How to connect AV and PC

vbimport

I have a Samsung LCD 26R BDX television, currently I have my playstation 3 connected to it via a HDMi cable. Also I have a bog standard DVD player connected via a scart lead. Finally I also have sky+ which is connected via the standard scart lead that comes with the package.

I will soon be moving my old pc that was upstairs as I am buying a new one. I wish to use this old pc as a ‘media centre’ type of thing. As my new pc will be connected to the internet I will have a network between the two. This will enable me to use the TV as pc screen and work between both pcs whilst downstairs.

I also will be purchasing a virtual suuround system so that my streamed dvds and bluray discs (via the ps3) can heard in a better sound than I can get at the moment.

My question is how/what do I need to do to get all the hardware connected to gether so that the sound and vision work compatibly. My old pc has only a basic sound card that could be easily upgraded if required.

list of hardware that needs to be connected together:

TV
( HDMi x2, Audio, DVI in, External A/V devices, Digital Audio output, PC connection, DTV/DVD)
Sky+
PS3
PC
Virtual sound system ( no dvd as pc has this plus the PS3 can play these)

Can I record on to the pc harddrive via the sky box so that programmes recorded can be burnt on to disc? :bow:

Everything can connect directly to your TV…at least for video. If you want surround sound, I suggest getting an Audio Video Receiver and surround sound speakers. Then simply connect the audio outputs of each device to the AVR.

You will need a TV/Video capture card in your PC (basically any card or device with video inputs) to record from your Sky+. You will have to tune the channel on the Sky+ box, and then connect a video output from the receiver to the PC.

[QUOTE=bramonair;2185838]I also will be purchasing a virtual suuround system so that my streamed dvds and bluray discs (via the ps3) can heard in a better sound than I can get at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Might be wrong on this, but I think that one of the main disadvantages of a PS3 as a blu-ray player is that it only outputs sound in stereo and not the full surround system.

Sáinte

midders

Thankyou…midders you may be right, I wil have to settle for that!

Dogg:could you be more specific with regards to th tuning of the sky+ box… ta

PS3 supports surround sound.

To record on your PC using a video input from the Sky+ box, the Sky+ receiver will be used to tune the channels (not the PC). So if you want to record channel 2, set the Sky+ receiver to channel 2.