Yep, I tried everyone that they had there. I even tried flashing with the same ROM I dumped off of the drive.
The ROM writer had no problems dumping the current ROM to file so all connections seem OK. The was the only USB device I had.
I saw this in the notes but did not know how to tell if I had "A". Perhaps the 03395A was the indicator. Or maybe they did not label the first chipset "A".
For now I have moved my DRU-710A into the case since I use it mostly for scanning and odd jobs now. It seems to burn at 8x no problem in this setup but the reading was a little slower. I thought it might actually be the other way around.
Thanks for everyone's help. I am on the hunt for a new external enclosure now.