How to create video clips from instructional dvd?

A coworker of mine has purchased some instructional dvd’s on eye surgery (he’s a surgeon). The disc is macromedia protected and can only be viewed on a computer AFTER installing a program on the disc. Is there a way to create a disk of the video clips from the dvd? He wants to just use a few selected clips in a slick powerpoint presentation that he’s working on.

Thanks

Since this is a commercial product you’re asking about I’ll leave it up to a Mod to decide if what your friend wants to do is legal or not. For now I’ll only say that yes, it can be done.

Fair use is extremely complicated and normally decided on a case by case basis in the US, but for purposes of discussion on these forums, we allow this type of question. Taking clips for use in another format from a dvd that you own is allowed here.

Can someone point me in the right direction/ thread to find info? I’ve tried various searches here, but I’m coming up empty. Probably using the wrong words or phrases in my search. He’s giving a talk abroad week after next and I need to get this done or tell him no go.

Thanks again:bigsmile:

The first step is to rip the dvd to your hard drive removing the copy protection. A program like DVDFab can do this and offers a free 30 trial. Once you have the decrypted movie on your hard drive there are several freeware programs available to cut out just the clips you want to use, Avidemux is one such program. If you need another program to author a new DVD using just the clips you want, DVDFlick will do this. So start by ripping the disk to your hard drive and if you have questions about using the other programs, post back. Another option for decrypting is to use VLC and select Convert/Save from Media and choose Disc and make sure your DVD drive letter is correct then select Convert/Save and use the mp4 profile, enter an output file name and click start. This option is slower as you rip only at playback speed, 1X. If you don’t want to create a new DVD, just burn the clips you want to disk. I don’t know what video format Powerpoint supports. I forgot about DVDShrink but I see Kerry56 has that covered.

Get the trial for AnyDVD. Use the built-in ripper within AnyDVD by right clicking on the fox icon at the bottom right, and then click Rip Video DVD to hard disc. This may be overkill, but should get rid of the copy protection. Let us know if this step fails, because then you have some trouble.

Once on the computer, you can use DVDShrink to select the sections that you want out of the dvd-video by using the ReAuthor mode and the Start/End Frames tool. Each section you cut out with DVDShrink will be a small dvd-video without loss of quality.

DVDShrink is free to download and use. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Shrink You can find a lot of guides at that site for using Shrink.

What format do you eventually want the clips to be in?

Edit: Whappo beat me to the punch by a minute. I’ve used AviDemux on mpeg2 before, and don’t like its tendency to lose sync. If I were going to use something other than Shrink to cut out sections, I’d use a program dedicated to cutting mpeg, like the trials for VideoReDo or one of the Womble programs.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587532]The first step is to rip the dvd to your hard drive removing the copy protection. A program like DVDFab can do this and offers a free 30 trial. Once you have the decrypted movie on your hard drive there are several freeware programs available to cut out just the clips you want to use, Avidemux is one such program. You will then need another program to author the new DVD using just the clips you want, DVDFlick will do this. So start by ripping the disk to your hard drive and if you have questions about using the other programs, post back. Another option for decrypting is to use VLC and select Convert/Save from Media and choose Disc and make sure your DVD drive letter is correct then select Convert/Save and use the mp4 profile, enter an output file name and click start. This option is slower as you rip only at playback speed, 1X.[/QUOTE]

I already have anydvd; clone dvd and img burn. When I tried to run clonedvd, it ran into an error and couldn’t proceed. Is DVDFab better? I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks

If it’s just simple CSS encryption then DVDShrink alone should be able to do the job.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2587533]Get the trial for AnyDVD. Use the built-in ripper within AnyDVD by right clicking on the fox icon at the bottom right, and then click Rip Video DVD to hard disc. This may be overkill, but should get rid of the copy protection. Let us know if this step fails, because then you have some trouble.

Once on the computer, you can use DVDShrink to select the sections that you want out of the dvd-video by using the ReAuthor mode and the Start/End Frames tool. Each section you cut out with DVDShrink will be a small dvd-video without loss of quality.

DVDShrink is free to download and use. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Shrink You can find a lot of guides at that site for using Shrink.

What format do you eventually want the clips to be in?

Edit: Whappo beat me to the punch by a minute. I’ve used AviDemux on mpeg2 before, and don’t like its tendency to lose sync. If I were going to use something other than Shrink to cut out sections, I’d use a program dedicated to cutting mpeg, like the trials for VideoReDo or one of the Womble programs.[/QUOTE]

I already have anydvd/clonedvd and dvd shrink. Been using these for years.
When I right click and hit rip to hard drive, I get “drive E is not ready”. Drive E is the correct drive and the disc is in there so there’s some sort of protection that’s blocking anydvd here I guess:(

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587536]If it’s just simple CSS encryption then DVDShrink alone should be able to do the job.[/QUOTE]

dvd shrink alone (with anydvd in the background) isn’t working.

Try to play the disk using just VLC.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587539]Try to play the disk using just VLC.[/QUOTE]

what’s VLC?
In order to play, it looks like I have to go through a setup program that then spits up an error with java and doesn’t proceed any further.

gonna have to leave for an hour and come back later to continue with this project.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It doesn’t sound like a normal DVD with a Video_TS folder but rather something made with a special video authoring program. Can you “Explore” the disk and see its contents? What files/folders can you see if any?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587547]http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It doesn’t sound like a normal DVD with a Video_TS folder but rather something made with a special video authoring program. Can you “Explore” the disk and see its contents? What files/folders can you see if any?[/QUOTE]

these are the folders I see:

Eyemovies PH1 for OSX.mpkg
mem.cont (img.cont and vem.cont)
autorun
eyemovies
files
media
readme
setup

The mem.cont folder stores the Quicktime clips in the vem.cont folder. I tried copying the Quicktime clips to my computer and then viewing them with Quicktime, but also I get is the audio - no video whatsoever.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587539]Try to play the disk using just VLC.[/QUOTE]

tried VLC and I just get audio just like when I used quicktime player:sad:

O.K. So not your standard video disk. I really don’t have a lot to offer except to try a screen/audio capture program like CamStudio, http://camstudio.org/. Maybe someone else with more ideas will post. You could try to play the Quicktime clips with VLC just to see what happens. If they play, just use the convert/save option to ouput them as mp4 to your hard drive. Oops! I see you already tried VLC.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587560]O.K. So not your standard video disk. I really don’t have a lot to offer except to try a screen/audio capture program like CamStudio, http://camstudio.org/. Maybe someone else with more ideas will post. You could try to play the Quicktime clips with VLC just to see what happens. If they play, just use the convert/save option to ouput them as mp4 to your hard drive. Oops! I see you already tried VLC.[/QUOTE]

yup, very puzzling and annoying. Whatever this protection scheme is, I must say :bow::bow::bow:. Guess my buddy is SOL:bigsmile:

Thanks all for your input and suggestions:flower:

You will need a screen capture software like this :

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
The trial was free when I used it.
I had a police video I needed a better copy of.
On the DVD the police provided it would only play the DVD with the QBXVeiwer on the DVD itself. I played the DVD on my computer & captured it with the software above.
The Camstudio Whappo posted can probably do the same.

[QUOTE=cholla;2587562]You will need a screen capture software like this :

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
The trial was free when I used it.
I had a police video I needed a better copy of.
On the DVD the police provided it would only play the DVD with the QBXVeiwer on the DVD itself. I played the DVD on my computer & captured it with the software above.
The Camstudio Whappo posted can probably do the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I’ll give that and/or Camstudio when I get back from dinner. Will post again later tonight (I’m on the West Coast).

Thanks for all the help and advice. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get this project to work. I’ve met my match:a