How To Edit a DVD on Mac Computer

vbimport

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to edit a church DVD of a service. I work in our media ministry at church and I am in the process of learning how to do the different jobs in this ministry. Each Sunday we record the services but we are not doing much with the DVD’s because they need to be edited. We use a Mac computer.

Is there a particular software I need? and hopefully it is free.

Thank you for any guidance I can get.

I don’t have a Mac myself but Apple iMovie comes with OS X and is apparently very good.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Actually, iMovie is separate from OS X, though iMovie and the other iLife applications do come standard with most Mac machines by default. If not, it can be purchased Nd downloaded on the Mac App Store if you’re using a supported version of OS X, or old versions can be purchased on disc on Amazon and other sites.

As for using it to edit DVDs, I’m sure iMovie could indeed be used, though it may force you to copy the video content to a single file and create a new DVD from scratch. For the copying of a DVD to a single video file, a program like Handbrake will work.

Exactly how much do you need to edit the DVD?

For simple editing Avidemux works on a Mac and it’s free.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

[QUOTE=Albert;2670750]Actually, iMovie is separate from OS X, though iMovie and the other iLife applications do come standard with most Mac machines by default. If not, it can be purchased Nd downloaded on the Mac App Store if you’re using a supported version of OS X, or old versions can be purchased on disc on Amazon and other sites.

As for using it to edit DVDs, I’m sure iMovie could indeed be used, though it may force you to copy the video content to a single file and create a new DVD from scratch. For the copying of a DVD to a single video file, a program like Handbrake will work.

Exactly how much do you need to edit the DVD?[/QUOTE]

Hello Albert, thank you for your help. It really depends on what was recorded that Sunday. We recorded a Christmas play and I want to edit it and take out all of the dead space and any frames that don’t add to the program. I believe these files were or on this computer but I think some of the files that support these programs were deleted by our Youth Pastor.

The steps you are talking about, are they easy to follow or do they take having a knowledge of the Mac system. I grew up using PC’s, and that is all I own. I am learning the Mac through church.

I know getting the video from DVD using Handbrake would be fairly simple, as would importing it into iMovie and figuring that out (I believe tutorials exist). As for Avidemux, I haven’t used it, but if Whappo recommends it, it must be worth a shot. For what you need, it could be more straightforward and have equally helpful tutorials on the Internet.