How to get an image file onto a virtual drive?

vbimport

I have never done any of this before which is why I’m absolutely confused. I purchased AnyDVD 3.8.2.3 and Alcohol 120% today. I bought Alcohol first otherwise I probably would have gone for CloneCD.

AnyDVD appears to be set up correctly and after reading the entire help files for Alcohol, so does that, but as soon as I go to make an image with it I am halted by a refusal based on copy protections. I thought AnyDVD was supposed to have taken care of those?

Getting absolutely nowhere I then downloaded the trial version of CloneCD and successfully made an image which is on my C: drive. Alcohol placed a virtual drive on my machine called F: and my goal is to copy my DVD to that so I don’t have to use the DVD drive anymore. It’s purely a battery saving exercise as I travel a lot with this laptop.

Can anyone tell me:

• How to watch the film from the image, or get the DVD copied to my virtual drive to watch it?

• How to make Alcohol do its job in conjunction with AnyDVD so that I don’t get the proverbial door slammed in my face?

• Which is better, Alcohol 120% or CloneCD?

Alessia

First off

First off Alcohol Vs CloneCD. They can do different things but for me Alcohol is WAY better than CloneCD at present.

If you are going to use the virtual drive then I don’t think you will need to use AnyDVD. It is mainly for making your own DVD’s

To get you DVD into the virtual drive you basically need to get it saved onto your harddrive in the right format. I would think using http://www.dvddecrypter.com in ISO mode would get you the right file format. All you would then have to do is to right Click on your F Drive and then click on Mount Image. Find you image and hey presto you should have your image loaded.

A quick note is that I havn’t done this before so please post again if either successful or not.

It depends. I like CloneCD for scratched CDs as I belive it can correct errors better. But as Alcohol is the newest updated, a load of more features and more I agree with you.

Alcohol won’t let me make an image of a DVD because of copyright (CSS scripts I suppose), and I thought AnyDVD was supposed to have taken care of that.

I did manage to make an image of a game CD but can’t get it to mount because when I right click on the virtual drive letter the computer crashes.

Ok let me help you out with this… first things first I really wouldn’t mess with Alcohol 120% (sorry to tell you that) but what I would do if I were in your situation is this:
First go here and download this nice little porgram called Daemon tools http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5
This program will make a virtual drive for you that I have found to mount anything I’ve thrown at it… once installed you just go to mount and search the hard drive for the image and it should work fine for you (Disclaimer: mind you only use images to items you own)
Then I would use Clone CD or DVD (I use CloneDVD 2.0) to make the image which I believe you’ve already done… then use daemon to find it and it will work for you I’m sure I do this all the time…

AnyDVD already created a virtual drive which according to the sales blurb on their site will allow anything to run on it as it disables CSS scripts. I did download Daemon Tools anyway and when installing it gave a warning that having 2 drivers for creating virtual drives would likely cause conflicts and suggested I did not go ahead.

I realized after looking closely at CloneCD that it is not for DVD’s so I took your advice and got CloneDVD 2.0. I will study the help files from start to finish and then try it out. Whatever happens I will report back here.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far.

one way i can think of to achieve your goal would be to download dvd decrypter [it’s free]. then copy the main movie to your hard drive with dvd decrypter. then just click on the VIDEO_TS file in the folder you saved the files to. you can also use iso mode then mount the iso to your virtual roms.

Last night I successfully made a DVD copy to my hard drive using CloneDVD. Interestingly, it plays in the folder the files were saved to without having to mount it to the virtual drive. I used the DVD file option as opposed to the image option; was that the correct thing to do or would the image have resulted in a much smaller file?

Would DVD Decrypter do a better job than CloneDVD? I have to say that it was very easy and the picture/sound quality is phenomenal!

well that’s all you need to do ! just use Clone DVD as if you were going to make a copy of it and when it’s on your hard drive, you can play it with Power DVD and any other player you would use to play DVD’s on your computer just play it from the File Clone DVD copied it to, it’s as simple as that, I think you already worked it out your self. just do it the way you already did it. I don’t think it can be any easier or quicker that the way you already have done it. If you use DVD Decrypter you only going to make more work for your self and the file will be bigger . :slight_smile:

I use DVD Decypter in ISO mode to make an image, then use Alcohol 120% to mount it, thats it. you need NTFS for that though, as DVD images are > 4 GB.

What is NTFS please?

BTW, I made another copy of a dance CD but the music is almost inaudible whereas the voices are crystal clear. What could I have done wrong?

Another trouble I’m having is that neither CloneCD or CloneDVD give you the option to name your CD/DVD. I tried doing it from the drive letter but that says I don’t have the required permissions to do so. Is there any solution to this?

Short for NT (New Technology) File System, one of the file systems for the Windows NT operating systems (Windows NT also supports the FAT file system). NTFS has features to improve reliability, such as transaction logs to help recover from disk failures. To control access to files, you can set permissions for directories and/or individual files.
In fact it is the file system that the Windows NT operating systems use for storing and retrieving files on a hard disk.

This maybe due to a copy protection, drive issues or fast read speeds.

These programs are normally only used for duplication, not for mastering. Thus also the title is duplicated. You cannot change the label of a written disc, as it is read only.

NTFS vs FAT32

There is no straightforward answer to this one! Undoubtedly unless you are dual-booting with another Operating System, or need to use DOS then NTFS is the only way to take full advantage of Windows 2000’s(or XP’s) security and stability. If outright speed is your main requirement, then FAT32 is slightly faster on all but the largest drives: however both NTFS and FAT32 can be tweaked for speed by altering the Cluster Size.

FAT 32
FAT32 is an enhanced version of the FAT file system that can be used on drives from 512 megabytes (MB) to 32 GB in size. If you’re setting up a dual-boot configuration, you should probably use FAT or FAT32.

If you’re dual booting Windows 2000 (or XP) and another operating system, choose a file system based on the other operating system, using the following criteria:

Format the partition as FAT if the installation partition is smaller than 2 gigabytes (GB), or if you’re dual booting Windows 2000(or XP) with MS-DOS®, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT.

Use FAT32 for use on partitions that are 2 GB or larger. If you choose to format using FAT during Windows 2000(or XP) Setup and your partition is greater than 2 GB, Setup automatically formats it as FAT32.

It’s recommended that you use NTFS rather than FAT32 for partitions larger than 32 GB.

NTFS

The NTFS file system is the recommended file system for use with Windows 2000 (& XP). NTFS has all of the basic capabilities of FAT, and it provides the following advantages over the FAT and FAT 32 file systems:

1. Better file security.

2. Better disk compression.

3. Support for large hard disks, up to 2 terabytes (TB).(The maximum drive size for NTFS is much greater than that for FAT, and as drive size increases, performance with NTFS doesn’t degrade as it does with FAT.)

If you’re using a dual-boot configuration (using both Windows 2000(or XP) and another operating system on the same computer), you may not be able to gain access to files on NTFS partitions from the other operating system on your computer. For this reason, you should probably use FAT32 or FAT if you want a dual-boot configuration. The NTFS used by Windows 2000 (& XP)is not compatible with the version used by Windows NT4. There are programmes available that will make NTFS partitions accessible under Windows 98/ME such as NTFS for Win98.
Copy & paste :wink:

You can name the DVD via clone dvd, before you go through the final step, it will ask for Volume Label, that’s what you want to change if you want to change the name…

punjabi, thank you for that long explanation re FAT 32 and NTFS however I think you forgot you were posting in the newbies forum. Nothing you said meant anything to me, I’m sorry but I just don’t have that kind of experience.

I don’t think it applies to me anyway. My laptop has an 80GB hard drive with XP Pro. The drive might be good but Windows XP is a pile of junk in comparison with Windows 98. I have only had this computer for 2 weeks and it keeps crashing and giving the blue screen of death. Arggghhh!!!

HPChlorinator, thanks for the tip, I will try that next time around.

Alessia

[random thoughts]DAMN, you got a girl posting a question and fools can’t wait to rush in and help. Perhaps guys who can’t get an answer should reregister w/ a female name and a hot chick pic as the avator.[/random thoughts]

Anyway, on to the question.

If you wanna store multiple DVD movies onto the HD, it’s as simple as ripping (copying) the DVD to the HD using DVD Decrypter, then play it w/ any software DVD player, which I’m sure it’s included as part of your laptop’s software package. If not, PowerDVD is an excellent choice.

WinXP crashing and BSOD? Did you upgrade to WinXP Pro or installed fresh? Upgrade causes a shit load of problem, so it’s always best to format the HD to NTFS and install WinXP fresh.