How to find out real values of VariRec?

vbimport

I have requested this info from Plextor tech support but they tell me “they cant tell me this info”. The spec sheet for the Mitsui Gold media I use specifies 5.9 milliwatts as the optimum burn power. Is there anyway to know what VariRec setting may be equivalent to this?

When you insert an empty CD, it is identified by its ATIP … the general writing strategy is then derived from the drive’s firmware. Afterwards, your drive will adjust it’s recording power (laser power output) to the inserted media during the OPC (Optimum Power Calibration) phase (by writing to a dedicated area on the disc is used as a test area before the actual burn process starts). Additionally, POWEREC (Plextor’s abbrevation for their running OPC) will adjust the laser power output and the write speed during the burn process if necessary.

VariRec will most likely fail to give you a quality improvement on high quality media so you should just leave the job to your drive if you use supported media. It is more likely that you actually get lower quality burns if you use VariRec.

What do you think about these tests made about the Varirec settings ?
They were made with the Plextor PX-712A

- VariREC Tests for DVD Format:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9346&PageId=12

- VariREC Tests for CD Format:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9346&PageId=13

> What do you think about these tests made about the Varirec settings ?

Very insightful as usual. Don’t forget : 0,1 and 3,4 are good, but 2 is evil !!

Wasn’t it 4?? (Not sure if 4 is evil outside Chinese-Asia.)

Are you joking about the meaning of numbers in different cultures or talking about Varirec settings ?

Just talking about one thing at a time: the Varirec in the DVD format:

I see that:
+3, -3 and +1,-1 have not even been tested
thre are also negative number settings tested such as: -4 and -2
the best jitter was with the +4 setting (DVD-Video)
the worst with no Varirec enabled (DVD-Video)

I just try to understand if this +4 setting is a more or less general rule for the PX-712A and the DVD-Video format or just a matter of luck ?

[ and by the way why is: -4 the best setting for the CD-DA format ? ]

> I just try to understand if this +4 setting is a more or less general rule for
> the PX-712A and the DVD-Video format or just a matter of luck ?

It’s not at all a general rule, other discs/recording strategies give different results.

> and by the way why is: -4 the best setting for the CD-DA format ?

It’s not, see above.

I don’t understand what you mean, at this link:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9346&PageId=12

• Page 13
    VariREC (CD Format)

I read that: « As can been seen on the graphs above, the lower the step the better the quality is. The normal writing is placed exactly in the middle of the jitter levels »

This is valid for this set of disks : just using a different brand or even a different batch from the same brand may behave differently.
I think wat they stated here is only valid for this example and should not be generalised.