How to get my files back from a broken DVD?

Hello everybody,

A couple of years ago I’ve burned a lot of photo’s on 2 TDK-DVD’s. Lucky me, because some months later I had a computer crash and lost everything. I watched the DVD’s and everything was written perfectly on them. I was stupid not to make another back-up…
Now I wanted to look at the pics again but the DVD’s couldn’t be read. They were a little scrathed so I took them to a shop and had them polished so they were like new. But I couldn’t read them. I tried a couple of “rescue”-programs such as CD-recovery-toolbox but that didn’t work either. Finally, today, I tried to put them in a slower DVD-reader, a first generation, but it couldn’t read the files either.

What to do now? I tried everything I was capable of (I’m not a computer-genius). I really want those pics back. If I watch television-shows I see they’re capable of rescueing data from an exploded laptop, so it must be possible somehow to recover my data from a perfect-looking-DVD. I think TDK is normally a good brand to burn data on, isn’t it? So please, geniuses, help me!!!

Thanks in advance

Have you tried to read these disks on various machines. If not, I would try another computer to read the files on your dvd’s.

Yes, I tried to read them on 3 different laptops and one older model pc

[QUOTE=Azazelbe;2057914]Now I wanted to look at the pics again but the DVD’s couldn’t be read. They were a little scrathed so I took them to a shop and had them polished so they were like new. But I couldn’t read them. I tried a couple of “rescue”-programs such as CD-recovery-toolbox but that didn’t work either. Finally, today, I tried to put them in a slower DVD-reader, a first generation, but it couldn’t read the files either. [/QUOTE]

I suspect it’s a question of knowing the technical details of how you actually burned those DVD’s: file system, -R or -RW, special software, etc.

You might try IsoBuster – I’ve found it useful for looking at bad CD/DVD – and see of you recognize anything. One useful feature is ‘find missing files and folders’ (see the topic ‘Data Recovery’ in the help file.)

I’m pretty sure that the free version can be used – it may not be able to extract the data, but at least you’ll learn if there’s anything at all to be found. If there is, the full version should do the job – if there isn’t, there’s no point in getting the full version.