How to disable write protect on DVD-RAM media in Windows Vista?

Once upon a time when I used Windows XP I’ve installed Panasonic DVD-RAM driver to format and write protect my Verbatim DVD-RAM media. Now I’m using Windows Vista and I can’t erase or format this media because it’s write protected. Tried to use this DVD-RAM driver but it won’t work with Vista. I have two burners, TSSTcorp TS-L632D (SC04) and Pioneer DVR-111 (1.29). In XP both show up as DVD-RAM drive, but in Vista they show up as DVD-RW drive. Please suggest.
Thanks a lot.

If you have a standalone, try it with that.
Else, maybe try with dvdinfopro and imgburn.

I tried to erase with ImgBurn, it says “persistant write protect”. As I remember, I didn’t disable write protect on my DVD-RAM disc when i had XP on my computer. It is possible in Vista anyway? Or anybody can suggest any software for that. I found Panasonic driver for Vista but only for Matshita DVD drives (Panasonic OEM?) and it doesn’s work for me.

I got a HP DVD-RAM Burner 1040i. I bought it for the lightscribe capabilities. What is DVD-RAM? What can it be used for?
Thanks

If you have Nero then InCD can set the write protection (at least it can with XP, I have never tried with Vista).

The Panasonic DVD-Ram driver installer can be easily modified to allow installation without a Panasonic drive present. There are instructions here - http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/hacked-panasonic-dvd-ram-device-driver-113829/

I’ve just had an idea (so it’s untested). Some virtual CD drive software allows you to change the name of the drive (I don’t think Nero Imagedrive will but I seem to remember that you could with CloneCD and some others). If you changed the drive name to start with Matsushita the Panasonic DVD-Ram driver might install without modification.

I don’t have Nero.
I cannot install panasonic DVD-RAM driver, it says that it cannot be used on this operating system (error code 043):frowning:

Hi,[QUOTE=Hannez;1973766]I don’t have Nero.
I cannot install panasonic DVD-RAM driver, it says that it cannot be used on this operating system (error code 043):([/QUOTE]
You’d need a Vista compatible version:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/drive/internal/extra/sw9574drv_vista.html
Installer has to be patched in order to to run with no Panasonic drive present.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1973770]Hi,
You’d need a Vista compatible version:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/drive/internal/extra/sw9574drv_vista.html
Installer has to be patched in order to to run with no Panasonic drive present.[/QUOTE]
Can I patch it in Vista same way as in XP? Tried to follow these instructions above but it’s for XP

[QUOTE=Hannez;1974124]Can I patch it in Vista same way as in XP? Tried to follow these instructions above but it’s for XP[/QUOTE]Since it’s the installer, that will be patched, this method should also work for the Vista version.

I’ve returned back to XP now… I don’t like that Vista access hard drive too frequently plus other annoyances.

Pardon any intrusion, but I need some advice. Double-sided DVD-RAM is very useful for my video projects. The Plextor PX-810 external burner does everything but Blu-Ray and can be had for under $120. But I’m curious:

The new 2.4GHz macbook’s internal optical drive can read from but not write to DVD-RAM (surprising as it’s a Panasonic drive, who practically invented DVD-RAM). But the Plextor PX-800 drive in my Dell 8300 desktop can do both. The Dell has Windows XP Pro, as does the macbook, via Parallels.

Of course, I could connect both machines via USB and copy movie files from the macbook to the Dell’s hard drive. Then I could burn them to the Dell’s Plextor burner.

But is there a way I can burn the movie files from the macbook directly to the Dell’s internal burner? Remember, the macbook also runs Windows XP, so there should be no OS compatibility issues.

Step-by-step instructions would be a big help.

@ gregory battaglia,

If you are not aware the last DVD Drive actually manufactured by Plextor is the Model Number PX-760. All “Plextor” labeled DVD Drives after Model Number PX-760 are not actually manufactured by Plextor.

Before purchasing a so-called “Plextor” DVD Drive suggest saving yourself some Money and visit the CD Freaks Plextor Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/) and conduct some research concerning the PX-810(SA). You will find that the so-called “Plextor” PX-810(SA) is actually a Pioneer DVR-112/212. A real Pioneer DVR-112/212 is substantially cheaper a fake labeled “Plextor” PX-810(SA).

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1846804-post16.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1841257-post1.html

Regards,
bjkg

Hi,[quote=gregory battaglia;2025164]Pardon any intrusion, but I need some advice.[/quote]Maybe a new thread would be more useful? Nevermind.

Double-sided DVD-RAM is very useful for my video projects. The Plextor PX-810 external burner does everything but Blu-Ray and can be had for under $120.
That is 100% extra tax for a Plextor Label on a Pioneer drive :wink:

The new 2.4GHz macbook’s internal optical drive can read from but not write to DVD-RAM (surprising as it’s a Panasonic drive, who practically invented DVD-RAM).
This is not surprising since features like DVD-RAM can be easily disabled by custom firmware.
But the Plextor PX-800 drive in my Dell 8300 desktop can do both.
This is surprising since Dell loves to disable DVD-RAM capabilities. This Plextor is also not built by Plextor. If I remember corretly, this is a NEC rebadge.

But is there a way I can burn the movie files from the macbook directly to the Dell’s internal burner? Remember, the macbook also runs Windows XP, so there should be no OS compatibility issues.
You already own an external burner? If so, then just connect the external drive to the Mac.
If not, then you could establish a network (connect both computers via Xover network cable if they aren’t yet connected via network) to make the ressources of the other computer available. It should be possible to just share the DVD-RAM writer over the network and then just put the files there. Having Panasonic’s DVD-RAM driver installed is a good idea. Or Nero’s InCD. (I succesfully used that method with my computer running W2k, where a second drive is assigned to the DVD-RAM part of the drive if Panasnic’s driver is installed.)

Please note, this method is only sufficient for DVD-RAM using it like a removable Harddisk. It is not intended for regular CDs or DVDs.

Michael