How to get my 411s@811s to burn "CMC MAG F01" at 8x with nero 6.3?

I see this media is capable of being burned at said speed, even though it’s rated 4x. So how can I do this? I tried both disabling smartburn (then checking the write tab in nero), and enabling it: both times 8x was not selectable.

What am I missing here?

You have to patch the firmware.

Originally posted by schrubber
You have to patch the firmware.

Link?

at default these will only work at 4x…after all they are just 4x.

I do not recommend messing with the firmware to allow these to be written at 8x.

Where did you get the idea that these should work at 8x?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
at default these will only work at 4x…after all they are just 4x.
I do not recommend messing with the firmware to allow these to be written at 8x.
Where did you get the idea that these should work at 8x?

They work really fine with 8x. Try yourself, you’ll be amazed. At least what I saw the last weeks with v4 and upcoming versions they are more stable in low level parameters - and they are fairly tolerable against different laser powers used for writing.

BTW: If you look into HS0K you’ll find this media twice. Once rated for 4x and once rated for 8x.

Originally posted by jitter
[B]They work really fine with 8x. Try yourself, you’ll be amazed. At least what I saw the last weeks with v4 and upcoming versions they are more stable in low level parameters - and they are fairly tolerable against different laser powers used for writing.

BTW: If you look into HS0K you’ll find this media twice. Once rated for 4x and once rated for 8x. [/B]

Yes at default revision 0 of this media is locked to 4x while revision 1 allows 8x. That’s why it’s found two places in the firmware.

Those I have is revision 0, tested at 8x in plextor PX-708A and they are unreadable afterwards = I suspect revision 0 is not good enough for 8x writing.

Not yet hacked the firmware for the 811S to see how they work in the 811S at 8x.

Hi, how can I change the write speed in Nero from 2.4X to 4X in a DVD+RW.

It only shows the 2.4X option.

Or is not possible?

Thank you.

Originally posted by GJCD
[B]Hi, how can I change the write speed in Nero from 2.4X to 4X in a DVD+RW.

It only shows the 2.4X option.

Or is not possible?

Thank you. [/B]

with firmware HS0K or newer all DVD+R media works at certified speeds so it depends on what speed your media is certified for.

Update
I see - DVD+RW: must be 4x certified & supported in the firmware.

And is not possible to force a different speed?

Thank you for the quick answer

Those I have is revision 0, tested at 8x in plextor PX-708A and they are unreadable afterwards = I suspect revision 0 is not good enough for 8x writing.

Mine are Rev.0, too. but try it. My last 2 spindles of CMC MAG F01 had better results than all RICOHJPNR01 I used before.

anyone crazy enough to try a speed modded firmware (2x DVD-R at 4x and 4x DVD+R at 8x) look here.

Personally tried BeALL 4x at 8x without luck.

Also tried 4x optodisck(but id is only 2x) at 4x - still not readable.

Originally posted by GJCD
And is not possible to force a different speed?

Of course it’s possible with patching the firmware. But the results would be horrible .

Ok, since no one else will explain how to change the write speed to 8X, here we go (please note this has been explained before in other threads):

1. Dump the firmware with a tool like Ltnflash or similar. You’ll need a binary dump (filename.BIN). I use firmware HS0K in this example
  2. Open the BIN file with a HEX editor like Ultraedit
  3. Goto position c021fH and change the value from 06 to 1E. This will allow the media to be burned at 2.4X, 4X, 6X and 8X. Make sure your HEX editor is in “overwrite mode”. You do NOT wish to append bytes to the firmware, just to replace existing values.
  4. Save the BIN file and upload it using Ltnflash, Mtkflash or similar tool.

The clever reader will know now how to mod write speeds of other DVD+R media by using this example. Actually the second last byte of each DVD+R entry in the firmware holds the key to the write speeds.

0x01 = 00000001 = 1x speed
0x02 = 00000010 = 2 x or 2.4x speed
0x04 = 00000100 = 4x speed
0x08 = 00001000 = 6x speed
0x10 = 00010000 = 8x speed

This means that 0x1E value equals 00011110 for media allowed to burn at 2x to 8x speeds, including 6x.

Good luck - and be carefull out there :slight_smile: Don’t mess up your drives now.

Cheers,
Peter

BTW Please note that modding DVD-R requires another approach.I have explained this before so do a search in the forum for instructions.

jitter: you are damn right!

What a difference!!! 8x with plextor = coasters, 8x with Lite-On = perfect!!!

The included scan is from a disc written with LDW-811S HS0K at 8x!!!

Maxell DVD-R (MXLRG01) 2x burned at 4x with the above-mentioned FW mod.

Oh well, you can’t blame a guy for trying, hehe. :wink:

[B]jitter: you are damn right!

What a difference!!! 8x with plextor = coasters, 8x with Lite-On = perfect!!!

The included scan is from a disc written with LDW-811S HS0K at 8x!!! [/B]

Burnt with 811 or 411@811?

has anyone done this to the 851s GS0A firmware?
If so could someone send it to me?

CMC is full of surprises!

Originally posted by jitter
Burnt with 811 or 411@811?

Real LDW-811S