How to get best results on copying my Planet Earth DVD set

I want to copy my Planet Earth DVD’s and get the best results. I don’t care about the peripherals, I just want to be able to bring up a menu with the 3 titles on each disk & be able to choose which one I want to view. Also what is the best software to use on this and other purchased DVD’s to insure the best results. Do I use different software to put it on the Hard Drive and then Shrink it? I’ve noticed a lot of you recommend DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter, are these pretty reliable and if so is there instructions for Dummies (not that I’m a Dummy, but for the sake of argument let’s say I am) that will tell me all I need to know to get great results.
Thanks
Uncle Bob

If you use DVDshrink, you can get rid of the peripherals, but cant keep the menu.
There is a program called Ripit4me, which has a “movie and menu” option, gotten free at MajorGeeks.
However, it sounds as though you might have three main movies on your dvd, in which case Id recommend you decrypt the entire disk, and then Shrink.
There is another free program that works well with new protection called DVD FabHD Decrypter, gotten here. Do entire disc with Fab, then use Shrink.

As for guides, they are found in several places on net. Just do a Google search, or check out the guides found on this forum.

For media, I prefer Verbatim.

I have the BBC issue set here, backed up on dual layer discs. The discs have 3 eps each, with each episode averaging around 2.5 GB. there’s no possibility of getting the entire disc shrunk to fit a 4.7GB DVD5 disc without serious picture degradation. This is not the set to have low quality pictures on.

So I’ll suggest you do the same as I did, and simply rip them to ISO and burn to a DL disc. DVDDecryptor will rip them and burn.

One option would be to split them onto 2 discs. You can do this and keep the menus with CloneDVD or RitIt4Me.

BTW, and off topic, if you ever have a chance to see this series on a HD or BD disc, do so. It’s breathtaking, and far better than is is on TV even in HD. There’s no comparison at all to the DVDs.

Did not realize the size of your DVD; thus I agree with Cdan.

just got done using dvdfab (platinum) to rip then burn the video ts folder @ 2.4 speed onto dual layer disks. No dvdshrink iso conversion required and the quality is excellent.

only problem i had was copying disk 4. dvdfab plat wont work for some reason. Ended up using dvddecryptor 3.5.4.0 and then burning using dvdfab platinum 4020 beta.

I produced a very nice set using DVD Rebuilder Pro. After striping the extra audio ext… and shrinking the menu you end up with each disc around 5.5Gb. Using DVDRB you will get a biterate around 3.8.

[QUOTE=CDan;1951163]I have the BBC issue set here, backed up on dual layer discs. The discs have 3 eps each, with each episode averaging around 2.5 GB. there’s no possibility of getting the entire disc shrunk to fit a 4.7GB DVD5 disc without serious picture degradation. This is not the set to have low quality pictures on.

So I’ll suggest you do the same as I did, and simply rip them to ISO and burn to a DL disc. DVDDecryptor will rip them and burn.

One option would be to split them onto 2 discs. You can do this and keep the menus with CloneDVD or RitIt4Me.

BTW, and off topic, if you ever have a chance to see this series on a HD or BD disc, do so. It’s breathtaking, and far better than is is on TV even in HD. There’s no comparison at all to the DVDs.[/QUOTE]
yeah dl is the way to go on this set…or do 2 episodes on each dvd5

If you are going to Dual Layer, I would suggest RipIt4Me, 1-Click mode, Full Dvd Rip to your hard drive, then place the output files in a folder you create called VIDEO_TS & burn with ImgBurn in Build Mode. Guide available onsite.

If I remember correctly, when I copied the set, each disc had 4 entries, each 56 to 58 minutes long. I used CloneDVD2 and when I viewed them, I wound up with duplicate copies of two of the four episodes from each disc.

How many episodes are there suppose to be on each disc??

(If it matters, I don’t save the menus.)

can you open the disk in dvdshrink and see the main titles?

I don’t have/use that program.

dvdshrink is one program you dont want to use with this set. this series is simply amazing and shouldnt be viewed at anything less than 100% video quality. spork out the money get some dual layer disks and do a full disk copy. even doing a copy at 99% just doesnt do this set justice. and then when youre done with that go get the “Blue Planet” series.

Why don’t you simply break each disc down to its 3 or 4 single chapters and record 1 chapter on a single layer disc. I realize you will have 12-14 single layer
discs when you are done but there will be absolutely no compression or loss of quality and single layer discs are cheap.
budzos

That’s what I did! :slight_smile:

thats what i did, i used dvdshrink to open files and reauthor. made an iso image of each title and burned with imgburn. Love it!!!

sorry is this is redundant. i have been working on this set for four days now with no luck. i am runngin dvd platinum and have shrink. i guess i am missing the boat here. is there somewhere with kind of a step by step. at this point i am totally lost.
thanks
gizmo

[QUOTE=gizmotoz;1964913]sorry is this is redundant. i have been working on this set for four days now with no luck. i am runngin dvd platinum and have shrink. i guess i am missing the boat here. is there somewhere with kind of a step by step. at this point i am totally lost.
thanks
gizmo[/QUOTE]

what are you trying to do…split up the discs or just copy them or…?

try using dvddecrypter then running through shrink, reauthor and burn individual episodes if burning onto standard 4.7s.

i am just trying to get a good copy. i paid a pretty penny for this set and do not want to loan out so i thought this would be a good solution.
gizmo