How to Downconvert BD to DVD

vbimport

I read a thread about BD->DVD conversion that seemed like the closest thing to what I’m after, but it just talks about converting to multiple DVDs to playback on the PS3.

What I’m after is the ability to downconvert to a single DVD that can be played back in a regular DVD player.

To explain further, movies with intense visuals or audio I’m buying on BD – I have a PS3, a 1080p screen, and a sound system that can more than keep up. However, the other half sometimes wants to retreat to the bedroom and watch movies on her DVD player. We butt heads sometimes on titles that I want to buy in BR, because she might want to watch them in the bedroom.

It seems like the perfect solution, if it’s at all possible, would be to go ahead and buy the BR, then make a DVD copy that she can use. Downconverting to 720p is acceptable, but we really only need 480i since she has an SD TV in the bedroom. At 480i I could probably get away with single-layer media, saving a bit of $. Buying another BR player is the least attractive option, since with the quality of the TV/Stereo in the bedroom that would be a waste.

Another possible solution that may render all of this moot is a feature that has been announced but not released yet, whereby you can copy a BR movie to a PSP and watch it there. The PSP has higher resolution than her SD TV, and the slim PSP(which is what I have) is capable of output over composite/component cable(composite would be appropriate here).

I am looking for a downconvert-to-dvd option because ultimately that would be more convenient. Is there such a solution? I looked at the first 3 pages of threads in this forum and tried a search and came up empty-handed.

I will eventually find time to read the BD-burner review stickies, but if someone wants to offer a summary that would be helpful. I am planning to build a new PC sometime this year and really don’t have any old baggage that needs to be carried along, e.g. no concerns about “what to do with the old drive”, etc.

I understand your point. Is nice to just get a blu-ray movie and make a backup to a single DVD disc for viewing on non HDTV screens in another room.

However I don’t think there’s an easy and friendly application (at least now) that able to do one-click-solution to downcovert the Blu-ray to DVD quality. I guess it also defeat the purpose of High Def.

But if you like to tweak and have more time, there’s many application out there (free or paid) that can help your purpose. I haven’t try it yet but did you look at DivX Converter? It is able to convert Transport Stream file to DivX and burn to DVD.

I have a similar issue with one more added step. What I did was up scaled my old HK movie DVD that were not anamorphic, and using the ZOOM on my HD TV to make 1.85:1 fit the 16x9 (which is actually 1.78:1 AR) cuts out half of the subtitles, so the best way for me is to scale up the resolution to HD and stretch the AR or convert it to anamorphic than of course bring it back to SL or DL SD-DVD. Well there are a few programs that will upscale, Boris continuum UpREZ for Final Cut Pro Mac, which is nice but takes forever to render. And Instant HD from Magic bullet, but to render the video must first be interlaced using another software. Anyway I digress from addressing you question. Once I do what I need to do and UpRez and “re-anamorphic-ized” my video up to HD 1080P, I use Nero Recode to render it back down to fit either a SL or DL SD-DVD (it give you a choice). So far not a lot of problems, it crashes every now and then because I am doing this on my year old lap top and don’t want it to eat up my main desk top because the whole family shares the usage of that one. So perhaps look into. I’m not necessary recommending Nero, actually, I dispise Nero for it’s lack of control but yet appearing to give you control over your material. So give it a shot. If not than I’m in the same boat with you when I say I wish there was a one stop shop program to Upconvert to boost resolution and then down convert it back to burn to SD DVD. But for now just have to suck it up and cut around the corners. Good luck.

I have a similar issue with one more added step. What I did was up scaled my old HK movie DVD that were not anamorphic, and using the ZOOM on my HD TV to make 1.85:1 fit the 16x9 (which is actually 1.78:1 AR) cuts out half of the subtitles, so the best way for me is to scale up the resolution to HD and stretch the AR or convert it to anamorphic than of course bring it back to SL or DL SD-DVD. Well there are a few programs that will upscale, Boris continuum UpREZ for Final Cut Pro Mac, which is nice but takes forever to render. And Instant HD from Magic bullet, but to render the video must first be interlaced using another software. Anyway I digress from addressing you question. Once I do what I need to do and UpRez and “re-anamorphic-ized” my video up to HD 1080P, I use Nero Recode to render it back down to fit either a SL or DL SD-DVD (it give you a choice). So far not a lot of problems, it crashes every now and then because I am doing this on my year old lap top and don’t want it to eat up my main desk top because the whole family shares the usage of that one. So perhaps look into. I’m not necessary recommending Nero, actually, I despise Nero for it’s lack of control but yet appearing to give you control over your material. So give it a shot. If not than I’m in the same boat with you when I say I wish there was a one stop shop program to Upconvert to boost resolution and then down convert it back to burn to SD DVD. But for now just have to suck it up and cut around the corners. Good luck.