How to create an install cd from partitoned restore media

vbimport

Gentlemen and Ladies,

essentially, I wish to ask about a/n issue that was somewhat intollerable as I read it from googles archiving of the message. the thread is located here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/windows-xp-media-center-cd-how-create-installation-repair-disk-194209/index2.html.

I Have a similar question, But I assure you all , I appreciate any asistance that you may give and have dispensed with arrogance long ago, unless it applies to my “know it all children.”

I have a emachine t-3302. It has 2 drives c:, and d: d has the restore media and it is the partitioned drive. I want to created a slipstreamed restore/install to get rid of this partition and all the mcafee and norton and other things that were on a pay per update schedule. This is not the best computer but is all I have. If i had the money, I would have taken care of this long ago. I am trying to support my family on my va disability checks. I tell you all this so you know I would buy new os if I could. However, I had a friend who did this all the time for the army, but he has passed from injuries sustained in afganistan and I never learned this from him. the t3302 model has an intergrated motherboard, video sound etc and shares resources, or ram if you will. It came installed with xp home as the os. Obviously, It did not come with the installed os on cdrom or I would have no need to post here about that particular thing. Before my friend passed he was trying to explain it over the phone, trying to tell me what files when viewing the contents of the partition, to copy, but he had a limited time to speak on that day. something about my i386 folders and the like. I have seen the end result of his work so I know there is someway to do this. I have seen him doe this using an sp2 cd as well, I thought you could not create a slipstreamed cd with an sp2 disk but he was one for always proving me wrong. so…Does anyone know how this was actually done? and yes google is my friend and it led me here , among other places.

any help would be really appreciated, I just cant afford to purchase anything at the moment.

thank you

Mark

Hi and Welcome!

first, and most important question: Is there an i386 folder anywhere on your HDD? It’s size should be about 420 MBytes (roughly).

Additional question:
Some computer manufacturers install applications that allow cdreating recovery CDs or DVDs from the recovery partition. Please check if such an application exists.

Asking Google for “create install disc from i386 folder” reveals lots of useful articles. Just the first two I stumbled upon:
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml
http://www.pcwelt.de/index.cfm?pid=829&pk=120947

Michael

Mciahel,

thank you for responding so quickly. Yes, I can see the i386 folder[s]
it is a very large capacity. I believe it is slightly larger then 420 mb. The search terms I used are different then the selection of words you used. I guess, essentially, I am trying to recover the winxp home, as I do not have the oem software, it is in the partition, and I guess I want to slipstream it and get rid all the crap that is contained in it. I have had to perform a destructive re-install before, that is the only thing their setup will allow. I have the ability to make a set of disks, in that you are correct, but it makes me use all of the programs that came with the original set up. you cant separate it. there is no option to just create os disks. you have to put the mcafee and the norton and msworks and other trial ware on them. the sp2 disk I have was given to me by compaq as I bought 2 laptops at the same time built to order for my kids and they sent me one for free. I am able to view the certificate and serial numbers etc, but it does me know good and there was very poor customer assistance before the warranty ran out, from emachines. I had to download a copy of something called pc angel to view the partition contents. I can get a copy of an educational version of win xp pro from the last university I worked at as they said they have bulk licensing and they give copies to their masters students, but I am advised that it may mess up my drivers and etc. any further help would be greatly appreciated. I will look at those links below.

be well

Mark

[QUOTE=mciahel;2092415]Hi and Welcome!

first, and most important question: Is there an i386 folder anywhere on your HDD? It’s size should be about 420 MBytes (roughly).

Additional question:
Some computer manufacturers install applications that allow cdreating recovery CDs or DVDs from the recovery partition. Please check if such an application exists.

Asking Google for “create install disc from i386 folder” reveals lots of useful articles. Just the first two I stumbled upon:
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml
http://www.pcwelt.de/index.cfm?pid=829&pk=120947

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=wildthing423;2092451]
thank you for responding so quickly.[/quote]You’re welcome:)

Yes, I can see the i386 folder[s] it is a very large capacity. I believe it is slightly larger then 420 mb.
That’s good. The i386 folder on a XP Home CD with SP2 is 509 MB btw.

I am trying to recover the winxp home, as I do not have the oem software, it is in the partition, and I guess I want to slipstream it and get rid all the crap that is contained in it. I have had to perform a destructive re-install before, that is the only thing their setup will allow.
I know these crappy “recovery” solutions :a My nearly 6 yrs old Toshiba notebook came with two CDs containing a Norton Ghost image of the factory preinstallation. Crap.

I have the ability to make a set of disks, in that you are correct, but it makes me use all of the programs that came with the original set up.
I would create these discs anyway, You don’t know what they may be good for.:wink:

I had to download a copy of something called pc angel to view the partition contents.
A live Linux disc is very nice for this :slight_smile:
I will look at those links below.
The first one looks very promising. I built my install disc according to a similar Howto that was published in a german computer magazine some years ago. You need the key that is on the sticker which is located somewhere on your computer case.
Also, you may need to activate Windows by phone.
Some other hints:
For your first trys, I’d recommend using rewritable media. Also, you may setup some virtual computer software like MS Virtual PC 2007 to test your home-made install discs before you start formatting your disc.

[ol][li]And integrate Service Pack 3, skip SP2. There is a ~320 MB download “for network administrators” available on MS Download Center.
[/li][li]Search MS website for “Support Tools” and for “deploy.cab”
[/li][li]Search your HDD for “ntbackup.msi” also.[/ol]
[/li]Add these to your install disc.

I am sure, I still forgot something :wink:

Michael