How to extrack BIN from EXE for Lite-on?

OC-FREAK => Here you have a nice thing : LITEON-EXE-to-BIN firmware extraction utility!!!
It’s from Czech republic by Zdenek Jindra.
Cool. Don’t think?

Link is here :

http://www.cdr.cz/rekordery/liteon/firmware/litefirm.zip

Bye

P.S.
Great job OC-FREAK!!! You are our GURU.

Why should You do that if You have .exe already?

Why? Talk about it with OC-FREAK.
For example when you have Lite-on 40125w and will want 48125w, EXE firmware is not functioning because another model.
And when you haven’t BIN, upgrade is not possible.
Ok. It’s not problem for 40125s or 40125w but another model which has not any BIN on net, you have trouble.
Example:
Hypoteticaly you have Lite-on 32109s(not exist:-)) with firmware XC03 and you have downloaded new XC04. It’s EXE. Ok. Let’s upgrade! Ooops!! Failure!! Dead Lite-on.
What now? Second attempt. Oooops! EXE is not working because is checking version of Lite-on and firmware is broken. Second thing is that - with EXE is not possible downgrading. Not all newer firmwares are better than older.

Now you have good argument using this tool.

Sorry for english.

Why talk about OC-FREAK?
He want firmwares only in BIN and not in EXE.
And when is only EXE firmware and not BIN, it’s easy for OC-FREAK to convert it for yourself.

Sorry OC-FREAK.

Thanks for the program

Yes the program is very nice.

The author of the program was even able to help me with another serious problem I had today.

Hi OC-Freak

Myket bra for Sverige saan at klare sig til naeste runde af VM

I download the program, does it need to be run in dos? Any can someone post a tutorial to show users how it works and the commands required.

Thanks in advance!!

chrome:)

Now I maybe found a bug!!!
When I compared OC-FREAK BIN for 40125s ver. ZS0A and original from LITE-ON in EXE(after extraction by this utility), it’s NOT SAME!!! There are differences in begining of the file.
Why? I can’t answer it. Maybe bug in Utility(LITEFIRM) or maybe BIN extracted with MTKFLASH on OC-FREAK page is corrupted.
I contacted author. Later post answer here.

It is simple. Run it in command line and you see this :

LiteON-IT EXE-To-BIN Firmware Extraction Utility. Reanimate Your CD-RW
© Zdenek JINDRA, 2002 http://kickme.to/zdenek zj.zj@tiscali.cz
This program is from The CZECH REPUBLIC! Look at www.cdr.cz
»»»»»»»»» I do not make anything else than FREEWARE. Enjoy! «««««««««

Error 6 has occured.

Parameters: LITEFIRM <exefile> <epromfile>
The operation is done immediately and any existing file is overwritten.
No file is overwritten, if the source file didn’t contain a valid firmware.

For example in DOS, WINDOWS or WIN command line type this :

LITEFIRM ZS0A.exe ZS0A.BIN

That’s all.

But check post above!!!

Damnit, I just made a web page explaining how to do this. It’s pretty easy to do yourself. Oh well.
here You can run this from a command prompt. browse to the directory where the program is and type “LITEFIRM sourceexe destination” The binary t created was correct for my TDK 241040B.

The program is not compatible with:

[list=1]
[li]LTR-0841
[/li][li]LTR-12101B
[/li][li]LTR-12102B
[/li][/list=1]
It is Compatible with:

[list=1]
[li]LTR-16101B
[/li][li]LTR-16102B
[/li][li]LTR-24102B
[/li][li]LTR-24103S
[/li][li]LTR-32123S
[/li][li]LTR-32125W
[/li][li]LTR-40125S
[/li][li]Other OEM’s like TDK
[/li][/list=1]

Sure about LTR-16101B? That one is sanyo chipset so I doubt it will work.

and maybe LTR-12102B wil work, but I don’t think so as this may only work with windows EXE files?

I would most like to see if it can also reverse engineer the BIOS.bin extracted :wink:

How frustrating I tried it as a test with VS04.EXE. I placed it in the same place in the same directory as Litefirm.exe

I went into DOS and into the Directory where I had Litefirm.EXE and VS04.EXE and put in

LITEFIRM VS04.EXE VS04.BIN

and it told me that VS04.EXE did not contain Liteon firmware.

Can someone explain this:confused:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Sure about LTR-16101B? That one is sanyo chipset so I doubt it will work.

and maybe LTR-12102B wil work, but I don’t think so as this may only work with windows EXE files? [/B]

Well, I don’t have all of these drives, so I can’t test them, but the program says that it found valid firmware in the .exe. The author could have done his homework and made it compatible with multiple chipsets.

I have a 16101B. However, it is already at TSOW (Firmware version). Perhaps if a new firmware version is released, I can try it.

Originally posted by tylau
I would most like to see if it can also reverse engineer the BIOS.bin extracted :wink:

What do you mean? You want a program to re-insert the bin into an exe? Not a bad Idea! Or do you want someone to reverse-engineer the firmware? (like you said I guess)

Originally posted by dhc014
What do you mean? You want a program to re-insert the bin into an exe? Not a bad Idea! Or do you want someone to reverse-engineer the firmware? (like you said I guess)

Yes indeed.

Well I did that yesterday, I replace the FW portion of the EXE files with the BIN files. Now I have two EXE files to flask back and forward with ZS0A and VS02 FWs.

Thanks for the guide :bow:

Alejandra,

Could you please post the formula and explain how you did it.

I tried the following with Vs04exe and Zs0g.exe but they did not work. I put them in the same folder as Litefirm.exe. Then I went ionto DOS and used this formula:

LITEFIRM Zs0G.EXE Zs0G.BIN

I was told then that Zs0g.exe was not valid Liteon firmware. I really would like to be able to do this. Please help.:bow: :bow:

I just follow th dhc014 guide http://dhc014.8m.com/fw

If you see the ZS0G is a DOS program, an the ZS0J is a WINDOWS program, LITEFIRM is only for WINDOWS programs.

If you want the ZS0G BIN file, flash your drive with it and extract it with MTKFLASH.

:slight_smile: