HOW TO ERASE FROM CD-RW and regain the space

Can I get a CDrom to behave something like a regular drive: write, update (overwrite) and erase, regaining the space.

My understanding was:
with XP you can keep adding to a cd (RW) (uses a cut down Roxio, built in) but erasing files does not restore the space unless you erase the whole disc.
To erase files and regain the space you need purpose built software, like Nero or Roxio.

Am now using NERO 7 ESSENTIALS and having little joy.

Make data CD
Add 2 files (2x1mb) - space used 2mb
remove 1 file
space used should be 1mb
instead space used is more!

What do I want to do?
Add files for backup purposes, delete some occasionally, update the backed up files by overwriting them.

I am spoilt by the convenience of my Zip Drive using Zip discs, but the low capacity…

I used the BackItUp section of Nero to back up several drives and partitions and some large sections of drives (using DVD), but for this exercise I want use a CD.
Helpers are appreciated

Hi
To use a CD-RW the way you say you will need a packet writing software.
If you’re using Nero the part of the package that does that is InCD, a program that will run at start up of the machine.
Packet writing it’s not heaven and can rise some problems - apart the ones of reliability - including possible conflict with other programs you may have installed (ok, you can minimize that if you don’t have it running in the background, but for that you have to take it from startup.
The file sys used by packet writing software (including InCD) is UDF and XP alone cann’t write to it.
UDF allows you to drag&drop to the CD to copy files and to delete or overwrite files.
IF you use InCD, you only need it to format the discs and having it running in the background (the only thing you’ll notice will be the icon at the botton tray). Apart from that you will do what you need just the same way as if you were doing it to the HDD.

Thank you.
will check it out.

Can I ask the same question in respect of a doing this with DVD (including which kind of DVD disk) please?
thank you

Same story.
But Multisession or Packet-Writing on DVD is no good choice.

Hi,

No. A CD-R is a write-once media. CD-RW is slightly different: You can regain disk space if you copy the data back to your HDD, reformat the disk and copy the data back.

[B]Make data CD [/B]
Add 2 files (2x1mb) - space used 2mb
remove 1 file
space used should be 1mb
instead space used is [B]more![/B]
This normal.

[I]I am spoilt by the convenience of my Zip Drive using Zip discs, but the low capacity… [/I]
Does your drive support DVD-RAM? If so, then this is the solution. Apart from a DVD-RAM capable DVD-writer you need an UDF file system driver (Ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers) and of course one or two DVD-RAM discs. After formatting (UDF 1.5 preferably), you can handle a DVD-RAM disc like a ZIP disc with 4 GB :slight_smile: No additional software is needed then, you drag-n-drop your files from Explorer or your favourite file manager.

Michael

[B]Originally Posted by rockerz[/B]
Can I get a CDrom to behave something like a regular drive: write, update (overwrite) and erase, regaining the space.

[B]mcihael respnds:[/B] No. A CD-R is a write-once media. CD-RW is slightly different: You can regain disk space if you copy the data back to your HDD, reformat the disk and copy the data back.

By CDrom I meant CD-RW thinking that CD-RW = [B]R[/B]e[B]W[/B]riteable CDrom.

Anyway “My Computer” refers to my burner as "DVD-RAM Drive"
Does this refer to RAM discs. I use Ram disks in my DVD Recorder in my HI FI system so it would be good to be able to use them with my computer as well. As long as Nero Essentials will work with them I would say I am home free!

DVD-RAM Drive refers to DVD-RAM discs aswell.
But you cannot use any available DVD-RAM media type with any reader or burner, check the specs of the drive first.

Hi,

indeed, your DVD/RW drive supports DVD-RAM discs (normally the non-cardridge type)

I use Ram disks in my DVD Recorder in my HI FI system so it would be good to be able to use them with my computer as well.
Yes, you can. Please check the specs of your drive. Single sided 4.7 GB, non-cardridge, 2-3x speed should be a safe bet. Preferred brands: Panasonic, Verbatim, Maxell
As long as Nero Essentials will work with them I would say I am home free!
Install Panasonic’s UDF driver as mentioned above and don’t use CD/DVD writing applications to put data on the disc. Windows Explorer or any other file manager is okay.

Michael

Is that a Toshiba driver or Panasonic? My DVD is LG