How to enable Gigarec 1.4x on 716A?

Not in the standard, but in the drives.

Well, from what I have read in the various forums, this is what I know about the 1.4x, GigaRec and BlindWrite stuff:

Firstly, the main reason for the 716 not supporting 1.4x is that the drive just isn’t physically capable of shrinking the pits so much in a reliable way - Look at the error rates when you burn CDs; They are much higher than burning DVDs and also much higher than with a dedicated CD burner. This is to be expected since the drive’s optics are optimised for DVDs and not CD’s.
The fact that only the Premium and a few other drives can read 1.4x discs is also a good indication that it’s just that little bit too far outside tolerances (CD spec allows for a certain ‘lee-way’ with it’s specs, which is why GigaRec discs can still be read on other drives. Good quality drives (i.e. With more accurate pickups & stepper motors) can read them easier than bad quality drives because the good quality drives will have higher tolerances for out-of-spec burns).

IIRC & AFAIK, VariRec is the old name for GigaRec; There’s nothing majorly different in the tech TMK (And technically GigaRec is newer ;)). This is just the Plexy name 'tho; It’s real name is something like HD-Burn.

BlindWrite - The cool burn-anything trick in this that lets you burn CD’s without using Twinpeaks apparently takes advantage of a bug in the Premium’s hardware, which is fixed in newer drives.
From what I understand, BlindWrite is able to change the Premium’s Giga/VariRec setting on-the-fly, so instead of it being 1.2x or 1.4x all the way, it starts at 1.0x, changes to 1.2x, then to 0.8x etc.
The 716 cannot do this; It won’t allow changes to be made once the burn has started.

The reason this works, and the reason Twin Peaks works, is that these type of copy protected CD’s monkey about with the CD spec even more, and has pits/lands which are deliberately too long or too short. Normal scans of the disc will ignore this, just interpreting it as another 1/0, but the protection software looks out for this odd latency in the reading to verify the disc is real.
Blindwrite+Premium works by deliberately slowing the burn so that those pits/lands are stretched as they are in the original.
Twin peaks tries to simulate this by burning the same pit/land combo twice in a row in such a way that the CD drive reads both blocks, but interprets the two as a single block (They have the same index numbers or something?). Because it takes longer to read the two even 'tho only one result is produced, the lag is detected by the protection software.

As for seeing this on DVD’s, I’m certain we will, but not for a while.
To do what Plextor are doing, you need components of MUCH higher tolerances to be able to consistently and reliably burn so close to the edge of tolerance.
I reckon we’ll see GigaRec for DVD’s when BlueRay/HD-DVD becomes as mainstream as DVD is compared to CD :wink:

I can’t agree on that. On the one hand, you can’t compare C1 errors with PIEs. And on the other hand, my error rates on CDs are incredibly low, good media provided, look here.

IIRC & AFAIK, VariRec is the old name for GigaRec;
AFAIK, it’s not. VariRec is about the strength of the laser, GigaRec is about the length of pits and lands.

Neither can I. It was to my surprise too (that’s why i still have a Premium) but both the 712a and the 716a turned out to give excellent results with quality CD-media. My scans show no or very little differences in error rates compared to a Premium. In some cases the Premium even ‘looses’ because 52x vs 48x (almost always) will give worse Jitter. IMHO the 716 (and the 712) are among the best CD/DVD combo-burners out there.

Right. It’s laser power and spinning speed and not the same.

Man… you two must be luckier than me!

My DVD error rates are generally sub-10, whereas my CD error-rates are more like sub-50 :frowning:
By comparison my ancient 4x Mitsumi burner could do sub-20 CD burns on even cheap-ass media!

You guys are right about the VariRec/GigaRec thing; I’m getting the VariRec name confused with the real former name of GigaRec… anyone know what it’s actually called? I’m sure it was Vari-something… VariRate?!

My PX-716A burns TY @48x perfectly.

GigaRec AFAIK has its origins in Sanyos “HD-Burn” (http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/index.html). It never was called anything else than GigaRec by Plextor (AFAIK). I don’t know if anyone else ever implemented it and under what name except for Sanyo under the original name in their own drives.

As for Varirate i’m not totally sure, but apparently it describes a technology where only a part of a disc is recorded at at GigaRec-like change in density of Pit/Land for copy-protetion reasons.

If it’s true that GigaRec 0.6x & 1.4x are being done away with in favour of settings like 0.9x & 1.1x, I’m all for it! I bet the 1.4x setting has given nothing but problems to those who actually needed to use it. On the other hand, I bet there’s many of us that need to burn a bit more than 82 minutes / 720 MB on a CD and could benefit greatly with a GigaRec 1.1x setting. I know I could, as I have several single MP3s that are above 720 MB.

Wow! That’s awesome (about the past 100- and even 140-minute reading in those old players). I think the reason why many drives/CD players can’t handle a TOC or playback past 99 min 59 74/75 s is because even 90-minute CDs weren’t out yet, let alone 99-minute discs and GigaRec. It actually does make sense, as I doubt anyone really thought that a CD’s tolerance can be pushed so far.

PS: Can those 99-minute CD-Rs be overburned, then combine the GigaRec 1.4x with it? That would = 140 to 144 minutes of stereo 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio on a single CD.