How to flash firmware in real-DOS mode?

vbimport

I know this is a noob question. I used the search function, but can’t find instructions on this site for how to flash firmware in DOS mode.

The specifics: I’m trying to update firmware for a Matshita SR-8588 dvd-rom. I’ve downloaded the 7Z13 firmware, but obviously it won’t update through XP. I’ve simply never tried the DOS mode method, and don’t want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi and Welcome!

since there is no general rule for flashing firmware, you’d have to rely on the documentation that came with the firmware (or is separately available at the same place as the firmware file.)

Michael

Thanks for the welcome. Documentation with the firmware was sparse: it came in the form of txt file that reads as follows:

ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM Drive F/W Download Ulitlity DWL2.EXE Usage

Usage: DWL2 <0-3> <F/W file name>
0: PRIMARY MASTER
1: PRIMARY SLAVE
2: SECONDALY MASTER
3: SECONDALY SLAVE

Ex.: DWL2 2 A.BIN

You can’t use this program on “Windows DOS Prompt”.
Please execute on Real-DOS mode.

The txt file was accompanied by a DWL2.EXE file and a 7Z13.BIN file. I’ve no idea where to go from here.

Came across this excellent set of instructions that walked me through the process:

1. Download the patched firmware file & unzip it.

2. Prepare a bootable floppy disk using the XP format disk function, selecting “Create an MS-DOS startup disk” option. Delete all files from the floppy except IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM (this leaves a minimal boot floppy ideal for flashing). Use a good quality floppy.

3. Copy the flash utility (DWL2.EXE) and firmware file (XXX.BIN) to the floppy and check it using Properties -> Tools -> Error checking.

4. Using Nero Infotool, establish whether your DVD drive is set up as Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master or Secondary Slave on the IDE buses.

5. Using the floppy reboot your computer to DOS (you may have to set your BIOS to boot from floppy if it doesn’t do this automatically).

6. At the DOS prompt enter: DWL2 N XXXX.BIN — [key Return]

Except that for “N” you substitute a number from 0 to 3 according to the IDE setting of your drive (see Step 4) as follows:

0: PRIMARY MASTER
1: PRIMARY SLAVE
2: SECONDARY MASTER
3: SECONDARY SLAVE

And XXXX.BIN should be the firmware version number.

Don’t interfere with the computer while the flash is proceeding.

1. After flashing reboot and check whether the drive has been updated to the recent firmware version.

Hope this helps the next person with this issue. Good luck, and thanks again!