Morpheus gives Web surfers a detour

Alien_X used our newssubmit to tell us that Morpheus seems to be changing their policy. As they always advertised their software to be spyware free, you should read this:

The company on Tuesday said it has begun installing a Web browser add-on that sends some Morpheus users on an invisible Web detour aimed at capturing data about file swappers' surfing habits.

Thus, when a file swapper visits a site such as Radioshack.com, eBay.com or a handful of others, their computer visits a separate site behind the scenes before loading the final destination site. Those separate servers, run by marketing companies including Be Free, count how many times Morpheus users stop by. According to StreamCast Chief Executive Steve Griffin, no personal information is being collected.

"Before I do a partnership with anyone I make sure they won't collect any personal information," Griffin said, adding that the marketing program would be fully released next month. "We're just trying to test and make sure the technology is working."

StreamCast has tried to distinguish itself from other file-swapping services by saying it is wholly free of "spyware," third-party software applications that track people's movements online. Many other applications, including rival Kazaa, come bundled with several advertising programs that pop up ads as people surf online.

Well it's up to you, personally I wouldn't use software that has these intentions. There is a reason they use this 'technology' (I would call it a trick) and who knows what the future will bring us...

Source: Cnet.com

No posts to display