How to fix laptop internal WIFI antenna

vbimport

Hello,
This is my second hint, how to fix things.
I have a 3 years old HP laptop and 2 years ago I accidentally broke flat display. So I been using my laptop with external display since then.
Checked internet for flat display prices and I found that it is not worth fixing, unless you want use your laptop in mobile mode.
Because laptop’s internal antenna was behind flat panel, I removed it and also I removed internal WiFi card (Intel 5100 mini PCI express). For wireless I used used Belkin F5D8073 V3 PCI express WiFi card. Not good card, very weak reception.
Couple days ago I thought put back my Intel card ad leave antenna hanging out of my laptop’s back. As I lost my original antenna, I removed connectors from card and soldered 2 60cm (roughly 2 feet) long wires on to my card. While you soldering please be careful and do not break PCB. After soldering you need fix wires with something very strong (epoxy, silicon), or you going break PCB for sure.
For my surprise with self made antenna I have much better reception than with Belkin. Seems like any copper wire will do the trick, just not too thick or you going have hard times soldering it on to PCB.

Well Cawabunga, the fix sounds good if you want a patch job. I fix and work on Laptops all the time, and I pride myself in bringing them back to Like New condition. You can usually find any part you need on eBay. You could have replaced the Display and WiFi Antenna at a minimal cost, and had a great looking Laptop. :cool:

Like I mentioned, that old laptop is not worth fixing. Actually it is most bugged laptop I ever had. It is HP DV7 1020ea, for sure last HP I ever own. Linux kernel reports BIOS bug and it still not fixed, after 3 years. USB ports on right side are not working properly. Keyboard and mouse work fine but SonyEriccson datasuite refuses work due timing problem. Original Blue-ray died after 3 months, it was Optiarc but it had HP firmware, I guess HP guys over cooked. And after I got treated like last n00b buy HP techs support, I decided not deal with them any more. Laptop fan started sound like jet engine after 6 months, so I just applied proper thermal paste and it’s been very quiet since then. I can do exactly same as you, cheap and efficient. Besides, hacking stuff is fun. :smiley:
Today my fried asked have a look on he’s X Box 360, just after few hours digging in the internet I know what kind of incredible piece of garbage X Box is. It’s going to be pure fun fix RROD problems.

And buy the way, today I tested 60cm wire hack on my Belkin, after modding I couldn’t recognize my express card. I got about 2-3Db extra gain for sure. It’s working 100%. Only thing, before applying hack, original internal antenna must be disconnected.

Three year old Laptop is not that old, and yours is not that bad. Has a Core2 Processor, Memory Maxes out at 8Gb, runs on Vista but you can upgrade to Windows 7. Not many Techs like to work on Laptops, it takes a lot of patience and you have to be very meticulous. Yours sounds like it might need a new MB, and that can be fun. If you learn how to do the work right, it can be very rewarding and your Laptop will run better than new. :cool:

I’m running Win 7 since public beta, Vista I would categorize like worthless junk. But laptop it’s self, it is OK for certain things. However, as I still like play computer games, my current laptop is not “cutting” enough for me any more. Even after over clocking GPU (core 625Mhz, memory 500Mhz and shader 1302Mhz) I got bit better frame rates but it is still not enough.
So currently I’m saving money for something decent, like Clevo X7200. Now that I would call to kick a$$ rig. Despite no support yet for Sandybridge, 6 core CPU and dual GPU would make very big difference to my current laptop.
As example, have look here, what kind insanity could be customized, with enough money in your pocket: http://www.originpc.com/index.asp
Eon 17 is based on Clveo X7200 bare bone laptop.

Yes, you are correct, Laptops are good computers but they are not Gaming or Workstations. They are very good for portable computing, but if you need powerful computer you can’t beat a Desktop. You can build up a Desktop to what ever you need. I keep telling people, if they are serious about Gaming or Video they should build or buy themselves a strong Desktop. :cool:

I do not agree with you here, now days laptops are powerful enough, plus laptops do not use that much power.
Have you seen video on youtube, guy crossfired 2 Ati 6990’s (that is 4x6970), it “sucked” 1.2 KW and that wasn’t peak. Because watt meter has delay, so peak would be something 1.5-1.6KW.
Also laptop is a mobility, no matter how heavy laptop is, I just drop it in to rucksack with power supply and go. Try do same with workstation, not a chance.
Laptop CPU’s and GPU’s are weaker than desktop ones but 300W for 6 core CPU and high performance dual video card is very good power economy. That’s why high end gaming laptops are expensive, it pays back later with electricity bills. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Cawabunga;2603550]I do not agree with you here, now days laptops are powerful enough, plus laptops do not use that much power.
Have you seen video on youtube, guy crossfired 2 Ati 6990’s (that is 4x6970), it “sucked” 1.2 KW and that wasn’t peak. Because watt meter has delay, so peak would be something 1.5-1.6KW.[/QUOTE]

That is the price for power users. Laptops don’t use alot of power wait let’s rephrase that a power hungry laptop will use just ask much power then the regular computing laptop and how you would come to the conclusion that a high end laptop doesn’t use alot of power makes me wonder what specs are you reviewing???

[QUOTE=Cawabunga;2603550]Also laptop is a mobility, no matter how heavy laptop is, I just drop it in to rucksack with power supply and go. Try do same with workstation, not a chance.[/QUOTE]

You can do the same with desktop as well they now have LCD screens which reduce the luggage weight as well. So this is a no starter to begin with. Ever hear of LAN conventions…and see how many laptops vs desktop there are showing up there…

[QUOTE=Cawabunga;2603550]Laptop CPU’s and GPU’s are weaker than desktop ones but 300W for 6 core CPU and high performance dual video card is very good power economy. That’s why high end gaming laptops are expensive, it pays back later with electricity bills. :D[/QUOTE]

Nothing comes without sacrifices especially in power users laptop or desktop. Those going for power already know what they want regardless of the electric bills if not they will be in for a surprise.

And if you didn’t a expect a former hardcore gamers to reply back you must be mistaken. To experience the full richness of a game one has to push the limits of the hardware for full enjoyments.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607164]That is the price for power users. Laptops don’t use alot of power wait let’s rephrase that a power hungry laptop will use just ask much power then the regular computing laptop and how you would come to the conclusion that a high end laptop doesn’t use alot of power makes me wonder what specs are you reviewing???[/QUOTE]

Have you ever hear anything about power consumption minimisation? Laptop components, including electronics components inside laptops are specially designed for lower power consumption. Because laptop has to work from battery, no matter how long. Is it 30 minutes or 3 hours, it has to work from battery.
And it is here, have look on Eon17, it is based on Clevo X7200 barebone laptop. Only set back is that for dual GTX580M you’ll need 2 300W power supplies.
http://www.originpc.com/

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607164]You can do the same with desktop as well they now have LCD screens which reduce the luggage weight as well. So this is a no starter to begin with. Ever hear of LAN conventions…and see how many laptops vs desktop there are showing up there…[/QUOTE]

Fine buy me if you like wonder around with 2 rucksacks, one on front and other on back. Because second rucksack you going need for cables, battery and power inverter.
I rather use 1 rucksack and fire my laptop up when I want and where I want.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607164]Nothing comes without sacrifices especially in power users laptop or desktop. Those going for power already know what they want regardless of the electric bills if not they will be in for a surprise.[/QUOTE]

If you like “suck” nuclear power station dry, without knowing what you actually doing or how things do work. Just help you self.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607164]And if you didn’t a expect a former hardcore gamers to reply back you must be mistaken. To experience the full richness of a game one has to push the limits of the hardware for full enjoyments.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, you are so clueless.
Any big richness difference between 70FPS and 100FPS?
I’ll give you free history lesson about power consumption during computerisation.
Commodore C64 took 50W, now days multi core processors with hundreds of millions transistors consume same much power.
First XT’s where based on 74 series TTL (Transistor to Transistor Logics) and they draw insane 500W. Very quickly engineers come out with less and less power hungry transistors.

[ul]
[li]74 - the “standard TTL” logic family had no letters between the “74” and the specific part number.[/li][li]74L - Low power (compared to the original TTL logic family), very slow[/li][li]H - High speed (still produced but generally superseded by the S-series, used in 1970s era computers)[/li][li]S - Schottky (obsolete)[/li][li]LS - Low Power Schottky[/li][li]AS - Advanced Schottky[/li][li]ALS - Advanced Low Power Schottky[/li][li]F - Fast (faster than normal Schottky, similar to AS)[/li][/ul]
Until most logic chips (including processors and video cards) got moved to CMOS field effect transistors.
That’s why 386 times computers power consumption dropped to 150-200W.
And with Pentiums power consumption went up again because more and more transistors got added in to CPU’s and GPU’s.

Here is some reading for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7400_series

Here some more reading, please notice power draw difference between desktop processors and mobile processors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

I had a wireless issue with a family member’s laptop and, IMO, the easiest fix is one of the micro USB wireless adapters. They are so small and cheap ($10 or less) that it is hard to not use them. They also don’t stick out far enough from the laptop body to be a nuisance and the one I bought had great connectivity and speed (wireless N). Plus they can be removed easily and reused on another computer. Here is an image of one compared to an SD memory card:

[QUOTE=Cawabunga;2607331]

Oh man, you are so clueless.[/QUOTE]

This about sums up your hijacking a thread that has nothing related to your own rants. Let me put this way you posted in the wrong thread and hijacked it for your own purpose without even knowing what the OP posted and expect to call me clueless well dude get a clue stop hijacking another OP posting and start you own and rant all you want.

Wasn’t me OP, who suggested way fix Wi-Fi antenna? And then you hijacked thread and started putting in nonsense.
Just please open your eyes and look who is OP. Indeed, you are clueless. Thanks for making my day. :smiley:

Edit: Looks like you are used being winner every time but not this time. Apparently I have much better knowledge of computers and electronics. Being hardcore gamer means nothing, if you don’t know exactly how things do work.

The maximum power you should use is the minimum power that will do the job.If you’re thinking of using an omni-directional antenna on a stick,that works.To tether to your laptop you will need to create an infrastructure AP, ad-hoc will not work.