How to connet TV with Freeview to DVD Recorder with Video Cassette

vbimport

Hi, I’m frustrated, confused and exasperated. We have recently gone all digital in my area.

My problem is that I have a TV with freeview and I want to connect my Funai DRVR-B778 recorder to it. It was previously connected to another tv which had sky and we could record analogue OK and also SKY digital but only the prog that was set.

The recorder does not have freeview so I know that I will only be able to record whatever the freeview channel is on.

I have a scart connection from the TV (marked Ext 1[the other scart is shown as Ext2/SVHS2 which is empty]). The other end is plugged into a scart port on the DRV marked AV1 (TV). The other scart on the DRV is marked DVD/DCR AV2 decoder which is empty.

When the tv is on a digital channel and I turn on the DRV the tv jumps out of digital mode and onto analogue mode.

I can record the analogue program but just cannot get it to record digital.

I have tried swapping the scart leads about on the tv and recorder but it did not help the situation.

Any advice, help, suggestions before I go even more potty would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Voytek

It depends on whether your TV can send the TV’s digital tuner output via the Scart.

I tried finding a manual for your recorder on-line without success but try connecting the Scart lead from the Ext 2 socket to the DVD/DCR socket.

If that doesn’t work try Ext 1 and if this doesn’t work check for Scart configuration options in the TV’s menus.

The DVD/DCR socket is presumably designed to record from a DVD player so should accept the TV’s output as it’s source.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler, thanks for your input. I tried the options you suggested but unfortunately none worked.

I have the DRV owners manual and it tells me to plug the scart from the AV1 to the TV. When I do this I can play a DVD on the TV and it is perfectly clear.

If I then play a video it is very grainy. It looks as if it is going through the analogue signal. I say this because if I change the TV from Digital mode to Analogue mode I get the same grainy picture.

I still suspect it is something to do with “tuning” but what and how to fix it still baffles me.

Any ideas please

Many thanks

Voytek

If you can view a DVD properly then the connections are correct.

VHS is very poor quality by today’s standards anyway and will appear grainy regardless of what you do.

I’ve had a DVD recorder for a few years now and abandoned VHS entirely because of the poor quality .

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Voytek;2480660]Hi, I’m frustrated, confused and exasperated. We have recently gone all digital in my area.

My problem is that I have a TV with freeview and I want to connect my Funai DRVR-B778 recorder to it. It was previously connected to another tv which had sky and we could record analogue OK and also SKY digital but only the prog that was set.

The recorder does not have freeview so I know that I will only be able to record whatever the freeview channel is on.

I have a scart connection from the TV (marked Ext 1[the other scart is shown as Ext2/SVHS2 which is empty]). The other end is plugged into a scart port on the DRV marked AV1 (TV). The other scart on the DRV is marked DVD/DCR AV2 decoder which is empty.

When the tv is on a digital channel and I turn on the DRV the tv jumps out of digital mode and onto analogue mode.

I can record the analogue program but just cannot get it to record digital.

I have tried swapping the scart leads about on the tv and recorder but it did not help the situation.

Any advice, help, suggestions before I go even more potty would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Voytek[/QUOTE]
buy a new freeview box about £15-25 in England and set the video up from that, a lot of tv’s like Sony are to view only, the signal is not transferable to external units.

The best solution would be to buy a DVD recorder with Freeview built in or a hard disk based Freeview recorder (or maybe even both :)).

If you shop around you can get either of these for under £40 ATM but I don’t know if Voytek is prepared to spend any more money or not.

You can also get combined DVD/Hard Disk recorders but these are hard to find under £100.

[B]Wombler[/B]