How to enable DMA

vbimport

Hi all,

Been trying to enable DMA in my Dell Latitude E6400 - I’ve done the normal things like in Device Manager and making sure it’s set to DMA if available, however, it’s still burning in PIO.

I remember on my desktop having the same problem and I had to change settings in the BIOS, but for the life of me, I don’t know what to do with the BIOS on the Latitude - it’s nothing like the BIOS on my desktop - I had posted up here about that and got it fixed with lots of help.

This is what it looks like:

Is there something on here that I need to change? If so, where? Or is there some other way of ensuring that DMA is enabled?

Hi,

I’ve done the normal things like in Device Manager and making sure it’s set to DMA if available, however, it’s still burning in PIO.
So, what is the current transfer mode (as shown by device manager)?

See also: http://winhlp.com/node/10

I seriously doubt, there is any DMA/PIO related setting in Bios. You may be able to switch the operation mode of the integrated Sata controller to ACHI or IDE, but that’s all. I would leave this setting “as is”.

Michael

At the moment,

Primary IDE Channel

Device 0

Device type : Auto detection
Transfer Mode : DMA if available
Current transfer mode : Not applicable

Device 1

Secondary IDE channel

Device 0

Device 1

As I said, I had the exact same problem with my Dell desktop and it was resolved by making a change in the BIOS - apparently it’s something that often needs done with a Dell.

But the BIOS on the laptop is totally alien to me - I’ve no idea where to look to change the settings - if indeed I can.

Hi,

if “Not applicable” is reported, then there is normally no drive attached to this controller.
Like your HDD, your optical drive is Sata, so it is very likely connected to one of the Sata controllers of your laptop. But I have no idea why there are still IDE controllers listed. :eek:

You may check if installing Intel’s latest storage controller drivers helps resolving the problem.

And again: there is no DMA/PIO setting in (modern) laptop Bios versions.

Michael

Actually a Dell notebook of that vintage is more likely to still have an IDE optical drive.

I don’t know when (or even IF) dell switched to SATA controlled optical drives in their notebooks, but I know my 1525 is still an IDE optical drive.

so if there is an IDE contoller there, it’s to control the optical drive.

Yes, the HDD is SATA.

AD

…or the controller runs in compatible mode (legacy) yuck instead of AHCI
//Danne

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2538692]Actually a Dell notebook of that vintage is more likely to still have an IDE optical drive.[/quote]Vintage? This laptop is roughly one year old.

I don’t know when (or even IF) dell switched to SATA controlled optical drives in their notebooks,
They did. Look yourself.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2538710]…or the controller runs in compatible mode (legacy) yuck instead of AHCI
//Danne[/QUOTE]In that case there would be an entry in the IDE channel properties either indicating UDMA or PIO modes.

Michael

Well, I’m no further forward. I’ve downloaded and installed every update I can find (half of them I didn’t even know what they were) - BIOS, chipset and goodness knows what else.

But the bloomin thing still says the same.

Anybody got any more ideas???

[QUOTE=mciahel;2538727]Vintage? This laptop is roughly one year old.
They did. Look yourself.

In that case there would be an entry in the IDE channel properties either indicating UDMA or PIO modes.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the MFG date of my Dell 1525 is FEB09 and it has an IDE optical drive, your model was introduced in November of '08 making it a contemporary of my computer.

Typical life in the marketplace for laptop computers is often as short as six months.

And I said “that vintage” because I haven’t physically examined any newer models… yet.

AD

Hi,

we need some more information.
Please open Device Manager. In the “View” section, select “Devices by Connection” (the titles may be different, but I hope, you got the point).
Then expand the storage controllers trees to see what drive is connected to a certain controller (see example screenshot below) and post the screenshot.

Thanks, I hope I’ve done this right

Unfortunately, the screenshot is unreadable. The forum software shrinks the pictures to have them fit into the website, plus we don’t need your desktop’s full screen size.

Use a simpe picture manipulation tool (I like Irfan View for that job) and cut only the interesting stuff. Make sure, all branches that deal with storage (IDE, RAID, SCSI whatever) controllers are expanded so we can see the drive’s entry.

I guess, the drives are hooked to the ICH SATA RAID controller. In that case, there is no PIO problem.

Michael

Sorry about the previous image. Hopefully this is better and I’ve got all the information that you need exploded.

Thanks. This makes things clear.
The drive is connected to the Intel ICH Sata RAID controller (Raid is not a good idea for optical drives), so PIO is not a matter here. (btw why do you think, there is a PIO issue?).
First thing I would try is to install latest Storage drivers directly from Intel. Formerly they were known as “Matrix Storage Software”, now their marketing decided to change the name to something else I don’t remember exactly.

Additionally, uninstall the SD device marked with the problem indicator.

Michael

Thank you. I installed drivers direct from Dell but I’ll go to Intel and get the up to date ones.

I use ConvertXtoDVD and when it’s burning, it’s showing PIO mode and taking quite a while to burn a disc - hence the reason I thought there was a PIO problem.

[QUOTE=Alison556;2539750]
I use ConvertXtoDVD and when it’s burning, it’s showing PIO mode and taking quite a while to burn a disc - hence the reason I thought there was a PIO problem.[/QUOTE]Perhaps this software can’t handle the way your Sata controller is configured. Switching to a non-RAID operation mode in Bios would be better (unless you have two HDDs installed). But since I am not sure if Windows would survive this switch, this should be done when a reinstallation of Windows should be done anyway.

To rule out a software issue, you could let the ConvertX simply create an ISO image, which you then burn with ImgBurn.

Michael

There is still a yellow mark…