How to extract MPEG from DVD by Titles?

1. I used VOB2MPG to extract MPEG from DVD. But I end up with a big MPEG file instead of a MPEG for each Title. I then have to use VideoReDo to split them.

Is there a easier way (freeware preferrably) to get Titles from DVD ?

1. Is there any freeware to extract DivX from DVD ? And extract by Title ?

2. Is there any freeware to extract MP4 from DVD ? And extract by Title ?

3. Comparing DivX and MPEG4:

• for the same quality, which file is bigger ?

Thanks.

If your dvd is not encrypted with one of the newer structural protection schemes, you can use DVDShrink to select individual titles to rip to the hard drive. Do this in ReAuthor mode. (click on DVDShrink in the previous sentence to get to the download here at cdfreaks).

The output will be a small dvd video that you can then run through Vob2Mpeg to get to mpeg files. It is still a two step process though.

To get divx from dvd you will need to convert the video. Mpeg4 is a file type and can use different video codecs, like divx, xvid and H264, none of which are used in dvd-video. DVD video is always mpeg2.
To convert to mpeg4 you can use conversion programs like Handbrake or Megui, or Xvid4PSP. Handbrake seems to be very popular for this.

Where do you plan on playing these files? Most older stand alone dvd players need dvd video, many newer ones can play divx or xvid in .avi container files. A few can use mpeg4 I believe. Blu ray players vary on what they can playback also, so you need to find out which formats are compatible with your particular player.

The smallest files at the same general level of quality will be encoded with H264 in .mp4 or .mkv files.

AVIDeMux can encode in XviD or MPEG4 and can do it one titleset at a time. Rip the entire movie than dra a VOB from the VTS you want to encode and it automatically indexes and appends all of that titleset.

Thanks for the answers.
I intend to watch on my phone. So I guess I’ll use H264 format.

Can I trouble you further ? I can’t find the split by title option. I’ve read the wiki… can you give me some tips ? Thanks.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2308957]AVIDeMux can encode in XviD or MPEG4 and can do it one titleset at a time. Rip the entire movie than dra a VOB from the VTS you want to encode and it automatically indexes and appends all of that titleset.[/QUOTE]

Each title will be a separate set of VOB files. They’re named like ‘VTS_01_01.VOB … VTS_01_XX.VOB; VTS_02_01.VOB … VTS_02_XX.VOB; etc.’.