How to force 6X CLV with MKM-001 media on DVR-212?

vbimport

If you consult the specs for the DVR-212 drive here:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/1605/442/DVR-212/index.html

You’ll see that it is SUPPOSED TO burn DVD+R dual layer media at 6X CLV. This seems normal, as the DVR-111 series can do that, and the DVR-212 writes single layer media at at 6X CLV.

The issue is that the DVR-212 does not do as it is advertised, instead writing Verbatim MKM-001 dual layer media at Zone-CLV, at 4X for the initial 670 MB, and then 6X for the remainder. If both layers are full, it will also “downshift” to 4X when finishing the second layer.

The problem with this is that it creates banding on the recorded surface, but not just the normal rings as I’m used to seeing. Instead there seems to be about a 300 MB transition period after the switch to 6X where there are what can best be described as “swirls” in the coloration of the dye…sort of like a hurricane viewed from a satellite, and these occur around the entire circumferene in this 300 MB zone. Meanwhile, if I burn at 4X, it is true CLV and the surface is burned with an even appearance with no graduations in the coloring of the dye layers. Because of how it occurs in this zone, I’m assuming there was an issue with the re-calibration of the laser power before burning resumes at 6X. The discs seem to play OK, but I’m concerned about the quality of the burn. This same media burned on my DVR-111 drive burns at a true 6X with perfect results (no banding/color graduations).

Yes, these are made in Singapore with the “original style” artwork on the label side.

I know I can swap strategies with MCSE, but is there a way to actually edit the instructions for the existing MKM-001 entry in the firmware to force the 212 to burn at a true 6X CLV? I know that is possible with other brand DVD writers such as LiteOn, as people have released custom firmware for them to change the location at which speed shifts are made or laser recalibrations are performed. If that isn’t possible on Pioneer drives, is it possible to copy the MCC-004 strategy (which burns at 6X CLV in this drive) to the MCC-001 without disabling the MCC-004 strategy?

It has been extremely frustrating dealing with this issue on a drive that should be at least as capable as my older DVR-111 drives…

Regards,

FordMan

WHO SAYS that the burner would burn the DL from start to end at 6x?
It cannot be. That is the point, and it will not change.

Your thoughts about “forcing that write speed” are wrong, and it cannot be done either.

[QUOTE=chef;2033548]WHO SAYS that the burner would burn the DL from start to end at 6x?
It cannot be. That is the point, and it will not change.

Your thoughts about “forcing that write speed” are wrong, and it cannot be done either.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Did you READ the specs at the link I provided? PIONEER SAYS that it burns at 6X CLV. The problem is that it DOESN’T!

I’m talking about a modification that would allow it to burn at the true 6X CLV that it is avertised to do, and not this 4X to 6X zone CLV that it actually does. Instead I get the Z-CLV pattern that pinto2 gets on his DVR-115, shown here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2032513-post5.html

So, are you asserting that I’m getting 6X CLV if I repeatedly get the same pattern that pinto2 got? Surely not. I’m not asking about how to force the speed, but rather how to edit the firmware so that it does not start at 4X and then SHIFT to 6X once I’m 670 MB into the burn. THe DVR-111 series does this flawlessly, so Pioneer could fix their firmware for the DVR-212 drive to do 6X CLV as they advertise. If you are stating that the current firmware cannot be modified to do it, then I suppose you could be correct about that. The point is that if the DVR-212 can burn single layer (MCC-004, for example) media at 6X across the entire disc, then their use of 4X near the hub is not limited by the rotational speed near the hub in any way.

Perhapse you can clear all this up for me by explaining why Pioneer removed the 6X CLV DVD+R dual layer recording that was present in prior drives like the DVR-111?

Look, I respect your knowledge and expertise, but I think you were off the mark here…unelss you were splitting hairs to state that for the initial few megabytes, it’s less than 6X. I have DVR-111 drives that show that the burn was effectively 6X at start and finish, with the occasional dips where the drive re-calibrates, and I usually end up with an average write speed of approximately 5.8X.

Then you must claim that to Pioneer if you insist.

I would suggest you test various recommended DL media with your burner.

I would contact pioneer about that but I don’t think possible

[QUOTE=FordMan;2032365]If you consult the specs for the DVR-212 drive here:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/1605/442/DVR-212/index.html

You’ll see that it is SUPPOSED TO burn DVD+R dual layer media at 6X CLV. This seems normal, as the DVR-111 series can do that, and the DVR-212 writes single layer media at at 6X CLV.

The issue is that the DVR-212 does not do as it is advertised, instead writing Verbatim MKM-001 dual layer media at Zone-CLV, at 4X for the initial 670 MB, and then 6X for the remainder. If both layers are full, it will also “downshift” to 4X when finishing the second layer.

The problem with this is that it creates banding on the recorded surface, but not just the normal rings as I’m used to seeing. Instead there seems to be about a 300 MB transition period after the switch to 6X where there are what can best be described as “swirls” in the coloration of the dye…sort of like a hurricane viewed from a satellite, and these occur around the entire circumferene in this 300 MB zone. Meanwhile, if I burn at 4X, it is true CLV and the surface is burned with an even appearance with no graduations in the coloring of the dye layers. Because of how it occurs in this zone, I’m assuming there was an issue with the re-calibration of the laser power before burning resumes at 6X. The discs seem to play OK, but I’m concerned about the quality of the burn. This same media burned on my DVR-111 drive burns at a true 6X with perfect results (no banding/color graduations).

Yes, these are made in Singapore with the “original style” artwork on the label side.

I know I can swap strategies with MCSE, but is there a way to actually edit the instructions for the existing MKM-001 entry in the firmware to force the 212 to burn at a true 6X CLV? I know that is possible with other brand DVD writers such as LiteOn, as people have released custom firmware for them to change the location at which speed shifts are made or laser recalibrations are performed. If that isn’t possible on Pioneer drives, is it possible to copy the MCC-004 strategy (which burns at 6X CLV in this drive) to the MCC-001 without disabling the MCC-004 strategy?

It has been extremely frustrating dealing with this issue on a drive that should be at least as capable as my older DVR-111 drives…

Regards,

FordMan[/QUOTE]

I don't care what you burn your dual media at there will always be those "SWIRLS" as you say. This has almost nothing to do with the writing type and speed but has to do with the media being dual layer. When you put 2 layers on top of each other and burn them you are going to get this swirl effect NO MATTER WHAT.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2033981]I don’t care what you burn your dual media at there will always be those “SWIRLS” as you say. This has almost nothing to do with the writing type and speed but has to do with the media being dual layer. When you put 2 layers on top of each other and burn them you are going to get this swirl effect NO MATTER WHAT.[/QUOTE]

I’ll see if I can scan the surface to show you what I’m referrnig to, as I did not describe it adequately. I’m not referring to the patterns that are visible on (almost all) unburned dual layer media. Those go across the entire surface.

What I’m referring to is a ring on the burned disc in the region where it switches from 4X to 6X, and in this ring there are somewhat circular patterns that look like “eddys” in a stream of water, or perhaps a hurrican viewed from space. This appears consitently on Singapore-made Verbatim MKM-001 discs burned on my DVR-212, but NEVER with discs from the same spindle on my DVR-111. Of course the DVR-111 burns this media at true 6X CLV, so it does appear to be related to the transition from 4X to 6X on the DVR-212.

My (hopefully temporary) fix is to burn at only 4X.

[QUOTE=chef;2033894]Then you must claim that to Pioneer if you insist.

I would suggest you test various recommended DL media with your burner.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks.

As I mentioned the DVR-111 burns the same media (Verbatim MKM-001, made in Singapore) and from the same spindle at a true 6X CLV and always has.

I suppose it is possible that Pioneer allows 6X CLV only for the MKM-003 and other media that is rated directly for higher speeds, though I cannot imagine why. 6X CLV burns on the DVR-111 produce great quality scans, so it does not seem to have been altered out of quality concerns.

pinto2’s can of his DVR-115 drive at least indicates that the limitation is not present only in the DVR-212…