How to get ~700MB mpg's to fit on (S)VCD's

vbimport

Hi, the topic says it all. How can I do this? They are too small to waste a DVD on (there are 10 of them, so I def. dont want to waste DVD’s on them) , but they go about 42MB over the 700MB CD limit (each one is about 695MB). Can I lower the quality of the movie? I remember Nero did this with some over-sized DVD movie of mine - it automatically lowered its quality to fit on the DVD. But I dont see Nero doing this for (S)VCD’s.

Help would be appreciated :bow:

what burner? try overburning the discs.

Why not author 6 of them at a time to one DVDR?
DVDLab will do this directly, no re-encoding needed.
You just need to transcode audio to 48khz, and dvdlab will even do that for you.

Sony DRU-710a (aka, LiteOn 1633S)

42 megabyte overburn? I dont know, I have heard you risk laser damage in doing that and 42MB’s is quite a lot.

I would much, much rather use CDs, but if this isn’t possible I could use Nero to do that for me.

Any other suggestions?

Re-encode your mpegs to a lower bitrate, so they fit on CDR.

Use VCD rather than SVCD. SVCD only allows for 50 minutes or so but SVCD allows for around 74 or 80.

How?

since VCD and SVCD discs are MODE2, they can hold 800MB of data. If you author as such they will fit without issue.

Exactly, Daemonicus. A “80’ CD-ROM” is, truly, a “360,000 sectors” CD-R.
On a sector you can fit 2048 bytes of DATA (MODE 1), 2332 bytes of movie (MODE 2), 2352 bytes of ‘RAW images’ (in which the ECC are nor re-calculated during the burning: this is the only way to create a 1:1 copy of a CD and therefore is used for CD bckup purposes) or ‘audio’ (no EDC/ECC needed). The extra bytes are the ECC and the ECC (Error Detection & Correction Codes). Therefore, on a “80’ CD-ROM” you can fit
360,0002048 = 737,280,000 bytes (700 MB)
2336 = 840,960,000 bytes (800 MB)
360,000*2352 = 846,720,000 bytes (more or less 807 MB)

Othrwise, since 1 munute WAV = 10 MB, why wuold it be “80’ CD-R or 700 MB” ?

Get an encoder such as tmpgenc, Mainconcept, CCE, Canopus, whatever.
Use Gspot to find the total running time of the file(s), in hours and minutes.
Then use a bitrate calculator such as this: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/calc.htm to figure out the max bitrate to use during encoding to fit your movies onto 1, 2, or even 3 cdr.

Exactly, Daemonicus. A “80’ CD-ROM” is, truly, a “360,000 sectors” CD-R.
On a sector you can fit 2048 bytes of DATA (MODE 1), 2332 bytes of movie (MODE 2), 2352 bytes of ‘RAW images’ (in which the ECC are nor re-calculated during the burning: this is the only way to create a 1:1 copy of a CD and therefore is used for CD bckup purposes) or ‘audio’ (no EDC/ECC needed). The extra bytes are the ECC and the ECC (Error Detection & Correction Codes). Therefore, on a “80’ CD-ROM” you can fit
360,0002048 = 737,280,000 bytes (700 MB)
2336 = 840,960,000 bytes (800 MB)
360,000*2352 = 846,720,000 bytes (more or less 807 MB)

Othrwise, since 1 munute WAV = 10 MB, why wuold it be “80’ CD-R or 700 MB” ?
11 Hours Ago 06:31
Then why does nero complain that I’d be overburning??? Shouldn’t nero ‘know’ this stuff?

I really don’t understand what the problem is here.
I’ve just taken an 800mb mpg file (46mins SVCD) & in Nero Express taken the SVCD option , loaded this file with Nero stating the disc file size is 698mb & it’s happy for me to burn. However, trying this in Nero (burning ROM) the default CD size is 74mins - could this be the issue?

Well, I tried overburning and as I suspected, I tried verifying the disc and it hung at 99% with my lite on blinking and clicking, though I tried it and it played on my DVD player :confused: Bet the end is all messed up though. :Z

Yeah, I just tried out w/ chapters so I could surf to the end, and the player couldn’t read the end. :a Damn. Looks like I’ll have to reduce the bitrate or something.

Do you have VCD Easy? This takes a VCD/SVCD mpg file , adds chapters and will create a BIN file & burn for you. It does a good job of verifying the mpg & might point out some issues with it. I prefer it to Nero, in fact I only use Nero to burn DVDs.

VCDEasy will author it, but if it’s too big, it’s too big.
The only way to get it smaller is to re-encode at a lower bitrate.
Add chapters and menus in VCDEasy, and it’s got to be even smaller.

Exact. Overburning is a different thing. The burner (using Nero, or whatever) ‘tries’ to burn in parts of the CD that usually dont contain such sectors (sometimes it goes well, somtimes it doesn’t).
My ‘lesson’ didn’t deal with overburn The 360,000 sectors I was speaking of are ‘true’ empty sectors, and the burner fills them according on the type of thing you’re putting into them.
Encoding with a smaller bitrate is a different thing. It’s a way to encode a movie using a different - less detailed - compression, but it applies on SVCD (VBR) and NOT to VCD (CBR). I won’t speak aboput AVIs, because not every DVD reader can read them. The only way to have a smaller bitrate for a VCD is to encode the movie in KVCD form (about 6 MB/min instead of 10 MB/Min).

Authoring is a way to transform mpeg-1 --> VCD image, or mpeg-2 --> SVCD image. Nero makes the best authoring, VCDEasy needs more room (Nero=6/7 MB, VCDEasy=10.6 MB over the movie length, but VCDEasy adds ‘chapters’, Nero doesn’t) .

but VCDEasy adds ‘chapters’, Nero doesn’t
Huh?
Are we talking about Nerovision Express here?