lowering burn speed doesn’t help very much here.

The reason I said about the sony was this post :-
Shows a 0.05 C1 error average rate!
Maybe just a matter of the scanning drive. Some drives don’t report all errors, so you can’t compare scans taken with different drives. Also, I consider my 5239 as “too error tolerant”, that’s why I decided to use my Benq DVDRW as only CD scanning drive.

As far as I remember, the “V” has a slightly different chipset. I wouldn’t take the risk of crossflashing.

Michael

Hmm, well I need a new dvd writer as well so maybe ill get a pioneer 111d to replace my dvd writer, scrap this lite on cd writer I have just purchased and buy a benq dvd for writing cds with as per your suggestion?