How to copy any DVD Movie!

How to copy any DVD Movie!

Hi everyone.
In this thread I’m going to show you how to copy almost any DVD Movie. The first thing you will need to do is download these three programs to copy the DVD. Click on the program to go to another site, where you can download it. (I could not attach one program to the thread because the program is a little over 2mb) They are:
DVDFab HD Decrypter
DVD Shrink
DVD Decrpter(not needed if you have Nero)

The best thing about the programs is they are freeware! :slight_smile:

What to do

1. Install DVDFab, DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter(not needed if you have Nero). You may need to restart your computer. (Add this page to favourites or Bookmark this page to come back to it after reboot.)

2. Open DVDFab and insert the DVD you want to copy. Close any Autoplay windows, programs, options, etc.

3. Choose what you want to copy, the “Main Movie” or the “Full Disc”. (The other options are only available in the Platinum version of DVDFab.) If you’re in “Main Movie” you can choose the subtitles (if available) and audio streams you want in your copy, then click start. DVDFab will start copying the movie to the hard drive.

4.Once DVDFab his finished copying the DVD to the hard drive, exit DVDFab on open DVDShrink. You don’t need the original DVD anymore.

1. In DVDShrink go to “Open Files” and find My Documents (for Win XP) or <username>\Documents for Vista. Then find DVDFab -> Main Movie (or Full Disc, depending on what you choose in DVDFab) -> <the name of the movie> then click OK. DVDShrink will analyse the DVD files on your Hard Drive. Once that’s done click on “Backup!” in DVDShrink. If you have Nero click OK. If you don’t have Nero, under “Select Backup Target” choose “ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter” and click OK. DVDShrink will encode the DVD, then DVDDecrypter will burn it. Make sure before you click “Backup!” you have a blank DVD in your DVD Burner.

2. There you have it, a copied DVD. It is a good idea to delete the DVDFab folder in My Documents or Documents after you have completely copied the DVD. If you don’t have Nero it is also a good idea to go to My Computer or Computer -> C:\ and deleting the name of the movie you just copied (eg. ICEAGE2.iso or ICEAGE2)

If you’re wondering why I didn’t use DVDDecrpter to rip the DVD to the Hard Drive that’s because DVDdecrpter is from 2005 and it can’t copy today’s modern DVDs. Also because with DVDFab it is a lot simpler.:iagree:

Please PM me if you have any questions!

(Please Note that backing up your DVD Movies for storage is legal, but distribution of a copied DVD, copying rented DVDs is illegal and I am not responsible for such thing)

1. This is hardly startling news/technique. As well, you should be aware that ImgBurn is the successor to DVD Decrypter’s burn engine and is supported by its author (whereas DVD Decrypter is not).
  2. There is a guides forum here and you have incorrectly posted.
  3. Your legal guidance is based on your knowledge of international intellectual property law as it applies to all countries? I think you should not make such pronouncements if you are ignorant of the law. For example, where I come from, copying DVDs is illegal. As well, even with fair use in the USA, copying for storage when you no longer have an original is also illegal.

Regards

(Please Note that backing up your DVD Movies for storage is legal, but distribution of a copied DVD, copying rented DVDs is illegal and I am not responsible for such thing)

As Blu stated, this is certainly not the case in the US & AUS and the law varies from country to country.

CSI Miami season 2, 7 disc set, Region 1. The episodes on the original discs are out of order. Would DvdFab take care of this in ripping to the hard drive or would you need to use something like FixVts to reset the episode order before opening in Dvd Shrink?

You’d need to re-author the disks in question. Using DVD Shrink in re-author mode is the easiest way to do this. If you wanna keep menus, you’ll need to reprogram the buttons.

Regards

Thanks for the info, but I managed to find a program that will do it while ripping to the hard drive.

“Any” DVD movie is always a bold claim. This method falls down (currently) when trying to copy Blade House of Chthon due to the insane copy protection. Therefore this method can NOT copy “any” DVD…simply a lot of them. And as others have stated, this is hardly the penultimate method for backing up discs. There are many methods out there and all are as valid as the next. In the end, as long as you’re happy with the backup quality you achieve with whatever method you use, then it’s a successful backup method.

Old news, and like was said above it will not work with ANY movie. :iagree:

Do you need to remove copy protection via “anydvd” whilst using either DVD Shrink or DVDFab HD Decrypter?

DVD Shrink will require the encryption removed for a lot of titles. DVDFab HD Decrypter will do that, however, so, AnyDVD is not required in that case. That being said, AnyDVD works just as well and does on the fly decryption.

Sorry, I am a little confusued as to what “DVDFab HD Decrypter” does? Does this just remove protection and put an image on your HDD whilst DVD Shrink will transcode it?

Instead of using “DVDFab HD Decrypter”, could you have “anyDVD” running in the background and us DVD Shrink to trascode to your HDD? This way, you eliminate the step of using “DVDFab HD Decrypter”…

DVDFab HD Decrypter is a stand alone, freeware ripper. It will rip the files of a protected DVD to your hard drive and remove all the protection so that DVD Shrink can then open the ripped files.

AnyDVD is more similar to a driver that removes the protection on the fly so that programs trying to access the DVD directly will see a “clean” DVD structure with no protection. That will allow DVD Shrink to work with MOST, NOT ALL, DVDs without having to rip them first. In that case, you would not need DVDFab HD Decrypter, that’s correct. Does that help?

Whatever anyone elses thoughts above, I have been trying to copy DVDs for the last couple of years without success. Finally, I followed the instructions on this page to the letter and they work. :iagree: Great job. Thank you.

You could have been doing well for the last two years if you’d read the older guides referred to in this thread…

[I]It will rip the files of a protected DVD to your hard drive and remove all the protection so that DVD Shrink can then open the ripped files.[/I]

Now When I use Fab, my source and destination are my Plextor burner… Drive E…
Isn’t it just easier to do this way and have it ripped, compressed, and ready to burn either with ImgBurn or Fab’s burning engine?

Not saying it’s better but not totally understanding why copying to the hard drive, then using shrink to compress then do final burn is better… or is it?

Am I missing something here? Is the final output better with the extra steps?

free :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rago88;2161928]Not saying it’s better but not totally understanding why copying to the hard drive, then using shrink to compress then do final burn is better… or is it?[/QUOTE]
Disc to disc is always more difficult since you can get buffer underruns when encoding is slowing down for some reason. Especially with new copy protections ripping the disc can result in varying speeds so ripping to hdd circumvents these issues.

Yeah…
that’s sounds plausible with buffer underun…

funny you should mention as this past week I had 2 incidents where that happened…
something about [U][I]waiting for threshold level to[/I]…etc[/U]
burn speed dropped from 12.1 down to almost zilch until whatever was going on resolved itself then speed went back up…

In past few years of disk to disk this has never popped up…
I’m hoping it was something running in the background that I was unaware of…

[QUOTE=rago88;2162180]Yeah…
that’s sounds plausible with buffer underun…

funny you should mention as this past week I had 2 incidents where that happened…
something about [U][I]waiting for threshold level to[/I]…etc[/U]
burn speed dropped from 12.1 down to almost zilch until whatever was going on resolved itself then speed went back up…

In past few years of disk to disk this has never popped up…
I’m hoping it was something running in the background that I was unaware of…[/QUOTE]

dvdfab always writes to hard drive first. always. and since you are only using 1 drive for reading and writing, your source for burning has to be from the hard drive.

the Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level… error is because your hard drive is too busy to send the data to your burner.

do you have dvdinfopro installed? imgburn keeps write graphs of all your burns. but you need dvdinfopro to view them.

[I]do you have dvdinfopro installed[/I]

[I][/I] the above software will let me see the slowdown of the burn along with the complete session but not what was running to cause it…right?