How to convert Audible book .aa files to other audio formats

How to do this was asked in another thread.
Part of the solution was found there .
This is the method I came up with ( with some credit to others I will put below).

Download of newest version 14.3
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
Select “Install” & Save as.
You will also need the dbpoweramp Directshow codec which is free form the site.
Select “Codec Central” :
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm
Then “DirectShow Decoder” under other codecs.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-directshow.htm
Click on
“DirectShow Decoder Release 2”
Download it .
You should have got the AudibleManager when you downloaded your Audible books.
I did & got the latest version:AudibleManager Version 5.5.0.5
This worked fine with the additions below.
Audible_to_MP3_Kit
http://rapidshare.com/files/70899348/Audible_to_MP3_Kit.zip
This was made for using a version of GoldWave . Which works but it is an old trial version.
I’m not sure how long the old GoldWave trial will work. When it does it can create either .wav or .mp3 files from the .aa .
I decided to go with dbpoweramp instead . You still need a couple of files from the Audible_to_MP3_Kit.zip for dbpoweramp to be able to do the conversion.
The files are: "AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe " . This is an old file that used to be included with AudibleManager.
You copy this file to the “C:\Program Files\Audible” folder . But not into the main folder “Bin” or it doesn’t work correctly.
The second file you need is : “msvci70.dll” . Copy it to your " C:\Windows\System32 " folder .
Steps :

1. Click on the "AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe " "run as administrator & Select “Install” .
  2. Install dBpoweramp when it completes .
    Right click on the downloaded “dMC-R14.3-Ref-Trial.exe” & “run as administrator”.
  3. Install "dBpoweramp-Codec-DirectShow.exe " .
    You are done with what you need for the conversion . I already used the trial so I can only convert to .wav & a few other formats but not .mp3 . If you have not used the trial you should be able to convert to .mp3 for the 21 day trial period.
    dBpoweramp still work after the trial for all but .mp3 conversion . This means you can use it for .aa file conversion to .wav permanently . Or you can purchase the dBpowramp & it will do .mp3s also.
  4. This is an additional step. Open the .aa file with WMP & in the small "audible.com Section Navigation " window Select the rewind button. This makes sure the book is at the beginning. Go ahead & close WMP.
  5. Start dBpoweramp Music Converter & open the .aa file .
  6. I leave all the settings for the .wav as default .Which is "uncompressed " [as source] .
  7. Select convert . When it completes close dBpoweramp with its’ “Finish” button.
    You should now have a playable .wav file. (.mp3 file if available.)
    If you just have the free after trial version of dBpoweramp there are lots of software that will convert the .wav to .mp3 . I did a conversion to .mp3 & it sounds fine. The only drawback is if you want several small .mp3s of the book for navigation you will need a software that will split the one large .mp3 into small ones.

The other method is to have a version of Nero.
What I have is Nero Express Essentials from Nero 9 .
If you have already downloaded an Audible book you can just open an .aa file with Nero.
Or if the AudibleManager is still open it has an option to Burn to CD’s with Nero.
It works the same.
Once the CD is burned & you open it . There are several .cda pointer files. These are the same as tracks on an Audio CD . This makes it easy to go to a track where you stopped to book.
I tried EAC & some other rippers . The only one that would rip the tracks as a mono .wav was dBpoweramp CD Ripper.
I set to mono both EAC & CDEX both ignored this & did a 2 channel stereo .wav file.
CDEX will do a mono .mp3 file from the CD which is what you would want if you wanted to create a Data CD
or store as smaller files.
The reason to stay mono is the original .aa file is supposed to be mono . The only program I have to confirm this is dbpoweramp when I did the “rip as source” . When a 2 channel file is created it is really just a dual mono . The mono file is also smaller.

Special thanks to those that developed the process for GoldWave without that this wouldn’t have worked. Also thanks to the one that still has the old files necessary for the process available.

When I had an Audible subscription I used TotalRecorder, which is a virtual sound card and as such would force the Audible player to output at 8 times normal speed. TotalRecorder, of course, would then be ‘recording’ (capturing) at 8X. That was back a few years ago and on XP so YMMV.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2664404]When I had an Audible subscription I used TotalRecorder [/QUOTE]
I haven’t tried TotalRecorder . The reason is I’m saving using the trial till I have a project I need it on . I’ve read it is a good software.

Nice write up cholla but I believe this is much easier to accomplish with Goldwave.

for extra instructions see here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6111613_convert-aa-mp3-goldwave.html

@ xtacydima , I think Gold Wave is good software . I have the older version that is in the “Audible_to_MP3_Kit” & it is registered. The version in the “Audible_to_MP3_Kit” is only an evaluation or trial version if you don’t have the serial keys. So I don’t know how long it will work before this expires.
I would have to purchase the newest version but since the old one meets my needs I don’t plan on doing this. I did however test the newest version evaluation.
If you follow only the instructions in the link you posted Goldwave won’t do the conversion . You still have to add the "AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe " & “msvci70.dll” as I did above for dbpoweramp. I tested this by removing them.
If you leave them in the new version works .
The reason I chose to use dbpoweramp is the ability for it to convert to at least a .wav file continues after the trial & doesn’t expire. As I posted there are many freewares that do an excellent job of converting a .wav to .mp3 file .
Audacity for example . I also have the last freeware version of dbpoweramp & it will convert to .mp3. However it will not open an Audible .aa file . It will convert a .wav to .mp3 . So it is just an extra step.

If you get the new version to work without adding the extra files by following the ehow link instructions . Please post it & what if anything else you did to get it to work. It just tried & froze when I tried .

Sure I’d give it a go, can you pm me, I think this would best work if I use the same *.aa file as you attempted. This would help to keep the test environment identical.

This one made sense… http://www.ehow.com/how_6052552_convert-aa-file-mp3-file.html

has anyone tried renaming the extension to various different audio extensions?

if iTunes & WMP can read .aa files, then probably most programs can…

try dragging & dropping the .aa file into Super, and try different encoding settings…its likely some will work…

also, if iTunes can read it, QTpro likely can too, so you may be able to save it as a new Audio file, or maybe a video file then extract the audio…

all this is just speculation, as i dont even own an .aa file…

also, and this is a no-brainer… you can simply take a double-sided mini 3.5 audio jack cable and run it from your audio output port, directly to your audio input port…

then use an audio recorder like Audition to start recording, then play the .aa file in any player\

i record alot of things this way from the internet especially, the quality sounds the exact same as the original output to me…

@ chinarabbit2008 , Changing the extension doesn’t help. I think this is because of the compression level of an .aa file .
A small .aa 11 MB is 66 MB when converted to a .mp3 .

I don’t have iTunes & have no plans to install it . I’ve read it works & from the link it looks like it works similar to Nero . You use it to burn an Audio CD & work with that CD.
Here’s a list of programs that can’t VLC player , WinAmp , Audacity , & MPC-HC .
Some of those might with some settings adjustment or plugins.
WMP does I beleive this is due to directshow codec.

With a good sound card the cable method might work . I didn’t test it .
The problem with that is it has to be done in real time.
I think the majority of people don’t have Audition but Audacity should work .
Same with the Gold Wave for those that installed it .

The reason for using dBpowerAmp is this method is free.

It is also much quicker than a real time recording with a cable .
That also takes some adjustment to make sure the record level is not too high .