How to get better colors on printable CD/DVD's with Epson 960 or 950?

vbimport

I have a problem with colors not being that great on Verbatum Datalife inkjet printable DVD’s. I’m using Epson 960 printer (which is similar to European model 950) that makes nice printouts on the photopaper but not on those printable CD’s or DVD’s. I have tried another brands and always the results are not great: colors are dull and somewhat reddish. Sometimes the green colors are with greyish shade. I’m buying my media from http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com.

I also tried both Surething Labeler and Epson Print CD software. There is no way to apply color correction except within the Epson driver. But without special profiling software/hardware ($400 and up) it is merely impossible to do so. Unless you want to spend $100’s in wasted disks and paint.

Anyway, I was wondering if somebody knows how to tweak the settings and what profiles to use. Or maybe there are templates to use within Adobe software? Oh well… I’m losing hope here:sad:

I don’t have that model, but I assume that the driver is similar to others, and the Epson PrintCD software should be the same.

In the PrintCD software, simply select “Premium Disc” in media type, and use the “color correction” slider to increase the density one or 2 notches.

In the printer driver, you should use Adobe RGB color profile, not the Epson profiles, and probably Gamma 2.2. You can further use the color sliders there, but if you are using “best photo” option, it shouldn’t be needed.

Be careful with increasing density with the Epson inks, as they can get too thick on some type discs, and be sticky for quite some time.

Yep, I’ve checked my monitor Gamma to be set at 2.2.

The problem with printer driver is that the current version is 5.50 dated 2004 year. There is no “Premium CD surface” or similar choice. Only one choice: CD/DVD. I’ve read on the Epson site that newer printers do have the “Premium CD” choice. Do you know how I can enable that choice in my driver by adding some profiles maybe?

[QUOTE=juzzie;1996327]Yep, I’ve checked my monitor Gamma to be set at 2.2.

The problem with printer driver is that the current version is 5.50 dated 2004 year. There is no “Premium CD surface” or similar choice. Only one choice: CD/DVD. I’ve read on the Epson site that newer printers do have the “Premium CD” choice. Do you know how I can enable that choice in my driver by adding some profiles maybe?[/QUOTE]

The gamma setting is in the printer driver. But it sounds like you have a pretty old driver version. If there’s no update for that or for the software, then you’re stuck. Seems like the CD-Print software should least be updatable for you. HERE are the latest driver versions.

In any case, I’m sure you have a density setting available to you, if not in the software then at least in the print driver.