How to confirm dvd writer is dead?

vbimport

i just set up a new rig recently, and while having an array of problems at hand… one of it was that my LG h20n IDE drive died on me. i tried to power it up but to no avail. (tried different molex cables ) however, it could detect the drive in bios. any idea is it really dead or not? tried powering up without the ide cable but doesn’t work too, so it’s not that the bus is busy.

P/S : i ejected the drive using the needle to push the gear, to take out my dvd. but after i pushed it back, and shook the drive a little, it seems that there’s something loose going on, is it normal?

[quote=randomystique1;2016902]i just set up a new rig recently, and while having an array of problems at hand… one of it was that my LG h20n IDE drive died on me. i tried to power it up but to no avail. (tried different molex cables ) however, it could detect the drive in bios. any idea is it really dead or not? tried powering up without the ide cable but doesn’t work too, so it’s not that the bus is busy.

P/S : i ejected the drive using the needle to push the gear, to take out my dvd. but after i pushed it back, and shook the drive a little, it seems that there’s something loose going on, is it normal?[/quote]
If it is recognised in the Device Manager and the Bios, and you have no power to Eject or no green light, the drive may very well be dead. Nowadays Odds are very cheap, you might just want to look into another, but first try this one in another computer, you might just be surprised;)

yeah , i got myself another GH20NS10, but still miss my h20n alot. hope to revive it or something. isn’t there anything i can try to revive it? hmm, don’t have any spare com with me now :o

[QUOTE=randomystique1;2031784]yeah , i got myself another GH20NS10, but still miss my h20n alot. hope to revive it or something. isn’t there anything i can try to revive it? hmm, don’t have any spare com with me now :o[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, and even if so it would be cheaper to buy a new drive. Check NewEgg.com for some sweet deals.

Moved to the LG forum.

randomystique1, if you think you have posted in the wrong forum, please ask a moderator to move your thread, rather than starting a new one, which is against our rules. :wink:

okay, sorry for that, admin.

alright… guess there’s no hope for my old dvd drive already… sigh.