How To Convert to 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio?

Hiya, I have a set-top box toshiba DVD Player and a Toshiba Widescreen Projection TV. I’ve noticed that my TV does not really like 2.35:1 aspect ratio pressed DVD’s as it causes some squishing to the image. However the TV loves the 1.85:1 format as it utilises the display fully with no cutting of the picture and no borders (but these 1.85:1 format DVD’s are getting less and less popular which is a shame, where 2.35:1 are the norm now).

I have an xvid (attached to this post) which I would like to convert to a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Anybody know how I can do this ? Eventually I would like to re-author my other favoruite DVD’s if I knew how.

Hope someone can help.
Kind Regards.

There is no such thing as 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 when talking about DVD. There is only 4:3 (1.333:1) and 16:9 (1.778:1). I may be mistaken but I think there may also be 1:1.

A so-called 2.35:1 DVD would be a 16:9 DVD with black bars in the video stream. You should learn how to use your TV’s image-shaping options so that it does not distort images that don’t match its aspect ratio.

Expanding on the prior comment, 2.35:1 is just 16:9 letterboxed with black bars above and below.

The gspot screen you post identifies the mpv as 16:9. Note that gspot only lists 4:3 and 16:9, which are the only current formats (I’ve never seen 1:1).

Ok thanks for replies.
I am still rather confused because I have bought DVD’s which say on the back of case Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 then the numbers 1.85:1 and on other DVD’s 2.35:1, which I presumed were aspect ratios, if not, what are they ?? becase 2.35:1 DVD’s my TV does output a nice image (even If I change various TV Display modes to Cinema, Widescreen etc) whereas 1.85:1 very much suits my TV output.

In summary I wanted to know what the difference in these 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 because they do exist on the back of my original DVD cases and was wondering with PC Software if I could re-author some of my DVD’s to a 1.85:1

Thanks again.

As NRen2k5 said, “There is no such thing as 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 when talking about DVD. There is only 4:3 (1.333:1) and 16:9 (1.778:1).”

The 1.85:1 is actually a 16:9 and would play very good on a widescreen TV set (I assume this is what you have ?) The quoted 2.35:1 is the aspect ration of the actual visable picture but a black bar is encoded into the picture at top & bottom to make the final picture size 16:9. Anything where the actual picture is not 4:3 or 16:9 simply has added black bars at top & bottom to make the final image to be 4:3 or 16:9.

Yes… and even more odd, is that they are not actually encoded as 16:9 or 4:3 on DVD… all DVD content is encoded at 720×480 resolution (1.5:1 aspect ratio) and stretched by the player to match 4:3 or 16:9.

Hi Pallys,

Hve you tried using the Pan and Scan Option in your DVD Player OR your TV. It should solve all your problems.

Hope this helps.