How to get old documents from old laptop

vbimport

My old laptop does not turn it off at all. I need all documents, pics, but do not want repair it. Is there any other way how to get all saved files on that computer, without repairing. Maybe swapping hard drive, if that is possible:eek:

Connect the harddisk to another computer?
Use a USB-USB cable to transfer it?
Transfer it via the network / wifi ?
Copy all on floppys?
Burn it using an external burner?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=kanellla;2497885]My old laptop does not turn it off at all. I need all documents, pics, but do not want repair it. Is there any other way how to get all saved files on that computer, without repairing. Maybe swapping hard drive, if that is possible:eek:[/QUOTE]Best method would be to remove the HDD and use an IDE (or Sata, depends on your HDD) to USB adapter in order to connect the HDD to another computer and retrieve the data.

Michael

Don´t forget to unplug the power supply and remove the battery before you take the old hard drive out of your laptop.

A bit more info here (3 pages): http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=404168

You may also need some data recovery software. http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Sorry, I wrote this when I just woke up. instead ‘my laptop does not turn it off’, I wanted to say that I cannot turn it on. Maybe something is wrong with the battery and unfortunately I can not access my files. I dont think that USB-USB transfer will work.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2497893]Hi and Welcome!Best method would be to remove the HDD and use an IDE (or Sata, depends on your HDD) to USB adapter in order to connect the HDD to another computer and retrieve the data.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael. I am not sure if I understand, could you clarify? I had to remove HDD and put into other laptop and than just turn it on. As I understand I can not touch IDE. My old laptop is Fujitsu Siemens and new one is Dell

Thanks in advance

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2497890]Connect the harddisk to another computer?
Use a USB-USB cable to transfer it?
Transfer it via the network / wifi ?
Copy all on floppys?
Burn it using an external burner?[/QUOTE]

It only will work if that laptop is on. Any suggestions, what to do when is off. Or maybe somehow I can connect my old laptop to the new one, so that the old one won’t need a battery or a plug. Do you know if I can do this?

We are suggesting

• take your hard drive out of the dead computer
  • put it into an external case
  • connect it via USB to another computer
  • copy your files (using recovery software if necessary)

Hi,[QUOTE=kanellla;2497975]Hi Michael. I am not sure if I understand, could you clarify? I had to remove HDD[/quote]Yes. Carefully remove the HDD from the old, defective laptop.
Find out, what interface this HDD has (IDE or SATA) then go ahead and buy an IDE(or Sata) to USB adapter (example: Delock 61391).

and put into other laptop and than just turn it on.
Connect the old HDD to the USB adapter you bought and hook the assembly to an USB port of your new computer. If the HDD is not damaged, then it should show up in “My Computer” as additional drive, and you should be able to access the data.

Michael

I think I got that now. Thank you all!!!