How to eliminate commentary on playback?

vbimport

I have a commercial DVD (The Quiet Man - Collectors Edition) that will play normally from the main menu, but if I stop the movie and begin playing again, it gives me the movie with commentary (the third audio track on the disc). This happens on 2 different set-top players.

I was unable to find anything in the help file that applied to my particular situation, but since I know next to nothing about DVD structures and commands, I may have overlooked something that would have pointed me in the right direction. How can I use DVDRP to have the disc go to the main menu every time the “Play” button is pressed on my players? In addition, is there a resource available on DVD structure that would help me as I learn to use DVDRP? Any assistance would be appreciated.

I think this is the behavior of your set-top player. If you press Stop once, the player still remember the last position that you stop and resumes playback, with the last selected audio/subtitle track, when you press Play again. But if you press Stop twice, it could start the movie from the beginning. At least this is how it behaves on my settop players even if my dvd has a commentary track.

Is there audio track 1 and 2? Did you modify the DVD in any way?

You cannot program the Play button to go to the main menu. On your remote, there should be a Menu (or Root) button. This will go to the main menu.

To understand DVD structure and commands, the manual would be a good start. Check also the Appendix section. Also the new debug feature in DRMP will help you understand how DVD is navigated, using Step button to trace step-by-step. The Command Edit dialog also provides a brief description of what each command type does. One good site you want to read is http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/index.php. If the first time you don’t understand as there are lots of terminologies to absorb, read again and again. You will one day understand how it works.

Thanks for the reply, toadddub. The site you gave is great; I’ll need to set aside some time to [B]really [/B] go through it.

You’re right about the behavior of a set-top player when the Stop button is hit twice. With all other movies I’ve played, they start from the beginning when fully stopped. However, with this version of the Quiet Man, the commentary track commences. Remember, it is the [B]commercial[/B] disc that does this (on 2 players), so it is something inherent in the structure of this particular DVD. I was hoping that I could correct it with DVDRP, but am too much of a novice with it to be effective with anything other than the basic commands. If it’s a relatively easy fix, I may be able to pull it off, but I should probably “hit the books” first. Thanks again.

What region is this? What track number is the commentary track? If you don’t mind, zip the ifos and menus shrink to still with no audio. Upload somewhere. I’ll see what’s up.

Don’t have to use DvdReMake to convert menus to still. Use MenuShrink instead. Drag the original VIDEO_TS.IFO into MenuShrink. Uncheck “Keep Audio”. Hit Process. Shrink each menu. When done, select all IFOs and VTS_0x_0.VOB (main menu vob only) and zip them up using 7-zip compression program or whatever you have.

Now you can Restore Backup to return to the original state.

[quote=toaddub;1372148]What region is this? What track number is the commentary track? If you don’t mind, zip the ifos and menus shrink to still with no audio. Upload somewhere. I’ll see what’s up.

Don’t have to use DvdReMake to convert menus to still. Use MenuShrink instead. Drag the original VIDEO_TS.IFO into MenuShrink. Uncheck “Keep Audio”. Hit Process. Shrink each menu. When done, select all IFOs and VTS_0x_0.VOB (main menu vob only) and zip them up using 7-zip compression program or whatever you have.

Now you can Restore Backup to return to the original state.[/quote]

My guess is it’s checking a register before executing a resume command.
Does this DVD have a paused screen. I think my Babylon 5 DVD does that. When you hit stop it actually goes to a PGC and pauses until you hit stop again or play. Most DVDs stop and the DVD hold the position and it then it resumes playing the video. The point is you can add commands to alter this normal behavior and they seem to have messed up while doing so. Still, this is an odd DVD.