How to create labels for cds

hi,im interested in knowing how to create labels for cds but i havnt got a clue how its done,how are the pictures put onto cds? is it done with sticky labels with the picture on the sticky label or are the pictures printed directly onto the cds?
can someone advise me on tools/software/hardware and other things i will need to create labels.
also do i need to use certain types of cdr’s or will any cdr’s do?
as i say im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and any help would be gladly appriciated.

Some CD’s can be printed on, most can’t.
To print on the CD directly you also need a printer who is capable of handling this, there aren’t many around.

In most cases people print on adhesive labels and apply them onto the CD with an applicator.

This last procedure is often used. There are even silver adhesive lables, making the CD even more real after the label is stuck on it.

Disadvantage is though, you need to apply the label in one try, there is no retry. If you try to peel off the label, you are most likely removing (parts of) the top layer (the reflecting layer) of your CD and thus making it a defect.

The second disadvantage of this adesive label business is that when the label is not exactly aligned to the centre of the CD, the CD may become out of balance and make a lot of noise in your player, or at worst, even shatter in your drive.

There are many programs out there that can help you design labels (check here). There are many brands that sell such labels. I believe even Avery has such labels, but of that I am not sure.

Nero does have a cover editor included in its software.

Hope this helps out a bit

ps next time, please do use a title that actually describes your question and make all of our lives easier

that does help,thanks.
ive researched it a bit and i believe there are tools which you place cds/labels in and when you click the tool together its stuck together in the right place,has anyone tried these,any good results.(i believe one of them is called pressit).
so would the labelling process usually be done before or after burning?

labels are afixed AFTER Burning.
diffferent brands of labels stick with different results…some stick and last for years, other last a few weeks…trial and error are the best methods

I usually make my own lables. Buying professional lables are too expensive for me. You may be looking for something better but here’s what I do and it work fine for me.

I bring up the Nero Cover Editor and make the label. I’m sure any other program works fine. I set it so it only prints the label itself, the outside border, and the inside border. I then print it out on regular paper. I cut it out, usually with an x-acto knife on the inside and scissors on the outside border. Then take a glue stick or regular glue (apply a thin amount) and and apply the glue to the top of the CD. The stick the label on and wait for it to dry.

As I said, it works for you but you may be looking for something more professional. Also, some CD’s say you can’t put a label on them. I normally ignore this warning but do it at your own risk.

Ive got an older version of CDWizard which includes an easy tool for creating labels. Maybe today there exits a newer demo version…

I really like Sure Thing labelling software. Get yourself a plastic thingie for applying the labels. My favorite type came with Memorex labels and software.

Originally posted by oranges unknown
hi,im interested in knowing how to create labels for cds but i havnt got a clue how its done,how are the pictures put onto cds? is it done with sticky labels with the picture on the sticky label or are the pictures printed directly onto the cds?
can someone advise me on tools/software/hardware and other things i will need to create labels.
also do i need to use certain types of cdr’s or will any cdr’s do?
as i say im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and any help would be gladly appriciated.