How To: Crossflash 212D to 212

vbimport

Its finally happened. Thanks to the brilliant work of the DVRFlash team its now possible to crossflash your 212D to the 212. The files you will need are located here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/38802385/212Dcrossflash.rar.html

The above file contains DVRFlash 2.5, the kernel, and firmware for the 212. The firmware installed will be 1.22. From there you can flash to with the latest pioneer official firmware which is 1.24. The DVRFlash command to run is:

dvrflash.exe -ff D: S0013000.122 S0013001.122

Say yes to the warnings and the flashing will then proceed. After which you reboot and you will be at 212 with be firmware 1.22 installed. Take note the command above assumes your drive is D so change as necessary. The kernel for the drive came from Pioneer China which supplied the kernel with this firmware. Thanks!

Thanks Sarcoptic! :flower:

Thank you, Sarcoptic!

Pioneer china…the link you had posted does not work, sadly…

Wow didn’t take them long to pull that link…you are correct chef the china link is now dead…

how about 212L

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917/#post1852636

thanks

Thanks Sarcoptic… worked like a champ… Nice to add DVD-RAM write capabilities to the drive though I don’t have a ton of DVD-RAM media.

Np…I don’t have any DVD-RAM discs but my e-penis is now larger now that I can write to it if I ever want to…

The above file contains DVRFlash 2.5, the kernel, and firmware for the 212. The firmware installed will be 1.22. From there you can flash to with the latest pioneer official firmware which is 1.24. The DVRFlash command to run is

just a note on this, you can use the latest firmware 1.24 and the 1.22 kernel to update, no need to use 1.22 and then update again

Any DVR 212L kernel?

Worked like a charm, now hopefully someone will come out with the Buffalo Kernel.

[QUOTE=Sarcoptic;2017194] The DVRFlash command to run is:

dvrflash.exe -ff D: S0013000.122 S0013001.122

[/QUOTE]

Is the second “f” necessary? According to the DVDFlash -? help screen, only one is normally specified. Also, wouldn’t the “-k” flag also be needed to put the drive in the kernel mode? See the following:

usage: DVRFlash [-[f][k][s][v][y][#]] [device] [kernel] [general]
Most features are autodetected, but if you want to specify options:
If no device is given, DVRFlash will detect all DVR devices and exit

-f : force flashing - required if converting or flashing Kernel
            -k : put drive in Kernel mode
            -s : silent-mode - don't display disclaimer
            -v : verbose-mode - display more detail about drive
            -y : yes-mode - respond 'Y' to all prompts
                 STRONGLY NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NORMAL OPERATION
            -# : force alternate key for unknown DVR-109+ drives
                 0 = Universal Key (DVR-108)
                 1 = PIO-ADV
                 2 = GENERAL
                 3 = ASUS
                 4 = ASUS_NL
                 5 = PIODATA
                 6 = MEDION
                 7 = OEM_EXT
                 8 = OEM_INT
      -? or -h : display this help message.

Is the second “f” necessary? According to the DVDFlash -? help screen, only one is normally specified. Also, wouldn’t the “-k” flag also be needed to put the drive in the kernel mode? See the following:

yes to crossflash, you need -ff, or it will not flash, -f will only work if you flashing the same drives firmware 112D>112D

[QUOTE=PumaUK;2024222]yes to crossflash, you need -ff, or it will not flash, -f will only work if you flashing the same drives firmware 112D>112D[/QUOTE]

Thanks - it worked well!

Now, does anybody have the kernel for the 212D? I assume I would need that if I wanted to flash back to the D version, however unlikely that is.

@ FordMan,

Suggest visiting The Dangerous Brothers Web Site for DVR-212D v1.15 Firmware ->

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#DVR212D

This is TDB DVR-212D RPC-1 v1.15 Firmware and using the Media Code Speed Edit tool and applying “Allow Same To Same Flashing” patch to the Official Pioneer DVR-212D Flasher you will be able to upgrade to Official Pioneer unmodified version 1.21/1.22/1.24 Firmwares if that is what you desire.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2026611]@ FordMan,

Suggest visiting The Dangerous Brothers Web Site for DVR-212D v1.15 Firmware ->

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#DVR212D

This is TDB DVR-212D RPC-1 v1.15 Firmware and using the Media Code Speed Edit tool and applying “Allow Same To Same Flashing” patch to the Official Pioneer DVR-212D Flasher you will be able to upgrade to Official Pioneer unmodified version 1.21/1.22/1.24 Firmwares if that is what you desire.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. Thanks. I forgot that I followed that route for my DVR-111D drive.

The reason I wanted to be able to switch back and forth is that I’m comparing write strategies. I found that despite the fact that the EU Pioneer site clearly states that MKM-001 media at 6X CLV, it in fact uses ZCLV, with 4X for only the first 670 MB or so, and also a similar amount on the second layer (if it is a full disc) near the burning end. This is with 1.24 firmware. This seems VERY backward. My DVR-111 drives are able to burn at 6X CLV on this media without issue and with great quality…

@ FordMan,

You are wasting your time switching between the DVR-212D and DVR-212 version 1.24 Firmwares. The Firmware Write Strategies for DVR-212D version 1.24 Firmware and DVR-212 version 1.24 Firmware are EXACTLY the same. Firmware Write Strategy wise there is no differences between the two versions 1.24 Firmwares.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2026968]@ FordMan,

You are wasting your time switching between the DVR-212D and DVR-212 version 1.24 Firmwares. The Firmware Write Strategies for DVR-212D version 1.24 Firmware and DVR-212 version 1.24 Firmware are EXACTLY the same. Firmware Write Strategy wise there is no differences between the two versions 1.24 Firmwares.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

OK, then perhaps I need to copy the strategy from the DVR-111 firmware to ensure I get true CLV burning at 6X. Is this possible? I posted a thread about this in the MCSE thread, but no answers yet. I also pointed out that MCSE shows a second MCC-004-00 entry with no speed numbers. I’m having occasions where the DVR-212/212D will only show 4X burn speed for this media, but others with identical codes in the same spindle show all speeds through 18X… I’m guessing it’s caused by the duplicate entry that might have the recorder default to 4X.

Is it possible with MCSE to not only specify the speeds, but the method, i.e. CLV vs. ZCLV, or am I limited to merely copying the strategy from one media type to another?

I hope there will be a way to crossflash 215D to 215 or 215L.

I hope there will be a way to crossflash 215D to 215 or 215L.
Sure there will… soon, linky. :smiley: :flower: :iagree:

:wink: